Taking close up photos

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by QuadSportz06, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Hey,

I need some suggestions/guidance on taking highly detailed close ups of my outdoor plants..
    i have a nikon coolpix 14MP point and shoot... its 3000X4000 and i have a iphone 4s... the dang iphone focuses better than the nikon.. the nikon just doesnt cut it.. ive tried all the different settings, close up setting, flash on flash off, everything... i phone works a bit better

someone help!

MJ

2. Are you taking pics in macro mode? You have to press the shutter button halfway to let it auto focus before taking a shot.

3. ^^^^^... and hold VERY still.

4. #4 Original Past, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  5. #5 QuadSportz06, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
    yeah i use macro mode every time, and it just focuses for a split second and then goes blurry and shitty...
    it just doesnt seem to focus, i was taking pics for 30 min today when i watered. literally got a handful of "legible" photos... i guess. i was down on both my knees like all up in it trying to be still... flash made a little difference, but when you zoom in on the computer they all look like ass

i really am trying to get the close ups of the nodes, its a first time grow for me... with the help of GC it's going great!!

View attachment 123809
    View attachment 123822
    View attachment 123820

woah, thats slick.. do you have personal experience with such a device? I would be ordering from eBay, i will do some looking. Wonder how it attaches. says magnetic but the reviews say it sucks  .. i use a otterbox defender case as well, but that can change...  like you said, there are many many different types. What is best for close up? 

7. I haven't used any of these personally.  I had the opportunity to LOOK through one (the type that looks like half an iPhone case) at Cannabis Cup last year, and it looked awesome (the photo quality).  I can't speak for the quality or build of the device unfortunately.

8. Maybe you're trying to get too close? Some cameras just won't focus at too close a range. Try backing off a bit and zoom in to get close ups.
    Some cameras focus on a point of focus "spot". If the camera you're using thinks it can find that "spot" better than you can, there's not much you can do about the rest of the forest, unless of course you have the option of manual focus. 
    Point and shoots are designed with preset features to make it user friendly for the average tourist on the go. Unfortunately, this takes a lot of control away from someone who wants to do something specific.

I have tried to take pictures of my plants outdoors and more times than not the slight breeze wiggles the plant and the picture comes out blured.

9. Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I'm gonna try to use a bipod or a tripod

Sent from my LGL86C using Grasscity Forum mobile app