Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

taking a deep breathe

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by biggbear4life, Aug 15, 2011.

1. just wondering if people hold the smoke in there lungs as long as possible? i do every time and i get high off less weed. does it bug you when people suck it in and then blow out immeditley? it like your wasting the weed ever heard of cough and you off? lol

2. Like those people who smoke joints like a cig? That grinds my gears. I try to hold it in for about 20 seconds. My one friend holds it in as long as he can and when he exhales, there's barely any smoke that comes out!

3. I do the same... saves a lot of bud.

4. 99% of THC is absorbed within 7-8 seconds of holding it in your lungs. Any longer than that is really only increasing tar buildup in your lungs.

Honestly, I think it's about 90% of THC is absorbed within the first 1-2 seconds, too. It's really not that much of a waste.

5. Yeah, this. If you hold it in for anymore than 8 seconds, you're just hurting your lungs. You'll get the majority of the THC in the hit within the first 5 seconds.

You only "feel" higher because it's asphyxiation, aka lack of oxygen to your brain, which makes you feel light headed and dizzy - in your case, "more high".

6. That and placebo.

7. Well we got to the bottom of this mystery gang.

8. I do sometimes, but it seems the higher I am, the less likely I will remember to hold in every hit for so long of time

9. I agree, do not waste it!! Lol

10. Some actual science, gentlemen?

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke. (abst - 1989)
    Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smok... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989] - PubMed result

Marijuana Smoking: Factors That Influence the Bioavailability of Tetrahydrocannabinol (full - 1990) http://www.ukcia.org/research/FactorsThatInfluenceBioavailability.pdf

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration (abst - 1991)
    Response to marijuana as a function of potency and... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1991] - PubMed result

Marijuana smoking: effect of varying delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol content and number of puffs. (abst - 1992)
    http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/conte...&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=480&resourcetype=HWCIT

Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration.
    (abst - 1995)
    Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume ... [J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995] - PubMed result

Nothing like getting the facts! :smoking:

EDUCATE YOURSELF! :hello:

Granny :wave:

11. Wicked, gonna read these now, and its ladies too lol :)

12. #12 fightermaverick, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Totally agree. I give my hits about 5 seconds max.

13. i'd rather waste a little weed then damage my lungs more.

14. Yea, learned a while ago off of another thread that holding it in for longer than 10 seconds doesn't increase how high you'll get

15. 3-4 seconds and you've got like 99% absorbed, i'm 99.9% sure.

the only reason holding it in for 20 seconds or whatever gets you "higher" is because you're actually just depriving your brain from fresh oxygen, causing yourself to get light headed from asphyxiation.

16. As has already been said, around 99% of the THC is absorbed within the first 3-4 seconds any longer and you are just doing unnecessary damage to your lungs. If you are feeling higher it's simply due to lack of oxygen going to your brain known as asphyxiation, which can be damaging.

17. Yea it bugs the shit out of me...but mainly the ones who you can tell didnt even inhale the whole hit.