Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Taking a break from cannabis...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by MsDbird, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Hey guys, needed some advice on something.

I've been smoking everyday now for a number of years and I noticed my tolerance has built up severely, so I decided to take a tolerance break, nothing to unusual so far. Today is my first day on the break and the cravings I feel are overwhelming. Which got me thinking about addiction. I know cannabis has nothing physically addictive in it, but I know some people can become dependent on it.

This really scared me as I don't like the idea of being dependent on any substance (although I admit nicotine has me by the balls). I don't think I'm dependent 'cause I've never gone out my way before to get some smoke when my stash was empty, it just sorta always turned up somehow. I just wondered if you guys had any thoughts on this? Or any personal experiences that are similar to mine?

And also another thing, about this tolerance break. If I do find it too hard to continue without having a puff, would limiting myself to one spliff a day before bed count as failing the break? Or d'ya think it would help me cut down my usage? I'm afraid that I'll just end up smoking all of my stash again if I do, but I don't fancy cold turkey (for want of a better phrase).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

2. I have quit smoking for extended periods of time before. I found that going 'cold turkey' is the best method for me. If I were to limit myself to just one spliff a day like you were suggesting, that one spliff would lead to two then three and so on. Haha
    if you wanna take a break I would just commit and rid yourself of it for as long as you can. It's always nice to give the brain a break and feel sober, but def not for too long.
    :smoking:
    hope that helped some what.
    Good luck with the break!

3. If you really wanna take a t-break, use up your whole stash and don't buy any for 2 weeks. It's a lot easier to not smoke when you don't have anything to smoke. My best t-breaks are when I run out and just decide to stay that way. Also, do things that are fun that you don't normally do while you're high. Certain foods really make me wanna smoke, certain games, shows or websites. I tried to take a break and the next day I happened to make some food that I really wanted smoke before eating. Just avoid shit that reminds you of smoking. If everything reminds you of smoking, then you might want to re-evaluate your smoking.

4. You've just gotta keep thinking about how awesome itll be once its over. you could even smoke once every three or four days and probably notice a difference in tolerance

5. Addiction, dependence, habit -- whatever you want to call it, there's such a thing as too much. Quitting can be really good ...

This is going to sound really stupid, possibly, but right now I'm finding waking up straight every morning is almost as exhilarating as a really good high. I've been a regular smoker since 1986, and a daily one a lot of that time including most of the last four years. I've smoked exactly once since November 26, and that time just a single hit, and I'm feeling much the better for it. I'm so out of the habit of sustained, long-term sobriety that it's a pretty exciting, interesting thing in its own right.

6. I have to ask though, as I've seen a lot of posts like this on here. If you didn't let it take over, if you didn't smoke daily, would you still be quitting; would you still find sobriety so enthralling? Do you think there's a middle ground you could find, smoking 2-3 times a week?

7. get all the mary jane out of your house and dont go buy more for a few weeks, i have to do this myself or else a t-break just wont work
    good luck man

8. im the same way. ive been smoking multiple times a day every single day(exept for a day or two when i was dry) but ive literally spent the last year baked. ive thought about trying to take a break and ive never lasted for more than a day. but thats cause during that day i was sober i realized that i performed the same exact way so i decided to end the break and smoke again.

9. That's a fair question. For me, I think the sustainable middle ground is going to have to be more like once every couple of months or something. Seriously. Call it what you want, I'm weak like that. It's too easy to have too much ... my wife smokes, we have a more-than-ample stash, and it goes well with most of the things I love best to do. The way I've learned to live is all tied up with it.

What I'm getting at is that it's a really slippery slope. The good news is, it's not smack. You can quit, hit reset, and it's not like you go around the rest of your life aching over a big missing piece.

As for finding sobriety enthralling, though -- wouldn't it be hot to be able to keep on that way? That would be kind of the holy grail, wouldn't it?

10. You hit it perfectly. If you do the same exact shit sober as you do high, then it's a lot harder to take a t-break.

The mentality you have to break is:
    "I'm [insert activity e.g. playing video games] either way, why not just smoke and enjoy it more"

And the best way to break that mentality is to break your habits, both smoking and what you do while smoking.

11. i pretty much do everything high. during the week i wake up and vape a few bags outa the volcano and go to my classes with a slight high. then i usually get high between school and work, and defiantly before work. i wait tables and i feel that it removes a ton of the stress and pressure of waiting tables in a busy place. i pretty much only vape now so that should save me some bud and have a plus side for my health aswell.

12. Geez your tolerance is high and I thought mine was bad lol

13. I hate dependency and was very shocked to find that I've become severly dependent on marijuana even though I've only been using it for a year. For me, it's more of a matter of knowing I could have it if I wanted. My tolerance is very high, too, and I just don't get the same feeling. Mostly, I just feel burnt out.

I think you really just need to lay down some rules for comfortable usage. For me, that'll be no more indicas before the sun's down, haha. I'm going to see how cutting back to just having a bowl at night (which is what I used to do, and would always get super-excited to smoke) does before I decide to take a total break.

14. cold turkey is the best way to do it bro

15. I smoked about 2-4 times every day for about half a year and stopped for a two week T-Break. For the first 3 days it was awful, but i found out that after the 3 day hump, it starts getting a lot easier, and by the second week i wasn't even thinking about ganja, so i extended it to a three week period, no problem.
    So just wait it out and you'll be fine.

16. I'm tolerance breaking right now too. I'm on my 3rd day now and it fucking sucks. It's mainly just really really boring, but besides that I have a pretty short temper, complete loss of appetite (no desire to eat, but I still can and do), and some fatigue.

Also, I guess I'm weird, but I'm much better off if I actually DO have weed in my possession throughout my T-Breaks. Whether I'm T-Breaking or not, if I don't currently have weed, I get incredibly stressed out and 'Get Weed' becomes my top priority until I do. I don't need any extra stress if I'm already on a T-Break, so what I did this time was make sure I have a nice slice of dank in my house, waiting for me when my break ends.

I think it's something about being dependent on other people. Like, it's not like alcohol. I don't have any alcohol right now, but it's ok because if I want some later it's as easy as driving downtown. With weed on the other hand, if I want some I have to count on other people to be able to get it for me, and for all I know, everyone is dry right now and I'll have to wait until tommorrow or the next day when everyone re-ups their stash. I don't go for that shit, if I want something, I want to be able to get it and have it exactly when I want to. i guess I'm kind of a control freak, but what it comes down to, is I don't want my 7 day tolerance break to turn into a 8 or 9 day t break just because dealers are dry. However, I guess I can understand that some people just don't have the willpower to have weed and not smoke it up when they want to.

17. Again I agree with these two. You will still find yourself "spacing out". And have you thought about how long you want to take a break for? If your a bigger boy you're gonna need a longer than usual break...

18. I smoked for a year straight, then took a t-break. The first week was a pain in the ass, but after that, it was alright. Like I didn't even need bud.

I've since cut my smoking down to 2 times a week. The highs are waaay better and worth it. PLus, you save a ton of cash (bought me a 360 and MW2!).

I don't get how some of you veterans smoke every single day and not get burnt the fuck out.

19. its pretty much a lifestyle. for me not getting burnt out is just a matter of not succumbing to the temptation to sit on my ass all day. just stay active and take care of your shit and no one can call you a burnout.

20. what you gotta do is keep getting higher quality of bud and it works every time. :D