take that historical value!!

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by kanibal rabbit, May 13, 2009.

1. my mother collects antiques and found this at an estate sale.

I checked out the markings on it and after doing some research I have it dated back to the 1960's made by roth keramik of west germany.

so should I make this some functional art?;)

Attached Files:

2. Get an apprasial if you really think it's worth anything. THEN bongify it. Or sell it...

3. $40 to $70 at auction. the appraisers here are crooked as fuck they low ball the value then offer to by it from you. they offered me $60 bucks for a wedgewood collection that dated back to the late 1800's one of the bowls in the set is actually worth about $2000 the least valuable piece is worth about $500.

the drug dealers are more honest than the local businesses in this city.:p

4. mmm could you give that to me? i would like to sell it and get a toro, i could give u some oreos or something man

5. im sorry man I only take payment in the form of magic beans.

6. You already have two functional pieces of art... why devalue it?

7. well I figured its had 50 years to appreciate in value. plus $70 aint much.

8. I'm pretty sure it's what Roth Keramik would have wanted.

9. German dude approves. I guess the artist who made that piece was even a member of the 68 student movement so finally being a bong would be the best thing that could happen to his creation.

10. leave it the way it is

11. #11 kanibal rabbit, May 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
    well, I suppose im going to have to honor his wishes.

I looked up that movement and I think that pretty much made my decision. im going to put in an order for everything I will be needing.

thanks everyone.

and to those who said not to do it. sorry but this is for the good people of germany.:p

EDIT: how I take measurements on some thing like this? http://www.lotusglass.com/gongupgrade.jpg
    do I measure the whole thing or do I measure at the narrowing section?

12. thatll make one sick piece man, just make sure ya dont mess up and break it. maybe even when the dude made it, he thought hey this could be an awesome bong

13. im actually planning on using a tile bit. I spent a few years learning ceramics so I shouldnt run into any problems with the drilling.

the problem im having is finding the gromit im going to need and figuring out how to measure the gong converter I posted above.

I want to make sure this is done nicely enough to justify devaluing this very cool piece, so any help from the noble ladies and gents of GC is greatly appreciated.;)

14. #14 phosfake, May 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Bowl please?

Serious note: I'm pretty sure you just measure the width of the downstem part of it. There's another thread on the same topic, I think it should help: http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/278318-homemade-glass-bong-vase-lots-pics-how.html

15. Well, atleast you can say your the owner of the 1st Roth Keramik bong.