Take Action Now: CBS Plans To Run Anti-Marijuana Ads During The Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by RMJL, Jan 18, 2004.

1. CBS Plans To Run Anti-Marijuana Ads During The Super Bowl

Write CBS today and ask them not to allow anti-marijuana propaganda during the big game!

Go to this link and enter your zip code. It will take you to a pre-written letter where you just need to enter you name, address and email. CBS is already checked at the bottom of the list as the recipient of the letter. :)

http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=4749626&type=ML

As we approach the end of January, Americans are gearing up for the upcoming Super Bowl. For those of us in the marijuana law reform community, this means preparing for another barrage of anti-marijuana propaganda ads from the Office of National Drug Control Policy and the Partnership for a Drug Free America.

This year NORML is encouraging CBS to reject these ads by persuading the network to abide by it's stated policy of not running ads on "controversial issues of public importance." Recently, CBS cited this official policy to deny airing an advertisement sponsored by the advocacy organization MoveOn.org, which criticized President Bush's $1 trillion deficit.

If CBS is to be consistent, then they must also adhere to this policy when it comes to the ONDCP's ads. Marijuana decriminalization currently enjoys 72% support among the American public, according to the latest CNN/Time polling data. Clearly this is a "controversial issue of public importance" that divides American public opinion, and any public service announcement on the subject that promotes only one side of this issue must be considered an issue ad.

Clearly CBS only applies this standard to issue ads that they disagree with. For example, the network accepted a Super Bowl ad that discourages tobacco smoking and one from the American Legacy Foundation encouraging "lifestyle choices" for teenagers, in addition to the ONDCP anti-marijuana ads.

NORML has created a pre-written letter that you can send to CBS executives demanding they apply their policy consistently and reject the ONDCP/PDFA anti-marijuana ads. You also have the option of copying this letter to your local medica outlet so that we can keep the public appraised of this inconsistency on the part of CBS.

Please take two minutes to send a pre-written letter to CBS and your local media urging them to reject this year's anti-marijuana propaganda ads from the Super Bowl.

http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=4749626&type=ML

Thank you for your support on this important issue.

Regards,

Kris Krane
    Associate Director
    NORML

2. done, done, and done

keep up the good work RMJL

3. Here's a link to an article on it. They turned down PETA too.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=4137130

You may have to register to read it.

Here's a very small part of it that I found to be hypocritical.

"In a letter, CBS told PETA that it would not run advertisements on"controversial issues of public importance."

What do they think anti-MaryJane ads are????

4. They mention that a lot in the cbs form letter on norml, I doubt they'll care, going back on it would only bring more attention to their hypocracy.

5. Thanks RMJL, I sent it right away.

And yes CBS will care...if there's one thing politicans/networks are good at, it's being totally spineless and easily controlled by polls, letters, and statistics. CBS doesn't give a crap one way or another, but if they get the impression that viewers will turn the channel if an anti-marijuana ad comes on, they'll do their damndest to get those ads out of the Super Bowl.

Please everyone, just look at the link, you don't even have to read the letter if you don't want to. It just says, "Stop running these anti-marijuana ads, you hypocritical assholes!" You know, more or less...But the kicker in this case is they explicitly said they wouldn't run any "controversial" ads. *ahem*

6. that pisses me off. done.

7. DID IT!

If (or when ) CBS airs these messages, someone needs to sue them. To me, it would seem this is a pretty "controversial" subject, no matter which side of the 'fence' your on. I mean if the station 'promised' not to air 'stuff' like that, then they shouldnt run ANYTHING like that. I would almost bet, that the government is paying, the station, a lot more than the already HUGE commercial time. If they're not paying, I bet they 'd get a HUGE break in their taxes or something.

8. Done.

Fair is fair.. Don't run ads against. if you don't want to run ads for!!!!!!

9. Done. Thanks for the link Jilly.

10. Done and done. Not like I was going to watch the Super Bowl anyway, though. LOL

11. went with the flow