Tablet for college?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by HoneyDutch09, Aug 29, 2012.

1. #1 HoneyDutch09, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
    So, I'm looking at getting a Tablet for college and want to hear some reviews/tips from other students. I wouldn't really get it for writing notes (I'm old-school), I would mainly use it for small homework assignments and e-books. Two of my classes are online (one is writing, so I'll be using my laptop for that class), but most of my work in all classes is going to done online. Books, homework, video lectures, it's all online.

Is there any point in getting one? I would just get a used tablet, maybe $150. I would just stick it out and carry my laptop around but it's charger port is very loose and it needs a new battery.

If I don't get a tablet, I'll opt in for three textbooks which I can find online for about the same price as a tablet. I can still do all my homework at home or at the library.

2. my school library lets you rent computers, like you just check out a brand new Dell when you get there.

so if you want a tablet i would say go for it.
    but reading on something like that for hours is going to suck.
    just a warning, its like reading an e-text on your computer.
    if that doesn't bother you, then by all means go for it.
    way lighter than a few books IMO.

look into a Kindle though if youre just doing the e-text.
    way smaller and the Fire has Apps.
    plus you have a laptop so that could be for your assignments.

3. #3 HoneyDutch09, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
    Bumping this so I don't start a new thread.

I was looking around online and came across netbooks. I thought, "fuck yeah, I forgot about these. I could use the keyboard." I went ahead and fucked around on a couple at Best Buy and came down to the conclusion they aren't worth it in my price range (at most $200). With only 1G of RAM, they seem very choppy and would lag even more when I am viewing ebooks while viewing lecture notes while probably running Pandora.

So, I decided on a Nexus 7. Problem is, I don't know what size I would need. I was thinking the 8GB because I can use the cloud storage for my music. On my phone, I filled my 4GB storage quickly but that was because I filled it with music. So, with that said, I'm a little skeptical on the 8GB, but THINK it should be enough. $50 is a lot to me and thats how much it is to bump up to 16.

If you were in my shoes, would you get the 16GB or would the 8GB be enough? Keep in mind I probably won't put music on it, instead opting for Pandora or cloud storage.

I know I sound like a little indecisive brat, but +rep for the folks who help me out!

4. heads up, laptop ram is really cheap lol..

2 gb is more than enough for netbook and its only 12 for a 2gb stick from corsair...

5. i wouldnt get anything, given your situation. just rent the textbooks and stay oldschool

6. [quote name='"EEIET"']i wouldnt get anything, given your situation. just rent the textbooks and stay oldschool[/quote]

Ended up doing this. I found a cheap ass site to buy them from. Although, the nexus would cool to fuck around with.

7. yea but then you have something you dont even need.

so many people get ipads and mac book pros for college and then never even use them because theres hundreds of really good computers on campus lol

literally half the halls have huge computer labs full if i5 beasts and there is even mac labs full of Imacs for the mac fans..... (i never go in there lol)

i also got my books in text because it was cheaper then getting eboooks somehow and its easier to read from them IMO...

8. Here is a heads up...

TORRENT your books. I cancelled my order after I found out my books were online.

9. I'm scared to torrent on the college's wifi. They monitor the downloads here at App State.

All but two of the books I needed were free to rent at the bookstore. ( pay into it with out tuition)

I've been considering the nexus also. I dunno though, does seem like something I don't really need. But it seems like a great deal.

10. dont do anything illegal on campus wifi, you can get expelled i think lol.

Also i could only find one of my book online, most are 2013 and 2012 editions...

Renting them hardcover is more convenient and not too expensive...

i hate having to read on the computer because it distracts the shit out of me...

11. Books are so God damn expensive for college. Even skinny paperbacks can run you 150+ depending on the course, even for books that are easy to write like history and government shit.

12. hell yeah i'm at App. off campus though lol

13. I have a 7" Acer Iconia tab and my wife has the 7" galaxy tab. Both run android ics and work very well. I love mine for reading books, and the smaller size makes it easier to hold and type than the larger tablets. Payed $249 each. I wouldn't get a nook or kindle. For just a bit more you can get a better tablet with a full operating system.

I have a desktop, imac, and two laptops. I haven't turned any of them on since picking up my tablet. Love the portability and functionality.

14. rent them or buy used. and if its a newer book you can sell them and make like half the money back....

15. [quote name='"Jumbo"']

rent them or buy used. and if its a newer book you can sell them and make like half the money back....[/quote]

Yes siree

16. Check out the Blackberry Playbook. It's cheap, got a solid OS, plus ms office support.