T5's vs HPS vs LEDS, how many pars do you need?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by CheapHomeGrown, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Over the years I have seen some really good crops with T5's, the par level is about 200 (4ft X 4ft)
    HPS has always given a higher yield and the par ratings are about 300-500(600w 1m x 1m)with again proven large-quality yields.

LEDs have an even higher par rating, aim for 500- 700 most charts say, but what's the truth?
    Seen many growers light burn their plants and lots of growers dimming the lights down, most LED charts are showing well over 1200 pars, center under their light.

Over the last 2 years, I have been trying to make head or tails of this but the more I understand about LEDs the more confused I become, can't they bring out an led that gives you a perfect even light spread of 400 pars?
    Use half the watts and the results would speak for themself.
    lights over the years.png

2. You buy quality you don't need to understand all of that. I only care about the ppfd the distance it was surveyed at. As long as it has a good ppfd at 18 to 24 inches I'm good. I'll also research the diodes used. If you buy a cheap light that isn't up to par in all areas. Then one might need to become more knowledgable. I've even just compared specs with hlg, chill, or growers choice. Don't do that you'll never buy anything lol unless you buy one of the 3 mentioned

I've flowered under t5s a few times. If you didn't get to touch the bud I wouldnt suggest it was a good grow. On mine the tops were good the buds looked full but all but the top buds were larf. A florescent is only good up to 12 inches anything further than that doesn't recieve adequate light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. The Mars light are going to bleach your leaves, so you have to double the height or dim them down, great example, high numbers looks good on paper, never going work in the flower room.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Par reading from my home made led, based on the average par reading from the hps at 18", alway worked well for me.

20211027_171417.jpg

Could drop the led from 8" above the canopy down to 6" and par reading goes above 400 on most the canopy, but I think this will give me a really good return.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #7 GroBuddy, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    What kinda DIY?

• Like Like x 1
  6. My experience tells me a different story, had really good crops with the old-style HPS digital ballast.
    used to follow this HPS chart, what's the 13,015? is that lux?
    lux to par site
    HPS-Light-Distance-Chart.jpg

Used to keep my hood 18" above the canopy, could light up a level 4ft x 3ft canopy.
    going on the charts I can find online, there not showing over 400 par over the 4ft x 3ft canopy

does a CFL give off more than 400 par in a 2ft x 2ft flower room?

What par level do t8 give off?

I have vegged lots of plants under a twin t5, with great results, the par level could be closer to 200.

For a short time, I was that grower who kept my 600w HPS 10" above the canopy in a 2ft x 2ft room.
    my buds turned white and the leaves turned white and dried out.

Not sure an Indica plant can handle a high level of light, a sparse Sativa plant grown in the perfect environment with loads of added co2 might be able to handle levels over 1000 par but with the plant yield more bud, there's got to be a tip-off point where using the same light(watts) in a large room will give you a larger crop.

Just saw this on google, At one point a few years back, these were the best lights on the market

cmh.png

and you could replace a 600w in a 3ft x 3ft flower room.

7. This is the link to migro, its good but If you spead the bulbs out you can get a very even light spread

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Double replied, can't delete this