t5-ho for flowering...?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by d0p35m0k3r, Sep 28, 2011.

1. So I've been in debate for quite a while now about what kind light rig to invest in. I'm not happy about it, but I've recently come to terms that hid lighting is just not an option... :(
    After the cost of buying a light set up, installing a cooling system that probably won't work anyway, and energy consumption, it just isn't practical at this point.

Now I'm looking at a 2' 4 bulb 8,000 lumen t5 set up from htgsupply. Maybe 2 of them! And I'll probably add some supplimental cfls. Anyone have any advice on how you think this will work out for me? Experienced t5-ers are much appreciated! 4' is also an option, but the 2' would be much easier to work with in my situation, I didn't really note a huge difference in efficiency between the 2 sizes, but I might be wrong about that.

Thanks,
    -d0p3-

2. Ooooor, am I really just as well off flowering with cfls??

Sorry, left that out... I blame the reefer

3. T5's are way better choice if you can't use the regular lighting. Infact I'm looking into changing my lighting to T5's.

Benifits. Low heat, less wattage and you don't have to vent to cool the lights. Oh, and they are cheaper to purchase.

This is what I have learned: 400w HPS puts out 90 lumens per watt. A 1000w puts out 140 lumens per watt. A T5 28w puts out 104 lumens per watt. I'd say this is a big difference in heat and cost.

Something to consider.

4. After researching further I've seen some pretty fuckin' impressive nuggles come from t5 bulbs! The only real diss I'm seeing is "fluffy, loose" buds, and that's never from anyone who is actually flowering with them, haha

T5 it is! I'm going for it. Worst case, I have lights that'll grow a coral reef in a salt water aquarium, HA

Look out cats 'n kittens, T5 is on the way,
    -d0p3-

5. Oh yeah, I also have a thread showing my light rig made from cheap walmart "grow" flourescents, think those would be good supplimental???

6. D0p35m0k3r: Charon001 has made some good points. I've been using T-5's this year and I'm sold on them. Do you know another lamp you can have 1" above your plants that won't fry them?

They're cheap to run and I'm using them from seed propagation all the way to harvest. I have a 2' rack of four tubes with the blue 'grow' lamps over my starter and cloning tray and a 4' rack of four tubes to continue vegging over my bubble tubs. Then I swap the grow tubes to the red flowering variety.

I will warn you though that you won't get the tight, dense buds you do with the HID lighting, but you won't have the electricity bill that goes with it. Those soft fluffy buds you'll get with the T-5's will get you just as fucked up if that's your intention.

If you're growing in a tent with a highly reflective surface I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results, I know I am. Hank

7. I've been researching lumens per watt a bit recently and have actually come to these averages:
    150w hps @ 107
    250w hps @ about 120
    400w hps @ 137
    ...but
    2' t5 @ 83
    4' t5 @ 93

I know I said I was decided but I simply can't make up my mind!! Its really becoming quite a pain in my ass.
    On one hand, I feel like a 150w hps would be ideal! Small, not too hot, and its hid so I know it'll work!
    ....but considering lpw and seeing 250w hps with lpw ratings as high as 132 and switchable ballast for mh use too!?
    Shit!! That sounds a lot better!
    ...BUT then you notice a 400w hps is damn near the same fucking price! Cheaper even depending on hood and ballast options!
    But I simply couldn't keep that thing cool, so I wonder about heat and see t5 rigs and think, yes! NO heat problems there! then I think I'd like to rock about 16,000 lumens worth of 2' bulbs.... well shit, that's about 200 watts! If I'm gonna use that much juice I'd might as well go back to................... lather, rinse, repeat.

Its a never ending cycle and I'm not sure I'll ever decide!

Keep the input comin' fellas,
    -d0p3-

8. Note that most of those budget 150W HPS draw close to 300W when you add in their cheap ballasts. You cannot just go by the bulb rating.

9. [quote name='"Swami"']Note that most of those budget 150W HPS draw close to 300W when you add in their cheap ballasts. You cannot just go by the bulb rating.[/quote]

I know! That's another big turn off with the 150. I've heard a lot of people say the heat from a 250 is nearly the same as the heat from a 400 and that doesn't help my decision making at all!

10. I said my piece.

11. i grew my easy ryders with a 2ft 6 bulb t5 from htg and another 100 watts of cfls for side lighting. got a good yield but they were the fluffy buds, they may not look as nice but they deffinately get you fucked up.

12. [quote name='"Hank Alvarez"']I said my piece.[/quote]

You've been a huge help! I really wanted some first hand input on some t5 buds and you sir, delivered!
    I've seen a few people say t5 bulbs really took them to church and showed them the way.
    I am planning to flower with scrog or maybe just a buncha lst anyway so those t5s would be ideal in that way.
    And this is all in the name of my personal use and maybe a couple of close friends, so a huge chunky harvest isn't really necessary (sure does sound nice tho!) I just wanna stop dealing with the black market, ya know? I am now leaning towards a 4' 4 tube t5 set up now.

Can't make his damn mind up,
    -d0p3-

13. it sounds like you want to check out the efficientcies of a 600 hps as it will be a better producer and only cost a slight bit more. mh's would cost more and run even hotter. ive found little use for a mh on a small grow. from t-5's the girls go to the hps for a week of 24/7 then when the stretch is on i bump it to 12/12. i have 2 400 mh's that i never use. i just keep them around for emergencies like a fried hps ballast. in that case mh is better than nothing or less worse than getting shocked into a hermie from inconsistant lighting. how many plants under this supposed lighting? that is ultimately what determines what you need to do as opposed to what you want to do or afford. the t-5's would need to be butt-hair close to get good density and id get another source to help it along. a couple of good spiral cfls to give an improved spectrum. the t-5's dont have the summer sun, only the spring-like and late fall colours. a good 42w cfl will add enough to help with density if you are careful to place it well or be willing to move it around the plant as needs dictate. my homie grows tight with 26w cfls and they have a good enough flowering spectrum and with enough you can get the desired lumens well dispersed into your plant canopy, fewer will keep the heat down. i think 2-3 42ws would suffice for flowering and use the t-5's up to final veg as thats what the available light spectrum was designed for. certainly use them in addition to the 42w's as the blue light is usable but just not as available in nature. you can even get them in a 55w for under 12 bucks ea. 55s are said to equivacate to 200w incandescent. so as long as the light colour is good and the lights are kept close you will or can achieve solid nugz! my friend's grow is 100% cfl and his buds are as good as mine and i dose mine with both hps and cfls. id nearly cut them out till i noticed the buds nearest the cfls are actually bigger and fatter than the others and maintain great density. is true however that buds with poor exposure will get loose or what we call larfy buds. you'll get better smoke than any street-bag of non cured and poorly finished smoke. the actual cost minus labour is generally less than a buck a gram. this includes power, soils and nutes. if you do specialty nutes it can cost more and if you waste light it can be costly too. my meds grow under 1 600 hps but i know a fella running 3 1000 watt lights over six plants. my meds i consider as good or better than 75% of his production. he gets more buds than i do (merely larger plants) but a 200-300$ power bill to run excessive lighting. (total overkill) just some thinking points for you. now go fire a blunt and get this grow started out right!

good luck, -D-

14. Thanks deweyj!
    I am actually vegging under 7 23w cfls now and they're doing quite well in my small cab. A little hotter than I had initially expected tho..

So are you saying to add some daylight cfls when flowering?

There is no way I could keep a 600w hps cool, not at all! Last summer my cfl grow got as hot as 105 before I moved them! I couldn't imagine what that hps would run it up to!

I plan to continue vegging and cloning with cfls, I have 4 plants of bagseed now so after I flower a few I'll see what's worth keeping.

I'm only looking to flower 2 at a time, maybe 3. All finishing at different times and keeping me nice and stoney between harvests.

15. #15 Hank Alvarez, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
    Hey guys: Let's put this one to bed as it's just not that controversial. In real enclosed spaces a lot of people like the curly CFL's but they too get hot and you usually have to have a lot of them.

I've used florescent tubes, T-8's, for about 25 years and they worked fine. Recently I fell in love with T-5's. I didn't add Mylar covered reflectors to this last grow but I may well do it with the next one. They worked great on my Aerogardens.

T-5's use less energy, run cooler, and you have a variety of lamp frequencies to choose from that I didn't have with the T-8's.

There's no one fix all for everyone. You're going to have to put up your money, buy your ticket and take the ride. You might not end up loving it but so far I haven't found anyone that hated them, especially when the electric bill comes. Just make sure that your fixture is a tad longer and wider than your grow because they're the weakest at the perimeter. Hank

16. Well, I'm afraid car trouble might have put it to bed :(
    Looks like my light funds are going back into fixing my car.... ain't that a bitch??
    But I'm pretty sure 4' 4 bulb t5 with supplimental cfls is winning out... after I start saving all over again *grumble*

Having a rough evening,
    -d0p3-