T5 High Output Question: Anyone ever use Aquarium bulbs instead?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CFLweasel, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I've been doing some additonal research about T5HO and strting to change my way of thinking a bit. I'm planning on buying a couple 24" T5HO strip lights (sunblaze or similar) to supplenent my LED UFO from HTG in my stealth cabinet. I would be replacing the couple CFLs I still have in there.

Anyway, my recent research about lighting has pointed me toward the Aquarium Lighting Industry of all places. The specific wavelengths of interest are slightly different, but it has some advantages:

1) Unlike some other ventures, the legality of aquarium lighting is not in question even in the slightest, so people talk much more freely.

2) Because it is completely legal, and the equipment involved (not just the lights but everything else too- fish, pumps etc) is so expensive: that particular crowd of people wont tolerate any bullsh*t with the product specifications, period.

3) as a result- the products sold for these purposes seem (to me) to have much more information available prior to purchase (EG- the spectral output charts are sometimes easier to find) and the information seems to be more reliable...

Anyway, I haven't bought the lamps yet, but I found a company I think has some good stuff. Check out the bulbs here: AquaticLife LLC | Live It Today! Premium Marine Aquarium Products

Their "acrtinic & blue" T5HO (pdf report on spectral composition available) peaks at 420nm and 460nm. Near as I can tell 420nm is more of a light suited to coral growth, but it is still in the acceptable range for decent (not ideal, not terrible) plant use. 460nm is also pretty close to the peak areas in the blue range. The company also makes a "ROSEATE" bulb which peaks at 650nm, but the spectral chart is not available so it would be good to know what some of the other strong peaks inthe red range are...

There's also a dcent looking blue bulb here: Current USA T5HO 460nm Actinic SlimPaq Bulb Aquarium Fluorescent Bulbs

Anyway I thought I'd put one blue bulb and one roseate or similar 650nm red bulb in there alongsie to the LED ufo instead of the usual T5HO grow bulbs. It seems the bulbs for ocean life don't have nearly as much garbage light in the middle of the spectrum where plants don't use it very well.

I've included a photosynthetic response chart which I added the numbers from these bulbs to. I guessed a bit but it kinda illustrates my point...

Anybvody ever do this or think about it? I think it just may be a better formula for better supplemental lighting. From what I can tell- many "grow bulb" manufacturers simply pick a kelvin figure almost from thin air, and tell you the red one is good for flower and the blue is good for veg. They just do what they want and mark up the price :-(

Comments? :)

Attached Files:

2. the pic attatched to the first should say "650nm" in red but I wrote "660NM"... sorry :-(

3. CFLWeasel, I use a combination of various aquarium bulbs for cloning and veg. CoralLife Brand, 6700k Daylight HOT5 and GLO Brand, Life-Glo 6700k (Both from local aquarium supply store approx 16.00 per 36" T5 as well as the occasional Phillips not exactly sure which one only that is the warm white (more reddish). I thought that a combination of mainly 6700k aquarium bulbs and a few warm white phillips; Would offer the best balance for vegging and cloning. I haven't been disappointed as my veg tent gets too crowded before I am ready for them. I will see if I can track down any of my pics for you. I say go for the aquarium bulbs!!