t3hfr3ak's First Grow... and its stealthy!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by t3hfr3ak, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hello! Firstly, My name is Alex and I haven't been here for too long, just throwing my 0.02 in when i want, lots of lurking, learning and living.

So after much research on this valuable resource and other resources, I have decided to start my own little slice of paradise, right in my own bedroom! (And must thank everyone here for all the advice, may not have been directed at me, but its archived for all to read :p)

So right now I am still just ending the planning phase and beginning on the preparation phase of the op. I have decided to do a Stealth build inside my dresser. Why my dresser? Damned thing has been falling apart since my sisters boyfriend helped me move it up here and he tore the one side clean off. So now after I reinforced everything, I found the drawers don't fit properly now so I could either put the computer inside there, or use it for something productive!

I only plan on growing one baby in here and will be LST'ing her aswell. For now I have 2 100w eq CFL's (23w ea) and if need be I will upgrade 2 another CFL and maybe some LED's to try those out. I am still doing some research in soils available in this area and educating myself on the plant nutrients needed so I am not completely ready to start her up. But here is what I have so far and would love to share with you all.

I will update as new progresses happen

Attached Files:

2. Hi Everyone!

It's been a while! Here are two of my babies, the one with the seed casing on it was placed in the soil two and a half days ago. The other one was placed in the soil 13 hours after that one.

I can't believe how much better it's doing, however I did notice that the set coming in is curved, will this pose an issue or mutated plant?

and also, Thanks for stoppin by!

Attached Files:

3. they're looking good! The fox farm site has a store locate too find places that sell their stuff, that should give you any store in your area with nutes/fox farm/whatever else you need

4. Thanks for the tip, unfortunately (in a sense) I'm Canadian. So no foxfarm here. But the other day I was riding my bike home from the dentist and found a little home garden shop that opened up about 5 months ago. And this shop has everything an indoor garden would need; nutes, soil, pots, mylar, white/black plastic, lights and LED growing lights. So I will be getting some stuff there. Any suggestions for canadian brand nutrients/soil that would be highly recommended?

These first three (third hasn't broken soil yet), are just practice/experiments for me to get a handle on things

5. bump
    Any suggestions for canadian brand nutrients/soil that would be highly recommended?

I get paid next monday and Will be picking something up to repot into, I would like to use better soil for the remainder of thier life (current soil is grocery store brand). So any suggestions would be great. Again, foxfarm is out of the question as It's not available in Canada and I have no way to accept deliveries in my building.

6. #6 t3hfr3ak, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
    Hey just stopping in for a quick update. The seed casing came off #1 and it's lookin pretty good. The leaves that were growing in curved have now straightened, so not worried about it.

The strain for these 3 is called "Double Purple" and picked it up at a 'Hemp Culture' in the falls, if the one you went to looks fancy with bongs and papers but no seeds, go down the street towards clifton hill, you'll see another 'Hemp Culture' that has seeds, this is where I got them. ANYWAYS. They are called 'Double Purple' and I can not find this strain online anywhere. The genetics in thier book said "AK 47 x Government Strain F" or G Strain 6. I don't know, it was like that though. I bring this up though because so far, the Stems are a purple colour, but I don't know if this is because of a definciency or otherwise, they are still young so I am not worried about it at all, and will check the leaves as they grow up.

Anyways, here's some picture. Are the CFL's too close or far? I think they look just about right. Temps are ranging around 85-90 degrees, getting a fan tomorrow to cool it off a little more. My question in the previous post still stands lol How are my babies? At this point, they are 4 days old

Attached Files:

7. Bump no input tonight?

8. hey so im new here too ( this is my first post) ive just been reading around. in 3 weeks ill be starting my own grow in a similar setup, so i figured id follow yours :). anyways all i got to say is from what ive read u should have around 100w cfl actual wattage? not equiv. but yeah ive never actually grown so i dont know shit haha. good luck!!

9. Hi Slowgrow! Welcome to Grasscity (although someone with more tenure should be welcoming lol). And thanks for following!

Yea, right now I am running 46w total, hoping to double it (seeds came earlier than light money lol) I'm going to be heading to the local C-Tire to pick up some socket splitters, I might add 4 more giving me 138w which would have me set. for now though, these babies are seedlings and im interested on what I can do with the little light I currently have.

10. alright yeah i got you lol, lights are ridiculous. something you might wanna look at is im pretty sure spiral cfls emit alot more light from the sides than they do from the tops. also i was wondering if youve been putting plastic bags over the tops of the cups? i guess the humidity helps seedlings? (again all just stuff that ive read)

11. At first I was using plastic bags over the cups for the seedlings but decided not to. They dont have humidity domes in nature :p Plus after additional research I found that only clone clippings really need the humidity.

in regards to the CFL's giving off my light on the side, i wouldn't doubt it, especially the way they look, however its tough finding a cheap reflector for this

12. Anyone have suggestions for a soil mix within Canada?? Right now I'm using outside grocery store soil and I know it's not the best. Any comments regarding anything on this grow would be greatly appreciated!! :D

On a side note, I noticed set of leaves #2 coming on both plants.

13. New update. The next set of leaves coming from #1 has brown/black tips on the end of it. ould this be a normal trait? I have included a picture.

Please help! lol Thanks

Attached Files:

14. So I get paid on monday and at that time I will be heading over to that new garden shop to buy better soil and get a good sized pot for the remainder of thier life. I am also going to get a pH testing kit. I don't know if I will get some nutes or not. I might just stick with plain ol' water for my little experiment.

I purchased a fan for inside the box and temperatures have dropped significantly. I am now averaging 83-85 as opposed to my earlier 87-90. Although I am still unsure what the brown/black burnt looking leaves mean. If it was due to the lights I moved em up to 3" above the plant as opposed to the 1.5-2" gap earlier.

15. #16 t3hfr3ak, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    Ok! Time for a Big Update!

Now given that friday was a payday, it was time to start looking for a new home for my babies. Went on down to my local Dollar Store and found 9"x9" and 10" deep pots. I also picked up so new soil to treat them a bit better.

In my haste, I disregarded a rule, never buy a soil that doesn't say what the NPK Ratio is... but excitement causes carelessness and I ended up with a bag of Premium Nature Mix All Purpose Soil and a bag of Premium Nature Mix Tropical Blend Soil. So I placed #1 in the tropic mix (it seemed lankier and more tropical) and #2 into the all purpose blend. it's short and bushy! lol. So came saturday night, it was time to Repot!

They haven't been watered in about 2 days and were starting to dry. Perfect timing, cleaned out the pots, drilling drainage holes, cleaned again with boiling hot water. Prepared the soil and placed the cup inside the soil for about 30 minutes, then, it was time. Both babies gave way without a struggle, willing to expand. #1 wasn't placed quite deep enough and the white's of the root are about 2mm under the soil (about half a quarter inch) so I don't know if this will pose an issue. Once they were both secured and layered with some more soil, the rain began. Unfortunately, I prepared the water friday afternoon with no knowledge of size pots I would be using, needless to say, didn't have enough water for a thorough watering. I watered them near the plant itself with the water i did have, and prepared a 3 gallon container for tomorrow.

Sunday came and I checked on them, they were a tad greener but nothing extraordinary. I thought about it and remembered that there is a bit of shock when repotting and they could be getting used to it. So I thought nothing of it, watered them and watered them sunday night.

Now before I watered them, I went to C-Tire and picked up some actual hanging light sockets, cords, socket splitter and some more bulbs. No more Power Bar/Plug-Socket Connectors!! Seriously Everyone, DO NOT USE THESE! Even if it is all you have, wait till you can get something else!! They will eventually fall and probably kill/hinder your baby. I am refering to these. And Now I have, adjustable, hanging lights over top of them. So I wired that all in then watered them (same watering refered to earlier) and went to bed. When I awoke the next day... they have nearly doubled in width and the new growth just decided to show itself as fast as possible and come out. I could not believe how amazing it was.

Anyways, here are some pictures for you guys! So pull up a hover chair and have a toke from my bong 'Elixir' and we will all have a great time! Any input is welcome aswell!

Pictures:
    1. Fruit Fly sitting on the side
    2. #1 In all it's glory
    3. #2 Saying Hello
    4. Overview of #2
    5. Overview of #1
    6. Overview of entire box

Attached Files:

16. Anyone have input?

Wish I could update my OP but for some reason I can't lol. Oh well

17. #18 t3hfr3ak, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2011
    Ok. Bit of an issue with #2. I awoke this morning and noticed the center of the first set of true leaves were starting to yellow. I think it looks like a P def but this is my first attempt. And I cant find info on middle of leaves yellowing, just different parts of the tips, any help?
    Picture: here

18. what type of soil are you using, what ph are you feeding with, and what ph are you getting for run off. that will determine if ph is causing a deficiency, and have you fed it nutes? its probably still too early for them so hopefully that isnt nuteburn. yellow growth is N deficient btw.

there are some helpful charts in and around the beginner section with info :D

edit after seeing that linked pic, i think it is probably PH, or the soil (if miracle gro it could have bad time released ferts which are burning it), or its nute burn.
    if its PH you gotta raise it, cause then its being locked out of minerals it needs. same deal with my plant, low ph got locked out of magnesium, now i gotta raise the ph until itll take the magnesium and feel better.

the solution would be to flush with a ph you know then see the run off and see what is happening.

19. #20 t3hfr3ak, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
    For that one I am using Premium Nature Mix All purpose. Doesnt have NPK on package. I thought about N def but read everywhere that it starts from the tips. This one is starting from the shoot out.

As of that picture, no nutes were used. This morning I saw it look worse so I picked up some botanicare veggie nutes (will edit with NPK when I get home) and I fed it this morning (about half a cap for 3 gallon water container). Ill take another picture tonight aswell to show how its looking.

I dont know if you can see it in that pic but the first set of true leaves are twisting sideways, would the nutes help that aswell?

Edit: I got a ph testing kit this morning too, a liquid one for one. Going in the water was between 6-7. Coming out it was 5-6. Isnt that the optimum range?