t0kef33fa presents: Bag seed CFL Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by t0ker33fa, Nov 21, 2011.

1. I heard the yeast method was pretty stinky and a lot of work for not much benefit, but better than nothing. I haven't personally tried it though.

It's all about finding your limiting factor. Light, water, CO2, nutrients, root ball size, temperature, etc. are all limiting factors, or aspects of your grow that could hold back growth. All of them are important, and if just one of them is lagging behind the rest, the plant won't grow as fast as it could.

For me, as a CFL grower, light is my limiting factor. If I could get more light to my buds, I might think about supplementing C02, however, right now it would just be a waste because I have enough CO2 from exchanging the air in my cab that it isn't my limiting factor, and adding more won't help much if the plant doesn't get enough light for APT.

2. Thank akhans! For the info ill take that into consideration

3. Thanks, was wondering about the seltzer water for leaf feeding. Heard stuff about it but no proof til now. I was wondering how often to water or signs you look for to know to water? Do you use nutes every water or every other? granted my plants are are only 4 and 3 days sprouted. Thanks for the help!:wave:

4. As akhans mentioned its almost useless in a small box with CFL's.
    When I sprayed them with seltzer water I noticed no to very slight difference in speed of growth. Saying your plants are only 3-4 days old, you wont need to worry about anything but water for at least 3 weeks.
    To figure out if you need water, you stick your finger in about an inch and half into the soil and if you feel moister you don't need to water, but your plants are still young so you may have to water more frequently.
    Also, your leaves will start to curl when they need water. Just spray the top soil and keep it moist in between waterings.

5. Finally back with some pictures, sorry its been a busy week.
    The leaves are still rather curly now I noticed some brown spots on the leaves.
    You can notice them in the pictures, anyone know what this is?

Attached Files:

6. #66 t0ker33fa, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
    I think the curling was just from underwatering, they also are kinda firm.
    I gave them a good soaking earlier.
    Either that or maybe nitrogen deficiency.. I'm not to sure.
    Hopefully they'll perk up soon, anyone know how long it takes to recover?

7. Water should be absorbed and the plant perky within half an hour to an hour.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the little brown spots that look like burns. It's probably isolated. The yellow leaf might be showing N deficiency, but the rest of the plant looks fine. If you can't test your pH, just wait and see if the yellowing spreads.

8. Yeah the spotting got a little worse overnight.
    The lower leaves are a bit shiny.. Almost like poison ivy.
    If my local hydro shop is open tomorrow I'll buy nutrients for my next watering.

9. Well, the only thing I've seen that look like your burns are the ones my plant got from growing into and touching the CFL's. Due to the placement of your burns though, I doubt that's it. I'm stumped :(

10. Well as far to my knowledge 1 plant got burned from my cfls..
    I only seen one plant burnt anyway..
    The wire holding the powerstrip gave out, so I check on my plant and there was a cfl laying on my plant, This was probably around 2 weeks ago.
    I think it was just from being underwatered, minor nute def, and possibly messed up ph levels.
    I make sure they're watered on time now, and I need to buy a ph tester and nutrients next time I go to my hydro store.
    Oh and, happy new year my friend.

11. Looking good so far
    Do you have a cloning machine?
    They have a great link on GC to a DIY
    Explained so well with pics and all that it makes anyone feel like they can build it :p

Happy New Year :smoke:

12. No I don't yet, ill have to make one soon.
    I was planning on just sticking the clones in soil and just keeping the soil moist.
    Do you think I could get away with doing so?
    I have maybe another week or two until I snip clones,
    just waiting for the side growth to get bigger.

13. If you wanted to check it out its a sticky in the DIY forum
    I seen this ok looking cloning machine for about 75$
    Not sure how much it is to DIY but 75$ isn't too bad for a 4 clone 3 gallon Aeroponic sprayer system

14. Just keep as much humidity as possible. I used a 2 liter bottle as a humidity dome, and dipped the stem in some rootone I got from walmart for less than 5 bucks. I haven't made too many clones, but I haven't lost one yet.

15. Ok toker you seem to be starting pretty well so far. I have used fox farm in the past and had to change it up from soil to a hydro set up. the reaso was because every plant in soil had nute burn. It was because the fox farm soil contained hi levels of plant food. That may be an issue you are having. I have grown many grows over the past years. you are doing fine. Just keep up with your daily check list and work it like clock work. If you dont have a daily check list the write one down, turst me it helps. Keep a log on your progress as well. you can use old grow logs to stop any mistakes on future grow opps. Plus you will have a visual time line if you take pisc weekly also. this will help when you want to referance you progress. I'll keep watching. if you have any questions just ask. im alway happy to share my experiance.

16. Alot of new top growth..
    but on the other hand still alot of droopage..
    Watered again today, perked up very slightly.
    Sorry about the last pic, pretty dark.

Attached Files:

17. Did you get that ph tester yet?

18. No not yet, my hydro shop is very unreliable on being open..
    Even when I check their schedule online before I go.
    If I get home from work before its closed ill stop in.
    All I know the faster I get there the better.

19. They have some at home depot for 10$

20. Oh sweet, thanks man. I'll have to check it out, they will def be open.
    They also should carry nutrients right?