Syrian Uprising, Civil War, Intervention, Etc.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by xmaspoo, Nov 19, 2011.

1. I want him out of there too. I just want NATO to do it.

2. #82 NasaJoe, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
    That's a cop out answer.. NATO is funded 1/4 by the US, and troop wise we have 90,000 troops, I dont even know who the next closest is.. The UK only gives 9,500 troops..

ISAF Contributing Nations

NATO is a big joke as far as I'm concerned when you look at how much the US contributes compared to other countries..

We're in constant crisis mode because we have had our hand in the cookie jar for far too long.. Look at Egypt now, they have ousted the official we have propped up for over two decades and now their people are resorting to primitive logic (religious based government) because their government has failed them so many times.. they have now become a threat for its neighbor Israel.. Mishap after mishap.

3. I meant to say I just don't want NATO to do it, lol. :D

4. No intervention

5. I personally prefer the old system of assassinating foreign leaders and power holders.

whats all this bullshit with rockets and drones on cities?

a marine corps sniper could do the trick just as well.

6. The Associated Press: Syrian army general assassinated in Damascus

APNewsBreak: Satellite spots tanks in Syrian city

7. US, Iraqi Officials: Al-Qaeda Behind Syria Bombing, Arming Opposition -- News from Antiwar.com

8. More like the Al Qaeda in Syria is a consequence of our meddling the last 50 plus years. Our actions overseas have inspired a network of terrorists to not only fight against our military, but also prey on seemingly weak regimes to consolidate more power, leaving us not knowing who is worse, the dictator or the Al Qaeda based resistance.

9. Well yea it was ultimately our fault but it's not us that doesn't want to help, it's china and Russia. Either way, they don't produce enough oil for anyone to give a fuck. That part is sad.

There is a growing network of terrorists, but then the question is who is the real terrorists. US or them. There is two simple ways to solve the problem. Don't buy oil from the middle east and work on green tech. That will allow us to be energy independent and they would have no money. The other is give them back Israel and let them fight amongst themselves for the holy land, but if we stop the cash flow they would be too weak to hurt us.

10. We could just stop giving foreign aid to middle eastern countries and stop trying to impose our version of acceptable governments on the various nations.

Let the people involved sort it all out, and open trade with them afterwards.

"Radical Islam" is a direct response to the US backing Saudi Arabia, Israel, and occupation of middle eastern lands.

It's hard to make people join your cause if the domestic economy is doing better and there are no foreign occupiers (or financiers of dictatorial governments) to rally against. ;)

11. I don't agree with foreign aid for anyone, because it tends to get in the hands of radicals or dictators- many of which we set up.

The "radical Islamists" also target the zionists- Jewish and Christian. Both sides have radicals. Not to say I approve of Islam radicals but some of there action can be justified.

They can't US in open conflict and I don't want US there either. They are using the best strategy which has kicked the US' ass around the globe- guerilla warfare.

And yes, if anything we are rallying the Iranians, Saudis, and Islamists against us and the west.

12. where are the many Gandhi's that I know exist? why are there not serious peaceful revolutions working now all over the world?

Where are MLK jr's, marching for civil liberties without hurting others?

it seems like its a lot of guns no love

13. I liken it to growing pains, no Muslim country is going to become a beacon for secular democracy (relatively soon).

The culture difference between the secular western nations and muslim nations is so great that we fail to understand why they are not more like us in values of faith, governance, etc.

It's not a negative, just a failure to have perspective on our part. Also, civil disobedience doesn't stand much of a chance when outsider nations are actively poking the hornets nest by financing the armament of one side versus the other for larger geopolitical goals.

Proxy wars suck.

14. Agreed. I don't get why we are spreading democracy in the same countries were we once funded the dictator.
    Oh yea, we aren't spreading democracy. We are taking their oil.
    We oppress them, take their oil, and wonder why the hell they hate us.

15. There is no way we are going to have intervention in Syria, they have no oil. What would the point be?

16. Stopping the al-Qaeda members that are helping support the rebels?
    At least one group had the balls to help the rebels. At least one group was helping the people there.

17. [quote name='"LSYouTiger"']

Stopping the al-Qaeda members that are helping support the rebels?
    At least one group had the balls to help the rebels. At least one group was helping the people there.[/quote]

Why do we have to be the ones to help? Our economy and our govt are looking like the are swirling down the toilet.

If we do end up intervening, (i mean why not we are in the neighborhood) I would like to see it go down like Lybia. A NATO coalitiontoin using our air power to help the rebels level the playing field against the Syrian army.

18. You are advocating US intervention in syria?

19. I think something should be done about the regime that is killing the people. I don't think our excuse should be Al Qaeda.

Because people are getting slaughtered, I thought we were the world police?

If weren't fighting for oil, we would have the money to use our forces for good.

NATO intervention will raise tensions between OPEC and NATO. Both sides need to agree and use the UN. China and Russia didn't allow the kill order, they didn't like some of the conditions in the proposal to help the rebels. That doesn't mean we can ignore them, we must agree on something.