Synesthesia

Discussion in 'General' started by Revolution, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Does anyone here have synesthesia? It's a condition where you associate a color with numbers, or letters, or music, or something. Here's a wikipedia article on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I noticed I have it when it comes to music. Every song has a distinct range of colors and a movement. And they stay consistent too. For example, "Danni California" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is red and white with a forward movement. "Geek Stink Breath" by Green Day is black, green, and purple and it moves quickly to the right. Every note on my bass guitar has a color. E is brown, A is a blue purple, D is orange, and G is a silver mixed with green.

I noticed I associate a color to when I smoke. When I'm high, I associate it with purple and orange. When I'm coming down and just relaxing, it's a deep red.

It's kind of interesting. Does anyone else have it or experience stuff like this?

2. theres been a couple threads on this topic if you search (although not as many show up as have been discussed. GC search sucks)

3. You should try listening to non-pop songs if you have synesthesia. Try listening to ambient and electroacoustic music. It'll blow your mind.

4. My girlfriend has Synesthesia cause she takes E more than any person I have ever seen. She can take two double stacks and she wont even be effected by it. She says certain words have a color assigned to them. Its something I wish I had.

5. it sounds beautiful. but i could be naive.

6. Too bad all this "quadruple stacks" is bullshit.

7. My girlfriend went to an AIR concert once and got very high when she had a pretty low tolerance.
    She was with her mum and said "Wow, the light show is amazing!", turns our there was no light show, she was seeing the music.
    I think she must have a form of synesthesia.

8. damn whaaaat? this sounds like it'd be amazing

9. I think one of the old school bladies once posted about having this. I'm thinking JD or Hempress... don't quite remember, but the story and explaination was quite an interesting read.

10. Thats really cool, i wish i had that, would prolly make playing piano alot easier haha

11. I have synesthesia. Several different forms. Just about everything I do has it's own color, shape, smell, texture. etc.

It is very helpful in music, math, word puzzles, etc.

It actually runs in my family, my mother and grandmother are synesthes as well.