Symphytum: The Comfrey Thread

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by donothinggardening, Oct 21, 2014.

1. #1081 missinglighter, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
    I gave some away to get feed back to my aunts, mom and a friend, as I don't consider myself as in much pain as most here. i also talked about this in my thread and shared in more detail the recipes and how to do it yourself.

Arthritis, fibromyalgia, back nerve pain and connective tissue joint pain all came back with very positive feedback except the consistency of the Simple Balm recipe uses a 3:1 oil:beeswax ratio so it was hard and what I consider old fashioned. Like you would have to rub your finger around and around in a little metal tin. Lol it was great to massage though because I added clove oil and the motion warms it and I made a cool one with peppermint.

There's two tiger balm recipes, spray on or roll on recipes that instantly absorb into the skin, recipe for Bandit Oil which is a DIY for Badger Balms.

But emu oil and aridoba oil have something about them, I forget, that is really known to help with arthritis and inflammation.

I will make my balm in the next few days with coconut oil and beeswax. Hope it works. Lol got a big jar of Oops Balm mush.

• Like Like x 2
  2. #1082 cabinetman, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    I can second in her balm you guys!!! That recipe is a life saver, many many blessings again for pointing me in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 5
  3. double post

4. trle post :/

• Like Like x 1
  5. The stuff works great on my tired worn out arms and hands. Thank you ML.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I'll make a thread with the recipe so everyone can make it. Super simple. You can heat it like canna coconut oil so it can be made in a day or cold soak for 4-6 weeks in a liquid oil like olive.

I've been using it in my dogs neck which just started to grow this pink wart like tumor and it's almost shrunk away. Taken a couple weeks but I'm really happy.

• Like Like x 6
  7. I used 8oz. of liquid coconut oil and 1oz dry weight of beeswax granules, about 10 drops of peppermint oil, 10 drops of rosemary and a few drops of tea tree.
    Must say I'm blown away by how excellent this stuff eliminates pain. Having a long history of back pain and other injuries related to my job, this is a damn miracle for me, after over 40 years in the construction trade. I mean, I almost cry knowing there's something, when I put on, will actually take the pain away within 15 minutes, sometimes faster. Wish I found this when I was a youngster!

Comfrey & Cannabis=NO OPIATES!!!!!

• Like Like x 7
  8. Is the coconut oil what contains the cannabis? If so how much herb did you use to infuse it

• Like Like x 3
  9. I didn't use cannabis in it. If I were to use it, I would probably try to do 3/4 comfrey to 1/4 cannabis to start as an experiment. It's almost impossible to mess up unless you burn it.

Made it with comfrey root powder I got from Mountain Rose Herb and some youtube recipe I found.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  10. I fill a jar halfway with loose trim and larf and then fill it with olive oil to soak. I lose a lot of oil this way. So I wanted to use coconut oil and hash. Then you would only have to soak it with comfrey. You can heat process the comfrey for a long time in the oven or put in a sunny spot. Then I would take that oil to use for the hash oil. Then a 1:5 ratio beeswax to oil by weight. Ready in an hour. The only problem I'm having is figuring out how much essential oils to add so it doesn't mess up the ratio.

Today I was searching her website and there's an article talking about solubility in water using this "solubizer" which seems like it's just glycerine. pretty pumped to go home and read more. I think she uses it for lotions but it's all the same theory. Another thing I was reading was that you can use alcohol like a tincture then you add it to glycerine then let it evaporate leaving all the active compounds in the glycerine and works better for extracting but leaves an alcohol-less product. It says you can store it and add it to any amount of water for different concentrations. So I just need some neem materials, booze and some glycerine. Or comfrey. Or whatever. Cannabis?

• Like Like x 4
  11. 1471123176329.jpg 1471123183829.jpg 1471123189651.jpg

I transplanted my comfrey yesterday (8/12/16) from a half gallon pot, it had a great root system covering the entire pot. I dug a 2x2x2 hole about a Month ago and amended it with alfalfa pellets, kelp meal, MBP, neem meal, tomato tone, and some other stuff I'm forgetting, so it's had time to cook. I decided to make it look nice and put some sticks around it as a border, then added about 6 inches of straw mulch because, well, jerry said so lol. Mulch mulch mulch. The picture with wet leaf was taken today, it's almost doubled in size since yesterday. We also have a weeks worth of tropical storm rain coming, I'll post pics as she bushes out :)

• Like Like x 5
  12. #1092 missinglighter, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
    With the warming salve I'm sharing, you can adjust the essential oils as you want for more warmth. The cooling salve needs to have more peppermint so I'll get back to you on that but can be adjusted too. if you have sensitive skin, i would skip the cinnamon and go with the lower dose of clove oil. if it is not warm enough, add more a little at a time. to test it out, make a sample size on a plate or in a bowl. stick it in the fridge to set fast. test it out and see if it is too hot or not hot enough. then adjust the main mix as desired. if you let this set and later on desire more warmth, then heat it up and add more essential oil and then let it cool all over again.
    image.jpg
    This will make a pint jar.
    173 grams of coconut oil the solidified kind.
    3 mL peppermint
    3 mL cinnamon
    25-40mL of clove bud
    43 grams beeswax

This is using a base of 4:1 oil:beeswax and as long as you don't go over a 5:1 ratio, it should have a similar consistency. I like the 4:1 as its solid still but soft enough to get a little scoop. You don't need very much. The olive oil is easier to handle but the coconut oil is faster absorbing. Olive oil will also stay a solid whereas you need to refrigerate coconut oil because it will be liquid when this is mixed up even if it was solid at the same room temp. So there are some good benefits to using olive oil as the base. you can adjust the oil:beeswax ratio to help it stay hard so on hot months you can use less oil and more beeswax or cold months use more oil and less beeswax. if storing in your home at room temp, olive oil stays solid unless it's sitting in the sun. very easy to handle. be sure to keep in a well sealed container if keeping in a car or pocket as it will leak when it melts.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

So I use a pan of water as a double boiler and fill the water almost up to the same level as the salve. I add the beeswax and oil then heat on medium high till melted. Stirring helps but this does take a bit.

The faster it cools the less lumpy it gets and the mixture stays uniform so I give it a lukewarm water bath. I have a room temp jar ready to go and dump my mixture in it. The jar can also be used that you plan on using but be sure to be careful doesn't doesn't crack.

If you don't have access to fresh comfrey, you can purchase dried comfrey flakes (large pieces of leaves) but not ground powder as I imagine it would be hard to strain from the oil and you'd get plant material in your oil. I have bought it before in winter time for $1.75 an ounce. I used plant material for this but if I had to do it over again, I would heat the comfrey alone in the oil for as long as you can on 170-200F. You can also sit it in a warm spot or sun. When it's ready, then I would strain the comfrey, and then add hash then proceed to do BadKittySmiles way of making canna caps but skip the lecithin as it doesn't allow the beeswax to set and it stays goopy. The way I made it works just fine though. You can also substitute olive oil. It doesn't absorb into the skin as fast as coconut. It is more like a massage oil feeling. You can rub your sore spots for a long time. Motion heats it up so the feedback I got is that is a nice benefit to be able to massage it longer. The coconut oil is absorbed in ten minutes or less while the olive oil leaves your skin shiny and oily for around a half hour while it absorbs.

I bought an air compressed hand pump mister in the kitchen section used for making your own spray oil for skillets like the spray aerosol non stick sprays but you can fill it with any oil. I haven't tried it yet with the olive oil canna oil but I use it for regular olive oil and it really is a nice misting spray. So if you want a vegan option the oil straight up is just as good. Hope this helps. :) It's really helped me and others so I thought I'd share.

Also, this is not edible. Comfrey has alkaloids that might harm you but I know people have ingested it in tea form. My concern is this is a concentrate. Plus it would taste very green from the comfrey.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  13. Incredible tutorial ML :) I can wait to give it a shot. I purchased some beezwax from a health store not long ago and have been pondering what I'm going to do with it. Whenever my comfrey gets big enough I'll be making some of this to give away during holidays :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. I wanted to get some other EO so it doesn't smell so medicinal like bengay. The clove is intense. I thought that adding some nutmeg so it smells like a cookie with the cinnamon and clove. If you use refined you won't have a coconut smell. That's what I use because I can get it in a giant bucket for cheap at Costco. I made a half gallon of oil. Next I'm going to buy grape seed or almond oil because it's a very fast absorbing. There's a recipe on that blog I shared. I'm just gonna take hash and use that for the oil. Heat it up and strain out the particulate with a paint strainer so it doesn't clog the Mistor or maybe just let it sit for a long time before separating.

15. i updated the recipe and instructions. after the salve set last night and was cool it was good but since storing in the fridge it is hard as a rock so you have to let it set out if using coconut oil. i also left a jar out on the counter last night and it is liquid whereas the coconut oil in my bucket is still solid. so, if you are all about coconut oil go ahead and put it in the fridge and use a spoon to scoop some out and once it is in your hand it will melt right away. if you want something you can leav out on the counter at room temp, use olive oil. in fact i prefer the olive oil.

A Quick Guide to Coconut Oil & Beeswax Ratios - Humblebee & Me

A Quick Guide to Beeswax & Liquid Oil Ratios - Humblebee & Me

A Guide to Making Substitutions in DIY Recipes - Humblebee & Me

salves, body butter bars, whipped butters, roll-on stick applied balms, spray oils and just a lot of cool stuff.
    How to Make Salves & Naturally Healing Recipes - Humblebee & Me

i saved some of the oil to take a bath soon. not like i'm a dirty birdy but when you add oil to a hot bath, it helps open up the pores of your skin and the oil covers your whole body and you only need a tablespoon worth so if you are having full body pain, i think this would really work well. after your bath, you have to rub it in. you can towel dry to without having any issue ruining towels and enjoy some seriously smooth baby skin.

if you choose to use raw beeswax, you must clean it before using. don't ask me how so i just buy the pellets of beeswax. there are other waxes you can use that are vegan and those are in the recipes and articles section of the website.

in case you forgot lol or if someone doesn't know yet,
    Use Comfrey Root as a Natural Remedy
    "The genus name for comfrey is Symphytum, which means to "unite or knit together." The name com-firma means simply, "knitting of bones." You can use the leaf and the root, fresh or dried."

"Comfrey contains a special substance called allantoin, which is a cell proliferative. In other words, it makes cells grow faster. This is one of the reasons why comfrey-treated bones knit so fast, wounds mend so quickly and burns heal with such little scarring. Comfrey is often called knitbone or healing herb.

This same substance, allantoin, is found in the placenta of a pregnant mother which helps the baby grow rapidly. After the baby is born, allantoin is also found in the mother's milk — abundantly at first and less so as the child grows."

"Comfrey is very rich in chlorophyll ("green magic"), which is one reason why Dr. Kirschner used it in his green drink. After all, the only difference between chlorophyll and our blood is that our blood molecule is built around an iron atom and the chlorophyll molecule is built around a magnesium atom."

I feel like adding comfrey to the great healing properties of cannabis salve is a great way to harness both wonderful plants healing qualities.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Comfrey tea from freshly picked leaves? Does anyone make a non-heated tea from fresh comfrey leaves. I saw jerry111165 sporting a pic of a blender full of fresh leaves (no text) on another thread a while back. Id love a recipe and application info from anyone who uses something like this.
    I got fresh comfrey!!!!
    os

17. Why bother with a really stinky tea? Take fresh leaves, freeze for a bit, and then chunk them in the worm bin. My main feed is coffee grounds and comfrey leaves. Rice hulls and comfrey should work just as well. Then, it's just a top dress with the VC.

Wet

• Like Like x 2
  18. wet, ive been feeding my worms comfrey like crazy. I have never seen them show so much vigor! I been top dressing with it too. I guess I was hoping there was a fast not stinky tea. I just got the craze, to use it. 13 new plants this year.
    os

• Like Like x 3
  19. We used stinging nettle leaves for teas and put the comfrey leaves in the worm bin.

Teas with nettles and/or comfrey will get hot fairly quickly is my experience. They are basically a green compost which is why they smell like manure shortly after adding them to water.

What I do is add the leaves to a quart mason jar fill with RO water and set the jars out on a window sill. Let them steep for say 3-6 MONTHS ... the stink goes away after 3 months or so and then the tea is ready. I don't water in full strength but add say 1/4 cup to a gallon of water and water in or mix in with IPM routine and spray on.

This mix is HOT for a month or so... smells for another few months ...

Add to worm bin the worms make short work of the Comfrey. So much so that it's actually a little scary how quickly the worms eat that up. The leaves actually decompose pretty fast in the worm bin and all the critters take care of the rest. I can fill up a 165gal worm bin with Comfrey leaves and stalks and it will be completely gone in less than a month. I sprinkle some granite dust on top and let the worms do their thing.

• Like Like x 5
  20. My comfrey plants are doing well despite getting damaged by some hail. Should probably chop them down again!

20160826_192941.jpg 20160826_192958.jpg 20160826_192914.jpg

• Like Like x 5