Symphytum: The Comfrey Thread

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by donothinggardening, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Hey guys prepped an area with the shovel and crow bar between my raised beds. Filled with some local aged horse manure LOADED with worms(woohoo). I lightly amended and planted what a friend had given me. I was told these plants were comfrey #2. Never heard of it. Does anyone know what I got here? TIA

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I dug another hole because it was so much fun!!! Planted what I purchased as true comfrey. They look completely different!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hard to say. The Bocking cultivars run from Bocking #1 through #21 but most of these cultivars are obscure and mostly not even available. The two sterile varieties that are most common are #4 & #14.

J

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hopefully that's an area of land you don't care to keep up with. Otherwise you'll have some fun when those set seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  5. They came from abandon farm. Do we think that it's a type of comfrey? Should I let them flower to have a better read on what it could be? Took one down before flower. The worms seemed to have loved it! Bryansk for the response.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Let it take its course!!!!!! Hope it spreads everywhere ! Less holes I have to dig.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You will be sorry if you have the seeded variety. You have just planted an enviornmental disaster in your neighborhood and it can't be controlled without herbicides. The seeded flowers have a pink throat, the sterile cultivars are bluish.

PW

• Like Like x 2
  8. If you plant it into well prepared holes, ie: dug holes loaded up with compost and a few soil amendments you will need very big cages.

J

9. I don't know if I could even tell the difference. Just hopefully it IS a sterile variety.

J

10. Thanks, will keep an eye out for the color!! Fortunately the land that it planted on, is the only non paved yard for 1/4 square block. Thanks again guys!!

11. I posted this pic in Veggie Garden thread but wanted to post it here. 2 Sunday's ago, so 11 days ago I chopped all of my comfrey down to ground level to build a compost heap.

This is what it's done in the last 11 days. This plants growth constantly amazes me. I do nothing besides layering thick assorted mulch around them.

image.jpg

J

It would be fun to do a time lapse photography on these plants.

• Like Like x 6
  12. you're such a show off jerry :p
    j/k, im so jelly!

quick question: if i was to plant some guerilla comfrey in the city, id probably wont be able to water it often, if at all. what would be a good time to plant and wouild you go with root cuttings or whole plant with leaves and all?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wow!! 11 days? Where does the comfrey come from ?
    Could u lead in the direction on where I could purchase?

14. I found the original couple plants I had bought years back on Craigslist and then simply cloned them to make more plants. I hear folks talk about Coes Comfrey but have never used them myself. Check Craigslist first at least...

J

• Like Like x 2
  15. Like I tell most, a dug hole loaded up with compost and a few basic amendments make all the difference. Of course lots of mulch will help with your waterings. I don't ever water mine.

I've tried both ways a couple times and the prepared planting holes always always win hands down. I do think I'd get the comfrey established in little pots before moving them to their final home in your situation.

GL

J

• Like Like x 6
  16. This is a little off the subject, but I ended up reading everything I could find about comfrey and then made a comfrey salve for my sore neck and what do you know. It worked at getting rid of a 3 weeks long, very painful spine/neck episode. I'm sold on comfrey for body pain issues. Another weapon in my pain arsenal.

• Like Like x 4
  17. I've added cannabis to the salve along with the comfrey plus essential oils. Everyone that's tried it has liked it. I have some that's been sitting almost two months. I was going to use beeswax but I haven't used coconut oil yet; just olive for the salves. What type of oil are you using and what ratio to beeswax or whatever are you using? Or are you just making a simple poultice? Thanks!

18. I'm looking for recipes to make different salves, medicines, etc with comfrey, anyone have any good links to make stuff like this?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Humblebee & Me - Humblebee & Me
    Start with the articles and use the recipe to the letter to get the best results. I soak the comfrey in oil with the canna but wanted to use hash oil instead so I could use oils that aren't liquid or expensive so I don't lose oil with the material. Aridoba oil is very expensive but an equal vegan alternative to emu oil which is great for arthritis. I would like to use it with hash and camphor oil but I'm still reading.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Thank you for the great link :) I'm still in my early/mid 20s so it's not really for my use (yet) but I would love to make these salves and medicines for gifts to family and maybe make some lotions and things for my gf. Thank you again ML :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3