Sword of truth series

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by bogart20, May 15, 2012.

1. I just got done reading all of these and overall amazing. After confessor, there is a new series starting with the same characters called omen machine. Not sure how to feel about it, I felt it was just a builder like blood of the fold ( book 3) and was kinda slow but then again it's settin up a new plot. Hope it gets back to its usual epic storyness because damn that is EPIC!

2. Also the philosophy's behind it are quite deep and profound. Mainly that nobody has the right to your life. your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.
    Just little jewels of things of life. Terry goodkind put alot of thought into this :cool:

3. Fuck yeah, I've read the entire series 5 times, and with them on my kindle now they'll never wear out.
    I had a hard time getting into Omen Machine, kinda started to pick up at the end, but almost no action. At least with Blood of the Fold there were the occasional battle. Goodkind really needs to pick up the pace with his next one if he wants to keep me in the rest of the series.

On a side note, if you liked the sword of truth series, check out the sword of shannara books and Joe Abercrombie's series, it starts out with The Sword Itself. Logan Ninefingers is trying to better himself after a long bloody life, but when things get intense The Bloody Nine surfaces and he goes nuts, destroying everything in his path.

4. Agreed, there needs to b a whole lotta action n the next one to get interesting.
    That book your talkin bout sounds cool, what's the starting book? And what do you mean it starts with the sword?

5. The title of the book is "The Sword Itself"

6. Also a great set of books is the night angels trilogy. The first book is the way of shadows. It's pretty gritty and dark. Quite epic if I might say so

7. I kinda fell off after Temple of the Winds, but Ive been thinking about picking it back up.

8. Well if you do pick it back up, the next two are great, the 6th book is by far better then the fifth

9. Is it anything like The wheel of time series?

10. Yea they say terry goodkind is that kinda author, Is wheel of time good? I was lookin for some new books to get into

11. Oh ya the wheel of time is good. The sword of truth and wheel of truth are some of my favorite series.

12. Wheel of time is awesome if you like lord of the rings stuff like that.. this is way better in my mind... its a whole new world even more fleshed out then tolkiens in my opinion ... and more badass characters .. its different in a better way.. lots if magic and bloody battles ... and the main bad guy is pretty much satan sealed inside a mountain of doom... who's slowly breaking free from his prison with each book... he twists the world and has his forsaken(basically really evil magicians) follows rand(the dragon" reborn) a young man one of the main characters who's thrown into all this crazyness to find out he's the one that is going to face off with the dark one at the end of time... idk sorry for the rant but it really draws you in... its epic! And each book is huge and I think there's about 11 one more to come ... to bad the author died before he finished his masterpiece.. his son has all his notes and wrote the last couple books.. kind of sucks was lookin forward to the final book final battle! Hope his son can do him justice.. ive heard good things but am only on book six "lord of choas"... hope the series keeps up the pace cause this shit is sick so far...

13. That sounds epic, thanks I'll have to check it out :cool:

14. The first few Sword of Truth books read like straight rip offs of WOT to me. I enjoyed them, although I could have done without the bestiality in the Sword of Truth.

Also, his attempts at promoting libertarianism were very heavy handed IMO, even though his stance is the same as mine. I get annoyed when writers try to preach to me, even when I agree with them. That's part of the reason I've never read Rand.

15. [quote name='"chrifive916"']

The first few Sword of Truth books read like straight rip offs of WOT to me. I enjoyed them, although I could have done without the bestiality in the Sword of Truth.

Also, his attempts at promoting libertarianism were very heavy handed IMO, even though his stance is the same as mine. I get annoyed when writers try to preach to me, even when I agree with them. That's part of the reason I've never read Rand.[/quote]

Umm beastiality? I've read every sword of truth book several times and there is none in there. Sex; yes rape; yes; friendship between man and monster; yes, but no beastiality.

16. I think he's refering to the sisters of the dark and that was a demon not an animal so I take back my previous statement

17. I enjoyed this series to a degree but I find Terry Goodkind to be pretentious and arrogant which reflects in his writing. The fact that he consistently says that he is not a fantasy writer is laughable considering the points he attempts to make which should separate him from the genre are the exact components which define it. I suppose attempting to learn more about him and his philosophy ruined his works for me. You can't write about dragons, magic and wizards while declaring that it is not fantasy. :eek:

18. I like everything I've read of his, except the omen machine. That book just drags on til the last 5 or so chapters then rushes through and feels unfinished.