Swollen Calyx?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Newbe38, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Hi all. My plants are at day 30 into flower and i have noticed these in 2 of my taller plants. They have a couple little hairs coming out that have turned brown. Figured they are swollen calyxes but this is my first grow so i thought i would get your opinions. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Attached Files:

2. I think those are seed pods, but can't zoom in close enough

• Like Like x 1
  3. Was hoping not. Dont know if i can get a closer picture without it being out of focus

4. you can wait for a second opinion but I'd guess your growing unknown genetics, which means you have zero clue of the hermie trait being passed down, 4th week seems average to herm, did you have any males in your tent?

5. How about this one?

Attached Files:

6. Yes. All bag seed. Different strains but the 2 mentioned are the same. I had 3 males but pulled them early before they developed. My other 4 plants dont have these.

7. Let em grow or whack a mole? Lol

8. 100% looks like seed pod to me, sorry mate, did you have males? if it's bagseed I wouldn't continue to grow it out anymore seeing as it may tend to hermie, I guess you could pluck em.

edit: how long did the males develop? they are capable of chucking pollen at pretty early ages

9. Could i seperate them and still have some decent smoke from them?

10. I wouldn't chance anymore pollen, just me..I'd bring them to the backyard burn pile lol

11. Sorry just weighing my options. What if in a seperate room from the rest of the plants. Will it still give me smokeable bud?

12. I am definitely not knowledgeable on this, as I am still in my first grow as well. However, one thing you could do is to snip one out and open it to see if a seed is forming. At least, that is what I read on a quick google search. It is really difficult to tell the difference until it gets further along.

Of course, it only really matters if this is for something other than just your personal use. If you are growing for yourself, a few seeds aren't that big of a deal. Or at least, they wouldn't be to me. But then, I am pretty laid back about things like that. Most of my product gets turned into tincture and topicals, so a few seeds are not a game changer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. if more calyxs turn more energy will be devoted to seed devlopement, as the plants only mission in life is to create another generation for future crop (this is why they herm) you may now get quality smoke maybe along the lines of the bag it came from, if you were dead set on keeping them do your best to separate air flow, cannabis breeds in the air, as long as you don't mix air flow you would be alright, a plant gone to seed is like a pregnant women, all energy goes into devotion to the fetus, same thing with seeds , it will abandon the thc production in favor of seed production

14. Total seperate room so it wouldnt share any airflow. Just dont want to waste if possible. Dont care if i have to pick out seeds before smoking as long as there is still something to smoke.

15. then by all means good luck sir, I don't have the space so I kill on site, but don't have this issue since I order through banks now,had 1 hermie in a patch outdoors from bagseed sucks but it's nature lol it follows it's own rules

16. I have a whole basement at my disposal. 3 different rooms. I just ordered seeds for my next grow. Purple kush

• Like Like x 1
  17. nice good genes are the way to go

18. Man sorry to hear that ... yeah reminds me of my outdoor college days . We'd spend all this time weeding out the males and inevitably smear some pollen somehow and quite a few turned hermie one year . As difficult as it is , I'd get rid of them and really really clean everything super well before you start again with seeds from a bank . Like everythingisvibration said, good genetics are key !

Cheers
    Sup

It makes me feel the way I need to feel

19. I have them isolated in a seperate room now. Im going to grow them out and see what i get out of them. This is why i used bagseed for my first grow. Didnt know what to expect. Working through all the kinks. Definitely a learning experience. Very fun and more knowledgeable now. Will have good genetics for my second grow and will definitely set up a scrog

20. That looks like a seed pod to me for sure. Unless you're seeing ball sacks or nanners this plant doesn't need moved but you need to really check the others close for both balls and nanners. It looks like it's getting sticky, how many seeds in each plant? I had a bad finish because of fighting off boys and herms, had a herm early on from a plant I rescued, one male and one threw nanners late in flower. Out of 9 plants, 3 got chopped (male/herm), 4 ended up getting seeds and of those only 1 was truly smokeable. My best plant had one seed and smoked like a freight train. One seed isn't gonna kill ya, but at this early stage I'm betting THC, trichome, and bud production is turning into seed production so in another month or so when it's done you'll likely have very little if any more bud than you have now but what's there will mature. Let it keep going, if you see more seeds popping up you know she's getting into baby making....

• Like Like x 1