Swollen calyx on many plants...good or bad?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by azfox, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Okay, I posted one pic of swollen calyx on one of my plants. Many said no problems, she's a girl and so on. Here's my problem. I don't know if it's a good thing they are doing this or if it's a problem. Many of you said it was your fave way to smoke it. But I don't understand what's going on. I know what a calyx is, that it's supposed to be there and will be there, but don't understand the importance of them or why swollen ones are 'good' or 'bad'. Could someone with experience get me pointed in the right direction? I've read Jorge's book and others but can't seem to find anything that discusses it at length. Anyone have any input they would like to share? Dunno if everything is getting twisted in my flowering room or if it's something I 'want' to happen! Thanks all! Looking forward to a little education at the moment! I'm sure someone out there has a nice explanation as to what's going on and whether its a good thing or not. :gc_rocks:

2. #2 Dr. Errl Hammond- B.H.O., Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
    swollen calyx's mean that the plant has filled out to maturity with at least decent conditions.....if your nugs were full of oddly formed and mutated looking calyx's you would have a problem.

you want them to swell for a couple of reasons:

1) buds will be denser and therefore weigh more-more yield for you
    2) part same as 1 but bag appeal to show off will be better if interested in that
    3) again, sign of matureity in plant and approx. ready to harvest  :)

google a diagram of cannabis flowers / calyx to see pics with cut-away views and furthur details

hopes this helped. peace

p.s. also since the pistils are growing out of them they will become bulbous towards the bottom (think rain drop shape) simply because there is something growing out of there. 

for your own education........carefully get small scissors and try to remove a single calyx, then under a light try disecting it and see whats there...,just  part of learning

3. That was very helpful! Now I know why it started....I started using G-10 from Humbolt Farms and it is supposed to add density to your buds....apparently it's working! I'm not sure what a 'mutated' calyx looks like, so will Google that as well. Thanks for your helpful info! All of the calyxes on the plants appear to be rain drop shaped. Feel a bit more secure now! Thanks again! And as always, :gc_rocks:  

4. #4 KouchLoch, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    Make sure there are pistils. Some calyxs swell when there's a seed in them, but those are yellow, unpollinated calyxs have pistils and are green.

Like these: http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/index.php?/topic/176674-seed-formation/

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. They naturally do this anyways, the G10 might make some difference but if you have a good handle on your nutes you won't need it.

6. The calyxes are the bits that you smoke. Clusters of calyxes are what bud is. The bigger the better as it means more bud, more smoke