Switching lights for my indoor, need input

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Kraftsingles00, Oct 21, 2018.

1. hi all

I’m starting round #3 of my indoor grow. Tet last two were very successful growing in a 4x4 tent with a air cooled double sided 1000w MH/HPS bulb. However I feel like it could be even better... I’m wanting to up my game and lower my electricity costs or at least up my lighting and remain the same energy costs. I have been looking at KIND LED and spectrum king led lights.... yes they are expensive but I’m looking for quality that will push my grow to it’s limits, what other options do I have that would be a upgrade and not cost $1200-$1700 for a single light? I hear people talk about cob or QB lighting and I’ve also heard decent things about the Viparspectra par1200 off amazon led light system... but I have 0 knowledge on them.

What would you put up?

(Looking for best and proven spectrum/lights to increase yield with all other components met... like food,water,ventilation etc)

Thank you in advance

2. Don't consider any blurple lights. Quantum boards are the newest and best technology. Tbone Shuffle can help you - ask him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. What he said ^^ I will never buy another bulb or blurple LED again after using QBs

4. WIN_20180831_16_00_51_Pro.jpg I swapped from HID to QB LED's

they are doing great, better then the 400w HPS and MH and using about half the electricity.
    they penetrate as good or better then the 400w HID's.!!

they might not penetrate as good as the dbl end 1000, but the horizontal coverage is so much better,
    a 4x4 needs around 600 watts of QB's and they will be spread out over the canopy making more weight.!
    this would be 60% of the elec. and heat from lights and a reduction in a/c cooling (not 40% but reduced)

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Tbone Shuffle, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    I also grow in a 4x4.

If you want to just click the order button and don't want to DIY I would go with either one of these. This 600h fixture puts out 19% more light then a single end 1000 watt hps so you probably will run it dimmed. I think 500-550 watt level is about optimal.
    Horticulture Lighting Group HLG-600H Quantum Board LED Kit V2

Or two of these.
    Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt Quantum Board LED Kit V2

Another option if you're handy with some tools would be 4 of these boards. These new qb96 boards are brand new. 4 of them with 650-700 watts is said to outperform an 1100 watt DE hps.
    QB96 Elite V2 Engine

and one of these drivers.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-480h-54a/mean-well-enterprises

Or this driver if you want up to 620 watts potential.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-600h-54b/mean-well-enterprises

Both will need parallel wiring. The 480h has a built in dimmer. The 600h is a b series ready to solder on a remote dimmer. I couldn't find an A series with built in dimmers in stock.

You could also use two HLG-320h-54a's for 4 boards. It's way more power then needed in a 4x4 though. Almost 700 watts at the wall.

Realize that none of these has to be ran at full power either and it's more efficient for the driver and led to run them dimmed. The driver runs cooler at lower then max output.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. It really only takes about 480-550 watts to fill a 4x4 with those boards. There's cheaper DIY products like the qb120's and qb132's coming around in the next few weeks. With those you could outfit the whole 4x4 for the $400 range.

7. Just so you know many of the people you're talking to have already owned quite a few other brands of leds. I've ran mars, platinum, california lightworks, and HLG. We're speaking from experience after already buying some of those really expensive burple panels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I've grown under hid and Blackdog and qb. That light you have is one of the best. Maybe no longer the best if starting from scratch, but if you have no heat or electricity cost issues I would not swap it out for a qb board. You have virtually no degradation concern because you can replace a bulb every x amount of hours. Hid runs hot but is easily cooled. The qb boards also run hot and need to be cooled. The whole deal with qb is more light for less watts. But 1000w double ended is aleardy top of the line as far as pot quality. I could strongly suggest a 4000k qb board for vegging. It will beat the heck out of any mh. And to be fair, the 3000k is IMO better than any hps in every way. But with your light you are starting from a very high bar and I would not switch unless there is a specific reason you don't like hid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I guess I’ll give my two cents. I run 12 qb120’s in my 4x4 and two of the qb96elite v2 engines in my 2x4.

4D1B0FED-76F6-4312-A9F3-4B620A9A65BB.jpeg AD61EE77-0F0F-45D0-887C-013AEF1D4B7B.jpeg

That said, you have a great flowering light and as @Talkative said, as long as you can exhaust the heat, no need to change. Have you tried any hydro methods like DWC, Hempy, or drain to waste coco? These methods used with your lighting will grow a better crop than soil

10. I would say to save about 400 watts in the flower area along with not having to buy a new bulb 1-2 times a year. Depending on what your electricity cost are saving 400-450 watts is pretty significant. Quality HPS bulbs aren't that cheap. The degradation in leds is neglectable. It's hardly noticeable in 5 years and by then you will have upgraded since more efficient diodes come out all the time that generally run off of the same power supplies. I don't think it's too hard to manage the heat output of 4 qb288 v2's. Remember they're 8% more efficient then the older 288's and 304's if that's what you're running. When you multiply that efficiency gain by 4 boards the larger v2 fixtures run much cooler then the older ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. FYI, qb120’s are back on amazon in 3000k

• Like Like x 3
  12. If they can just hold out till Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @ I love growing weed

13. You know they’ll be gone by then

14. I prefer the qb132 for a flower setup but the 120's aren't bad. You can run 8 of them and it's about 500 watts.
    You get much wider distribution of leds then any fixture you can buy but you have to build it yourself.
    8 x qb120 boards from amazon is $250

1 meanwell HLG-480h-c2800a to run all 8 boards in series. $129.
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-480h-c2800a/mean-well-enterprises

After you buy some wire, a wall cord, and some frame material you'll be a little over $400.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 8 doesn’t quite cut it, the spread is lacking. 12 is a better number for a 4x4 but run them around 200-220 watts per 4 board setup

16. Whoa so much info! I will look up a diy diagram for some frame and QB fixtures. I’m good with diy just not with electrical lol

Thanks again for all the information!

• Like Like x 1
  17. How are you liking those elite 96?

18. Only been up since Monday. I’m running them at 162 watts each and getting about 815 ppfd across the canopy at 16” height. 200,000 lux at 6.5”. Here’s the growth Monday through Friday

1E8C061D-8D40-4036-86E6-61004C57F084.jpeg 48FAD61A-FA77-4DBE-A398-64C29349C62F.jpeg 0D307FE9-AE02-408D-927B-F3816561309B.jpeg A6A2E42F-6FC0-403E-9E38-1F7E2B07EAD2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. In stock Halloween it says

@ I love growing weed

• Like Like x 1
  20. 132’s 35k and 120’s 4K staggered is great for veg and flower 8 total 4x4 course I’m running them slightly higher than 200 but perfect IMO for my 4x4

@ I love growing weed