Switching light cycles?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mwalker123, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Okay so I currently have 9 plants all growing under 2x. 600 HPS. Today is officially six weeks since I planted but this being my first grow I did run into some issues early on with stretching and had a little trouble controlling heat and humidity. At this point I think they Are all happy and healthy.

I am using FFOF soil along with their nutrient trio giving them bytes every other watering since week 3. My tallest plant is about 17in and my shortest is a little over a foot.

I would ideally like my plants all to end about 3 feet.

Do u guys think it's a good time for me to switch or should I hold off another week or so

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. I should also note that although I'm not freaking out about my yield off my first grow I would ideally like to pull about a ounce each plant.

• Like Like x 1
  3. An Ounce each should be easy.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. I thought so. Like I said not terribly worried if I don't. I would think that should be enough to get myself at least most of the way through my second grow.

5. I thought so. Like I said not terribly worried if I don't. I would think that should be enough to get myself at least most of the way through my second grow.

6. A general rule of thumb is once you switch over they'll double in size, so if you switch over now and they are about 1.5ft then they'll be around 3-4 ft by the time its ready to chop.

• Like Like x 1
  7. If you're not in a hurry there's nothing wrong with giving them another week or two.
    The other option is to do a slow step down to 12:12. Go down one or two hours a week until you get to 12. That extends your veg time while doing a more natural transition to flower.

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

8. Thanks for the feedback. How do u guys think they look for my first grow?

9. Once I switch them to 12:12 it will take about a week till I can tell their sex right?
    I bout feminized seeds but I know that is not always a 100%

• Like Like x 1
  10. they look solid so far. If you do a quick switch to 12:12 in my experience it'll be closer to 3 weeks until you see flowering growth.

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

11. You will know within the first couple weeks if you have male or female.

Make sure you look out for Hermies too.

And as stated above plants will get 2-3 times bigger during flower.

12. If I switch to 12:12 over the coarse of 2-3 weeks. How long will it take for me to see flowering growth? Is switching gradually less stressful for my plants? I haven't read anything about changing my cycles slowly so I'm very curious about this.

13. As of now they're on a 18-6 schedule. What do u guys think if I go to 15-9 today and then switch all the way to 12-12 a week from today?

14. I would top those ladies and give them another week of veg and then flip 12/12. They will double or triple size during the first month of flower, so you need to know how much vertical space you have minus the lights and distance to the canopy.

Grow's looking pretty good! Keep it up!
    ~GHG~

• Like Like x 2
  15. There is no benefit to gradually going from 18/6 down to 12/12 (that i'm aware of), I've never personally heard of anyone doing that before either. They look solid so far, honestly I'd let them veg another week or two also before i switched to flower let them get a little bit bigger. You'll know within first 2 weeks of switching what you got in your garden in terms of girls and guys, see balls get it out of there ASAP.