Switching from grow to bloom fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by jakesbigfish, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Here is the question:. What do I use as a que to switch from grow to bloom fertilizer in Colorado? The plants are mature and if my memory serves me correctly I saw my first hairs around third week of July last year. Should I be starting my bloom fertilizer a bit earlier this year? Thanks for the input.

2. Once you see that the plant has solid bud production going, it's time to start bloom nutes. They are divided into the two cycles, veg nutes and bloom nutes. Blooms are flowers which are buds. Once the plant starts to put on buds good, then it's time to make the change to bloom nutes. How much you actually need of them depends on the quality of the media you're growing in. We use Grade A grow soil and I have to use very very little nutes throughout the plant's lives. I like that. I don't like pouring a bunch of chemicals on my plants. It's not the nutes that grow the big plant anyway. Nutes are simply plant food and each plant is looking for that perfect balance or perfect diet. The thing that determines how your plant is going to turn out is the lighting they grow under...throughout their lives. Better lighting makes a better plant and larger, more dense buds. If you're growing outside, you're using the perfect light source. The plant only needs enough nutes (or food) to meet their requirements to stay healthy. Anything over that is just overkill and will end up burning your plants. We only dose at 1/4 the recommended soil dose by the maker and I stopped using the liquid multiple bottle packs and switched to a dry powder, veg/bloom, combo called "Jack's" which is made by J.R. Peters. We grow a LOT of plants here in a year's time and I can get enough of this stuff to last me well over a year for under $20. Easy to use and cheap. As far as mixing nutes goes, you sure can't beat that. You should try mixing nutes to feed 25-30 plants per room with one of those 10-bottle combo box packs. NO THANKS! LOL Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks for all the tips, will have to see if they sell Jack's in my area. I am feeding at about 550 ppm which includes a tap water ppm of about 160. Once a week the tomatoes, peppers and other plants get fertilized. We had a six foot tall cherry tomatoe plant last year lol.

4. I know it's a lot of aggravation to do, but I tried it last year because I was container gardening. We had about 3 summers that were very wet here and I got blight in my soil. By the time I figured out what it was, it had taken over my gardening area. We live in the middle of nowhere...literally, and you have to fence your garden spot to keep the deer, rabbits, coyotes and various other varmits out of your garden. The only solution was to let the ground lay and not plant anything. For 3 years I've been bucket gardening for my staples, tomatoes, squash, cukes, peppers, etc. Butttttt.....if you really want to see your vegetable plants take off and go wild, adjust the pH to the same range for growing MJ in soil (6.3 to 6.7) before you water your plants. Like I said, I tried it last year and my goodness....do they love it.

As far as the "Jack's,"I have a good friend who is a medical grower out in Southern California and she turned me onto it. The easiest way to get it is to go to their website....jrpeters.com. It's part of their product line. For someone who is only growing a few plants, you could probably get away with spending less than $10 and have enough for several rounds. If you're growing outside, it could last you for several years. But it's good stuff and I've not burned one plant since I started using it about 3 or 4 years ago. The nute makers want you to use all they can get you to use, of course, so you'll have to come back and buy more. But I'm telling you, you don't have to use what they say if you're using a soil of any quality at all. Take MG, for instance....people on here hate MG. But these plants will grow in it just like they will in anything else. The off the shelf soils are ALL loaded with slow release fertilizers...even things saying organic. That's how you make cheap wood chips and straw support a plant for a few weeks. If they didn't put the fertilizer in the soil, I'm sure folks would be less than enthused to pay $10 a bag for it. But when you're using it to grow MJ, you just have to keep in mind that it might burn a brand new seedling a bit at first (and some strains are more susceptible than others), but most will overcome it and come on out and grow nicely. Any store bought soil should be amended to about a 60/40 ratio of soil/perlite for adequate drainage. These soils are sold to grow flowers and veggies and holding onto water is what they're designed to do. MJ plants can't deal with sitting in moist conditions all the time and need very good drainage. Thus, the addition of perlite which lets the plant hold onto the water it needs and allow the excess to pass through. Most people who hate MG soil just don't know how to grow the plant in the first place and blame their lack of knowledge on the soil.

Once you get the basics down and grow a couple of plants from birth to death, it's just refining the process after that and repeat, repeat, repeat. But hey, I'm a 52 yo grandmother of 3 and if I can learn to do this in middle age, ANYBODY CAN!! LOL Happy Sunday!! TWW

When I was using the other bottled nutrients, it seemed like I was always burning my plants. I was using the charts and the recommended doses by the manufacturer and less...but was still burning my plants. It finally dawned on me what was going on. That soil that I pay $26 a bag for is actually worth it's money. It was feeding my plants way on into the life of each plant and I didn't need near the nutrient additives suggested for soil growing. Because of how we pot our plants from clone and throughout veg, the soil does 99% of the work and I don't give nutes until about a week or two before they get flipped for flower. I do give throughout the flower cycle on a water, water, feed cycle, but only at about 1/4 the recommended dose. Anything other than that, burns my plants up. I say all that to say this, the soil you grow in is a huge factor...if you're growing in soil, of course. Personally, I don't like the taste of weed grown hydroponically. It's been supported it's entire life on chemicals and it's almost like it makes it taste weird or something. Not to say it won't get you high, because it does, but I just like the more natural approach.

Boy, I can get off track. Back to the vegggies....take a few and pH their water to the correct range. They appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Been using jacks for years was peters for long time I swear by it works great and cheap you don't need them fancy named products to grow good bud

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I would like to use it on my tomatoes and peppers.

7. Fuck man I was so baked last night I was reading one thread and asked that question in here. Lol my bad.

Let's Smoke About It..... -Adam Demamp

Sade's outdoor Bigfoot territory grow