switchable ballast

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by titan2011, Feb 18, 2011.

1. im getting ready to finally get my clones from my guy and put them in my tent, (after fans arrive) my ballast is a Hydrofarm Xtrasun Ballasts from Growco Indoor Garden Supply my reflector a Xtrasun 6 Air-Cooled Reflector with cordset from Growco Indoor Garden Supply

which takes hps and mh bulbs 400,600 and 1000 on hps and 400 and 1000 on mh. my tent is 6.5x6.5x6.5 at first im going to have 6 plants in soil. I still need to buy my bulbs as well could i get away with vegging 6 off a 400w mh bulb? i have 3 of them new in box from a idea i scratched to begin with. https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5042/MH-04001P.html

would that bulb work with the ballast/hood posted? Could i get away with 6ish plants under a 400wer? Then when i want to flower toss a 1000w hps bulb in there? Also figure it'd save a ton on electric not having to have a 1000w mh bulb going 18/6.

2. that depends on how close your plants are together

on my grow, i have a 400w MH and it only has space to light4 five gallon buckets arranged in a square, but they absolutely flourish in its light and if spaced a little closer than 5gallon buckets can be spaced, i think there is enough light to support six plants.

but you are pushing it.

i'd get a 600watter if you can support it to be safe

3. But that bulb should work in the ballast? Don't have the $ to buy a 600 right now.

4. Does not work that way, with a magnetic ballast you must use the same wattage bulb as the ballast.

5. Which ballast did you get? The 600 watt ballast from the link you povided will only run a 600 watt HPS bulb but both the 400 and 1000 watt ballasts can run both a MH and HPS bulb at its rated watts for each ballast.

6. I got the 1000w ballast, I got confused with the ballast and the hood! I'm thinking about picking up some t8's for vegging go cut elec cost

7. I use a HO 8 bulb T5 light set up for short term vegging. Link below is what I got. T8`s dont have as much lumen output as HO T5`s do.

Hydrofarm - Hydrofarm FLP48 T5 4Ft/8-Tube Designer System w/ Bulbs