Swings

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Nobens420, Jul 16, 2010.

1. On the off chance any other serious poker players ever look at this I wanna vent/discuss swings. I play mostly MTT's/18+man SNGS and its pretty aggravating sometimes. By this I mean a majority of the games I play end in failure. I can go 20+ tournies at a time w.o cashing at all. Then win a tourny and be up slightly and do it all over again. I am a winning player and realize this is what tournament poker is all about. However I am seriously considering, once my roll is large enough, switching to cash games. Has anyone found cash games swings to be less sever in your total bankroll?

2. #2 Deleted member 15510, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2019

3. I'm confident that I understand the differences between tournament play and cash game play. I'm also very confident that I would be a winner at 25nl. However, I am under rolled for it. I was hoping to gain some insight into my decision as to whether to switch to cash games when my roll reaches around 1k or keep climbing stakes in tournament format.

4. Cash games are where it's at. I used to eight table 1/2 NL for hours on end, and while sometimes I'd go through bad runs, in the long run I'd ALWAYS make money. Granted, I was a very poor tournament player, I just felt the overall games were weak and people just generally sucked in cash games.

And you're closing in on 1K and your scared for your bankroll at 25NL? That's PLENTY to tear up those games.

Do any of you guys visit 2+2 by any chance?

5. yeah you should post this on 2+2 youll get much better answers

6. For a point of reference, I started off as a casual mtt player and I am now a full time PLO cash player. It really depends on your volume of play and how much the money you are playing with matters to you in the short term. In the short term cash games have bigger swings. If you are playing for a hour it is not uncommon to win or lose 2 buyins (holdem, plo is even swingier) So if you are playing 25nl and have a hour or 2 to play at night. If winning or losing $50 in that time makes your mood go up or down and really affects your mentality towards the game, cash games are not for you. If its no sweat because you understand BR management, you at least have the right mindset and should do alright. When you are solid and put in volume the money always comes back. Long term mtt's have bigger swings. There is simply more luck involved to make big money. It's not that hard to play tight and min cash, but that is not the point of tourneys. Like op said, sometimes you can go 20 tourneys without cashing especially if you are an aggressive player. So just for easy numbers lets say op is playing $5 tourneys. Those 20 tourneys may have taken a while and you lost $100. When you win something you can get a big profit, but if you go on a bad streak its easy to give it back plus some.

In conclusion, its really about your short term mentality involving money.

I've been posting on there daily for almost 4 years. Somewhere in the range of 7500 posts. So ya you could say I visit 2+2 :rolleyes:

7. Ya I love 2+2. I just rly would prefer to be well rolled because I find i play better with alot of buy ins.

MNgreen420- that was a great response, you seem very knowledgeable. I almost never get anwsers of that quality on 2+2 ty

8. You're very welcome. I've been playing for close to 10 years and full time "pro" for 3 years. So I know my stuff pretty well. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer. I will be frequenting this forum more now that me and a buddy started to grow. :)

9. get a video sub to deucescracked or cardrunners if youre going to switch to cash and make sure to have prolly 30-50 buyins. i'd play 25nl for 50k hands and see what kind of winrate you have before completely quitting mtts. i'm on a 40k+ hand downer/breakeven stretch right now at my worst i was like 30 buyins below EV so i know how it feels :)

gl dude

10. Limit Cash - Low Variance
    SNG - Medium Variance
    MTT - More Variance
    NL Cash - Roller Coaster!!!

SNGs helped me establish a great pre flop game as well as a solid endgame. MTTs helped me learn to gather chips and keep pressure on opponents as well as establish a solid post flop game. I still don't touch cash games often.

11. Yeah was on 2+2 but got banned