Swimming in cold water

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by jimbobbybob, Aug 17, 2012.

1. I don't know why but I love jumping into freezing lakes and rivers. Went to glacier this summer and swam across a glacier fed river, cold as hell, I could feel my muscles cramping up.

Anyone have experience with this or enjoy it as I do?

2. nope can't say I do.. but I do love winter time trout fishing when my waders are all iced up from standing in 47* water and the wind temps are in the single digits

3. every spring break we go hiking in Pisgah.
    this is in the park, we hit it on our way out.
    55 degrees is cold as shit in April.

but its amazing when you haven't showered in a week.
    Sliding Rock.
    [​IMG]

4. Cliff jumping into Lake superior

5. FUCK cold water; that's all I have to say

6. Not quite as freezing as you like it, but I do like jumping into a body of crisp, cold water.. Just not freezing or below.

7. I went to a waterfall up in VT this past year, 127 foot with the clearest water ive seen in a while. Water was FREEZING but it was soooo refreshing i loved it!

8. Ha, you swam in my piss.

Lake Superior isn't even that cold this year.

9. I know, keeps gettin warmer every year.

10. [quote name='"jimbobbybob"']I don't know why but I love jumping into freezing lakes and rivers. Went to glacier this summer and swam across a glacier fed river, cold as hell, I could feel my muscles cramping up.

Anyone have experience with this or enjoy it as I do?[/quote]

Lol. U went during the summer. We have the polar bear swim in Tahoe city. Day after
    X-mas. Oh I forgot we get 400 in of snow a year.

11. Tahoe is fucking beutifull dude
    last time me and my cousin went to visit my uncle out there in downieville our cousin convinced us to belly surf down this river at the town bridge all the way to this huge jumping rock, water was like 60tops I remembered from last year and pussed out originally, they come back to the car fighting with eachother cuz they both were scared.

We man up and do it the next day but it is awful, our cousin lied and you can surf at all you have to walk through a bunch of jagged ass rocks and avoid weird mud piles then get back in once your dried off. we finally got to the end giving him a bunch of shit and we have to walk across a current because theres a 4 foot waterfall, we jump over it but the little one slips and almost takes down my cousin and hes holding onto his shoe will hes screaming that hes drowning so he lets go and he goes headfirst down the waterfall.

god I love cali so much different than ohio

12. i live in FL so water is never really that cold....except maybe during winter but idc ill go swimming at the beach in December. (even though i hate the beach in general)

13. only thing that sucks about the beach is how annoying sand gets, I love when the ocean actually makes waves though which barely happens

14. piss would be the least of my worries in Lake Superior.. I'd be more worried about the asbestos from all the tailings that have been dumped into the river from iron mining

15. i went swimming at Burney Falls a couple weeks ago, sign said water is between 40-42 degrees... it was cold as shit