Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sweet Smell / Correct Way to Take a Hit

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by maciej, Jul 10, 2010.

1. I'm new to smoking. My first few times I got high with friends, and their weed smelled like basil before smoked. The weed I have right now smells kinda earthy, but it also has this sweet smell to it. If I come up close and smell it directly, it's kind of like a concentrated (almost like medicine syrup) sweetness. I think they're headies by comparing to images on this site, but I'm new so I can't be sure. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew why they it would smell sweet. Seems kind of odd to me.

My second question is: what is the correct way to take a hit (with a joint/blunt)? I usually don't inhale directly, because I can't handle the harsh burn in my throat. I like to take in a little air with it, so that I can continue to inhale more without coughing. Last time I smoked with my friends (using my sweet smelling stuff), I tried my method, and took like 3 or 4 hits. Two of my friends, on the other hand, each took one hit by directly inhaling as much as they could, and then coughing for a good minute or two. They split because they had to get home, but the next day they told me that they felt it within a few minutes. Me on the other hand, I very slowly came up. I was impatient, and rolled another blunt and proceeded to take another 4 hits in the same fashion with a friend that stayed. Over the next hour or two, I continued to slowly go up. Then, it took me like 2 or 3 hours to slowly come down. Should I be taking direct hits like they are, or am I just naturally really tolerant?

2. just toke that shit hard man take it all down it will hurt first time but 2nd hit will be smooooooooooth ull get high, trust me.

3. You're most likely not inhaling properly. For new smokers, the easiest way to begin inhaling is by drawing as much smoke as possible/you want into your mouth, as a chamber, removing the joint/blunt from your mouth, opening your mouth and breathing in so all the smoke goes down into your lungs.

4. I had always thought that maybe that's how people were able to handle the burn, but it seems a little more complicated. I will try it next time, though. Thanks!

5. If I'm smoking a joint then it's really smooth but I've been smoking for a long time, but even in the beginning it wasn't too harsh. If you're rolling your joint or blunt, make a long, long roach, or 'crutch' as it's called in the US, they are used to cool down the smoke, the longer they are the more time there is for the smoke to cool down. Or clasp your hands together, with the joint in between one of your fingers, make sure no air can escape, and breath through, your hand chamber acts as a cooling chamber and makes for a smoother hit. Hard to explain in words.

6. For the inhaling thing, I just take the smoke into my mouth (like I'm sucking on a straw), take the joint away and then breathe in through my mouth. If you're doing it right then when you exhale there should be kind of a thin cloud of smoke. You don't really need to inhale loads of smoke at a time - taking two or three smaller hits instead of one larger one is fine.

7. I'm sorry Carhartt, but that's probably the worst advice I've ever heard. There is no correct way to hit a blunt, joint, bowl, bong, etc... Just as long as you don't break it, don't leave spit all over it, If it's a bowl corner it, and when in doubt, Puff Puff Pass on anything that's rolled, One Hit Pass on anything glass.

Just as long as you follow those simple guides, nobody cares how you hit it. You can stand on your head and stick your thumb up your ass for all I care while you take a hit. Whatever feels best for you is the right way. Just as long as the end result is the same... highness

8. Well that's my point. I feel like my friends might be getting more high because their technique is different. I guess I should just experiment more with different methods.

9. Here's how I do it. If my lungs are feeling up to it. I just hit the blunt like I'd hit a hookah. Take it straight down. Past the lips, over the gums, look out lungs, here it comes.

But If i feel like I'm going to be coaughing my ass off the whole time, I'll hit it like a would a cig. Just fill my mouth up with smoke, then slowly inhale a combination of fresh air and smoke. It makes the hit less harsh.

And when I get to the end of the blunt, where the smoke is harsher do the all the resin. I'll use the same technique as you, put the blunt loosely to my mouth and take in part air, part smoke all at once.