Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

sweaty insomnia after quitting cannabis..

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Non, Jan 21, 2009.

1. experiencing the exact same thing. my hands and feet also sweat alot during the day when i take t-breaks :/

2. You could perhaps smoke a little beddy by? Just a teeny bit to settle you down. Decrease the amount each night.

If you have a really hard time just take a nice shower (cool water) to cool you down and pop a Melatonin. 1 or 2mg.

Take the Melatonin first actually.

I found this thread while doing a google search on insomnia and cannabis while reading through got "provoked" enough to make an account, as obviously people are still finding this and reading some of the ridiculous statements in this thread.

Guys, you don't have to go ahead and try to justify your smoking habit all the time. Sure, there are lots of cool things about weed but like everything else - it isn't all good - why does it have to be? Stop deluding yourself with crap like "it isn't addictive" or "it's more healthy than cigarettes". On second thought, OK delude yourself if you must - but stop spreading it to other people - they are not you and you have no way of knowing how cannabis affects their body and mind.

It obviously causes sleep problems for most heavy to moderate users. If that isn't a symptom of physical addiction, it's still definitely a symptom of having used the drug so at that time it becomes a definition issue.
    I'm not a regular smoker anymore myself as it did eventually put me in a mental institution (plenty of other stoners in there BTW), but smoke daily for just a week or two and that's a great idea should I need to stay awake for 48 hours+.

So as to make it very clear...marijuana has no addictive properties...none...zero...not even a little...

Stop a person from a habit, what ever it may be, and they will have anxiety...a habit can be pacing, finger tapping, pencil tapping, talking on a phone, watching a tv show, listening to music, watching birds...eating chocolate, puffing a little herb, etc, etc.. ...none of which will cause a physical addiction.

BTW, the misnomer/misrepresentation of medical terms/definitions and abuse of middle-ground fallacies are behind people thinking mental habits and physical addictions are the same thing...(without a physically addictive substance in the plant a user can not be addicted to a plant)...don't believe the fallacies.

5. Couldn't have said it any better.

6. It's one thing to be physically addicted to something, but it's a whole different story to like something so much that you can't stop thinking about it.

Plus, we are creatures of habit.  Old habits die hard, so the more you reinforce the habit (the more you do it) the more concrete that habit becomes in your daily routine, and the harder it will be (mentally) to avoid it.  You know what I mean... the "something's missing" feeling.  You've trained your brain.  It's all in your head.  It takes a lot of willpower to ignore those urges, but it's possible.  Mind over matter.

7. Just to throw it out there, when I quit smoking I lose almost all appetite, but get brief periods of painful hunger. I also sweat throughout the day, struggle sleeping, have suppressed emotions, waves of slight nausea. The painful stomach aches when hungry due to my "marijuana withdrawal" induced suppressed appetite sure seems to be a physical symptom, at least to my senses.

8. ive had this problem before when i have quit in for a little while in the past. the key, i think, is to always take a day off now and again. its never anything thats really serious, and its only happenned to me when i was a heavy smoker. nowadays, i smoke maybe 2 bowls a day tops, and i quit last week after i had an accident at work and have felt absolutely nothing from that (possibly the trauma outshined any mild withdrawal but i think its a mental thing more than anything). i dont know what your daily intake is like but just a tip, if you smoke a few blunts a day or the equivalent of that (i used to, aint no shame in it) quit for a month, then if you choose to start smoking again, smoke small amounts like a half a bowl. you get just as high and you save tons of money.

9. Me too. Even though the thread is ancient, it is very relevant to me as over the last 3-5 years I have increasingly noticed these symptoms and found the forum whilst Googling for help. I want to keep smoking without the unpleasantness, like it used to be.

If you have less than 10 years smoking behind you, you very well might not get any of these things happening to you so maybe you should pipe down. The effects seem to be cummulative or at least only develop after many years so you really dont know what you are talking about. I was the same but now I have first hand experience and lots of it. I would have denied the possibility untilit happened to me, the worst effect prior to that would be a sore throat and coughing up crap from inhaling too much burning plant matter although I do remember thinking I might have a grass allergy from it (hay fever).

I have smoked (weed only, no tobacco ever) more or less daily since I was 19 yrs old, I am now nearly 48. ~100kg @189cm caucasion male, white collar. Married with 2 grown children, 1 smokes weed and 1 is clean of everything. My wife used to smoke with me but quit when pregnant and when she tried to do it again she always spins out so is no fun any more for her.

On the times I take T days or just run out I get these sweats, randomly but worst at night. It literaly runs in drips down my scalp and face, trunk, legs, hands, everywhere. In bed, I can drench a set of sheets in about 10 minutes when it is going. Barely more than an hours sleep on those nights if any. And if I do sleep, the dreams are vivid and repeating, lifelike intensity. Sometimes I will get anxiety attacks because it feels like I cant breathe in, but if I stay calm it just fades with no harm done.

Mornings have become difficult whether I smoked yesterday or not. I wake up and might feel nothing but also may get sudden painful hunger(?) attacks. Often my stomach feels bloated and often have to retch or throw up. If I do throw up it is either just lots of clear mucous and saliva mixed or it might be a full stomach with my undigested dinner still in it. If I am dry, I will have no appetite and struggle to eat anything. This appears to be cyclical, ie it happens in bouts about 2-3 weeks apart but I dont see a correlation between any activities.

I went on a holiday a few months back and was enforced dry for 10 days. I spent the first 3 days with 'chills' ie hot and cold sweats and I wasnt hungry until day 8. Almost ruined the holiday for my wife :( That episode scared me, I nearly needed a drip because I couldn't keep food down and was underfed for many days before it came right. I lived on clear soups and soft wet fruits for that time, lost 3.5kg.

So I now believe I have developed a long-term tolerance effect and these symptoms are a kind of withdrawal from the habit. The vomitting has given me a Hiatus hernia and I am taking omeprazole daily to stop the heartburn. Smoking makes the heartburn worse too.

I was suprised to see so many people with these symptoms, but glad because I see that it is almost within the normal range of experience. I am probably not suffering serious GI problems, just a mild withdrawal. But people who don't experience it want to deny it. Pfft.

10. yawn...

• mj has zero physically addictive properties.<ul><li>this means you can NOT be addicted to mj/mmj.<ul><li>this means you will not suffer from withdrawals if you quit cold turkey.
    </li></ul></li></ul> 

simple logic.

this side note (again):

• mental habits are not addictions, they are HABITS...
    • psychosomatic symptoms are just what the term implies, the symptoms are all in your head..

don't blame getting a virus or some food poisoning on lack of pot over a holiday...

11. DaveC, if you consume anything daily for as long as you say you have been consuming cannabis then quitting will obviously cause symptoms. As has been pointed out, cannabis does not have addictive properties. Anybody that says they are addicted may very well be in their minds, however scientifically their body is not addicted to the substance the way a heroin/nicotine/alcohol addict is.

12. after smoking for fifteen years myself, and having many family members who are nearing the fifty year mark with herb i can honestly say its all a mental addiction. if your strong willed enough its not a problem to quit smoking. there are so many studies proving its a psychological thing over physical all other opinions are moot on this situation.

13. Insomnia and decreased appetite are absolutely symptoms of cannabis withdrawal. Talk about ignorance.

14. #74 DaveC, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
    • Errrm, if you read my post again, you will see I state I believe it to be a withdrawal from the HABIT (ie mental) not physical addiction.
      I get you want to promote that position long and loud, I used to as well, but I have to say that psychosomatic symptoms are no less debilitating to the sufferer than symptoms of a 'real' physical illness and I am looking to relieve those rather than argue with people who have not experienced them (yet?).

You folk are arguing a point I am not trying to debate. Maybe you want to ask yourselves why you react like that, got an agenda anyone?

And cball, I can't accept that I get the same virus or that I have poisoned myself every few weeks for the last few years. Nor that everyone else reporting this is doing the same. Unless you are suggesting that a lot of todays weed is host to some organism that never used to be there and now is, making so many have similar experiences. Or is it just that our crap weed here is all grown indoor now and the fertilizers aren't flushed properly provoking allergies or similar? No mmj in NZ :(

If it is in my head, great. Anyone know an effective method of reprogramming myself so it doesn't do it anymore? Please?

... and there is no point in more arguing about the causes with me (or anyone else feeling this I imagine) guys, I just want to keep the lifestyle without feeling ill on a regular basis. This is my drug of choice, I don't much like any of the others. I want to keep it up. If you can't help with a practical suggestion then don't waste your time repeating a mantra at me, I have heard it already and find it wanting - it doesn't provide a way forward for me other than giving up because I can't figure out a better option.

15. Not quite.
    The 'somatic' part of the word points out that the symptoms are actually manifesting in the physical body, so it is not 'all' in your head ie it is a real physical effect, although the orginating cause is or at least may be purely in your mind.

If you don't have it, lucky old you. I bet I speak for many of us who are experiencing this when I say I am jealous, because I swear it really sucks when it happens to me. Took me over 20 years of smoking before I noticed anything in myself, if you have passed that milestone without getting it I am very envious.

Now that so many of you have expressed your own lack of this 'psychosomatic illness' experience so eloquently and repeatedly which we have all now read and understood many times, why not hide the thread from your profile so it doesn't provoke you so much when those of us who do get it discuss the issue to see how to reduce our discomfort?

16. #76 cball, Jul 25, 2013

ya, ignorance as in not knowing the difference between a habit and addiction.

17. you can not have withdrawals from a HABIT unless the substance is addictive...it is all in your head.

no shit the body is where the 'symptoms' appear, that is the freaking meaning of the term...it doesn't, at any time, give room to redefine and interpret it as an addiction issue of the body...

don't try to spin it to mean what you want it too...

19. #79 MrTea, Jul 25, 2013
    Drink a beer if you are having a poor appetite.  A beer or glass of wine can is known to stimulate the appetite, trust me.  Back when I was mentally addicted to marijuana a few years back, whenever I quit I got appetite withdrawal for a week.  One beer before every meal and you're fine :)

Btw, way to bump a 5 year old thread lol.

20. #80 3Deez, Jul 25, 2013
    I recently retired from the Marine Corps and I can finally smoke to help with my broken body. I sleep like a baby after more than 20 years of broken sleep every night without the aid of meds. It was either that or take the meds, get sleep and walk around like a zombie half the next day. Im happy to say that Ive unofficially been off all 5 of prescribed meds for almost three months now! I just worry a bit though because when I dont smoke prior to bed, I sleep like crap.