Suspending disbelief

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by esseff, Mar 19, 2019.

1. No, Jesus was never wrong. What I am saying is since Enoch was able to enter Heaven he had to be born again. Leading into the next point of how was that possible without Jesus?

2. The one used in your link.

That's for sure. But here we go again, trying to insert secular wisdom between the pages of the Bible. This article assumes in the day of Peleg the earth being divided means continents catastrophically busted apart and separated. What really happened is during Pelegs lifetime the people of the world were divided into different language groups and dispersed. That'd be the big happening at the Tower of Babel. Which, btw, was an observatory being built by scientists - astrologers of the day, to worship the stars.
    Planet explosion and earth getting hit with debris, to the point of global catastrophe [that would rearrange continents]..... well, I'm having a hard time imagining mankind pulling through that - today or in Pelegs day. I'm more inclined to think it was the same catastrophe that caused the flood.

Oh well, keep search for the truth. At least you're searching.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You mentioned a secular presupposition before I posted a link.

My only presupposition is that there is an absolute truth.

He isnt weaseling in secular wisdom, maybe it was in another article on his website but he differentiates between orbital time and atomic time. Scientists deal with atomic time, the timeline in the Bible is orbital time, and he demonstrates that atomic time has changed (slowed way down) since creation.

So when you have a radioactive isotope that appears to have aged 4billion years is because atomic time was flowing faster.

4. I see you differently, but that's only perception from my end.

Yes, thanks for the help, I just didn't care for his building blocks.

I'm not up to speed on atomic time, but it sounds logical. I have read that our universe is expanding, and slowing down.
    Also, I have read, a few times, that the 14C content of the atmosphere has varied considerably in the past because of climate changes and fluctuations in the amount of cosmic-ray radiation (sun flares) reaching the earth. For example, periods of low cosmic-ray activity would dilute the radioactive carbon, 14C, in tree rings and such, making the ages appear much greater than they really are.
    FWIW, I have also read that carbon14 is only dateable to a few thousand years. Like 5k and change, I think. But not the millions and billions of years that we often read.

5. Yeah depends who you ask, i have heard c14 is good up to 20k+

In this case it'd be potassium/argon.

Now they say it is expanding at an accelerating rate, but IMO science is in shambles so I check out people that have different explanations like that gentleman.

6. I agree

7. So true! Carbon 14 dating is based on the assumption that the sun's output is constant and unchanging but we know from astronomy that the sun operates in cycles and its output is not constant and is changing. You would think C14 dating would be outdated but it isn't because it fits inside of their paradigm. It is like counting ice rings to date how old an ice sheet is but it turned out that the rings aren't yearly cycles but storms. Does that stop them from counting them and saying it is years of course not because it fits their paradigm.

8. No, not at all. We need to realize God knows our hearts, He knows our thoughts, our loves and our fears. A person, for example, is dying and unable to leave their bed and accepts Jesus's message and repents of their sins. How could that person be baptized? In that case, they would be 'grandfathered in'.

9. I guess at the end of the day I simply can’t agree that people of other faiths will be
    In the same heaven you believe in - because they will never be “born again” - ever ever ever because they simply don’t even believe in the same god or Jesus as you do - so that automatically rules out billions of people immediately.

J

10. So I’m also really curious as to why Christians appear to be so divided about the 10 Commandments -

If you were to Google “Are the 10 Commandments relevant today”, or “Are Christians still required to keep the 10 Commandments “ you’re going to see some crazy stuff - with a huge amount of Christians saying that they simply aren’t relative anymore -

I mean ALOT of Christians are saying this -

I find it shocking personally that this could ever be.

There’s pretty much two things that Christianity is based on and those are the Bible and the 10 Commandments right? How could Christians think this way? I’m curious as to what anyone thinks about this.

J

11. Do any of us really know? I can't say I believe this and not dedicate my life to it. You can't stop and say, I know enough because we don't. Believe it or not, religion is a major issue in our individual lives, even if you don't have a religion.

@NorseMythology Amen! There will be a Judgement Day as sure as Noah believed in the flood.

@jerry111165 'Those who keep the Commandments of God and the faith of Jesus', pretty clear to me. Nowhere in the Bible has any of the Commandments been changed. I also have been told those things. I was told by a pastor that there are only 9 Commandments, the Sabbath was done away with! Of course, I asked for a verse but he didn't know of one! The Bible said those things were happening, Rev. 2:12-17, the Compromising Church. The path to Hell is wide and smooth but the path of the righteous is narrow and steep.

12. Examples of what I am seeing - and it appears to be progressing significantly.

Link: Mega-pastor: Ten Commandments no longer applicable - WND - WND

WASHINGTON – A mega-pastor of one of the largest “evangelical” churches in the U.S. is attacking the Old Testament again, this time insisting Jesus rendered the Ten Commandments null and void, issuing one new law “as a replacement for everything.”

Andy Stanley, pastor of the 34,000-member North Point Community Church in suburban Atlanta, who famously advised his flock to “unhitch” from the Old Testament in a sermon last spring, has now penned an article promoting his new book saying laws such as “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” and “Thou shalt not kill” are no longer relevant to Christians living in the New Covenant era.

So many more if you look.

https://thelifebridgechurch.com/big10/

Seems there’s a pretty divided group on this.

J

13. #133 esseff, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    ^^^And that reveals the issue in a nutshell. The very nature of a mind-made dogmatic ideology, and I don't just mean Christianity here of course, is that it will be forever interpreted, adjusted, played with, by whomever feels they are in power and can attempt to determine such things. Opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one, and who says theirs is realer than anyone else's?

Look, it comes down to this. Believe whatever you feel works for you. But the moment you start to debate why the way you see it is the way someone else ought to, that is where the issue arises. Only if things are revealed without judgment will they eventually lead to understanding not conflict, as the ego having invested in the idea has a need to feel validated and right.

So all the differences, the different ways of understanding it, the details that need to be examined and argued over to find a logical common way of interpretation and acceptance, can be let go. You see it your way, I'll see it mine, and both are right, and as I walk my path, find and feel more of what confirms my own personal connection, all is good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The final chapter:
    "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book"
    "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book."
    From Revelation, but I view the Bible as a whole.

15. @Ronhip - I’m completely with you on this - that if you’re going to claim to be (even if only to yourself) a Christian, a Muslim, a Hindu or a Rastafarian that you can’t take the doctrine that defines and twist it around to your own ends -

It IS WHAT IT IS - it is what it was meant to be and is not for people to change to their own ends - no matter the reasoning.

I was pretty shocked and horrified to be completely honest - and this coming from one of the large church groups...

J

• Like Like x 1
  16. Here’s another thing that really fries my butt - and please, this is in no way an attack on Catholics anywhere but I’m referring to catholic “Saints” -

So the Catholic Church actually has people
    Pray to these people that have been made saints by the leaders of the church -

PRAYING TO MEN???

Wtf is up w/ that???

J

• Like Like x 1
  17. Most of those mega churches are CIA operated

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Just believe.

19. But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, ready at any time to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

20. The Tinkerbell Effect is a real thing; the more people believe in something the realer it becomes.

6436F480-0395-4DCF-9E43-C14D20831777.png

Just Believe.

J

• Like Like x 1