Suspending disbelief

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by esseff, Mar 19, 2019.

1. I was going to skip this but I don't want to avoid any of your questions. First off, using violence against another person is against our laws and clearly, it isn't allowed by our loving God. Secondly, I would inform the police of illegal activity. Lastly, I would wonder why my parents never told me I had a sister. Ok, that last part was a joke, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sounds like you’re getting upset - no need lol

So what you’re saying is that everyone in the world has already been born again - because Jesus was baptized for THEM - so that even if they pray to their own multiple
    Gods - or don’t even acknowledge God at all, that their covered whether they realize it or not - no matter what or who they worship - even though they’re breaking the 10 commandments by doing so -

Basically everyone is already “grandfathered in” because Jesus was baptized-

Everyone - no matter what?

J

3. Hmm...

Is there any indication that Jesus was being baptized for those who couldn't be?

4. Hey I’m not a stone lol - I like jokes too ya know

So Jesus, a rabbi and a donkey go into
    A bar -

Nvm lol

My point of that specific post was that it was ok for God to physically hurt and kill so many - but it’s against the Commandments for us to do It.

Or the brother in law hurts your sister - and tells her “I do this because I love you” - would you believe that? Did God hurt all those people because he loves them?

J

5. I think I should be a god. I'm full of love although I can't do the loving bad people thing. I am not that good of a human. I get angry often and I run my mouth way too often. I wish I was as good as our father in heaven but i never will be.

6. That's fair. So why engage in discussions about it? I love God and I want to spread the joy and wonders that God has to offer. Sadly, many people feel as you do. As I have stated already I enjoy talking about God's love. Being disabled I am unable to go door-to-door sharing the Word so the internet is my window to the world.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a]them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you.18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sinagainst the Lord your God.

8. My response to the above passage would be

"Well the God of Jesus is loving and forbids murder, so whoever was claiming to be God was a liar"

• Like Like x 2
  9. You’re right - SO MANY want the contradictions answered.

I hear that all religions can access heaven but Jesus says otherwise - and very clearly right?

How am I supposed to feel when I continuously hear about a loving God yet the book that Christianity depends upon, the book that the religion is completely based on tells us of so many stories of NEEDLESS death, that it’s ok to have slaves, so much much negative stuff around the God of the Bible - But man, if anyone else wants to do this we would call them a total monster? This is not a loving God in my opinion. You could say whatever you want but if God was a loving caring and forgiving God then there would be zero need for all of the brutality in the Bible.

This God that says homosexuals should be killed does not sit well with me. You tell me that it’s a choice but I don’t believe it for a minute. This God that has 42 children mauled by Bears for taunting a bald man is not a loving God. There’s nothing you can say to me to make me believe otherwise when I read these stories.

J

10. And here lies the nutshell. When you start with a secular presupposition and search for ways to make the Bible line up with the secular worldview, (it doesn't) you're bound to end up with contradictory confusion that makes little if any sense. But if you start out with God as the authority on His Word, it comes together and starts making more sense the more you read it.
    One simplified example would be trying to fit millions of years between the 6 days of creation. It just doesn't align with the rest of the Bible, and when teaching old earth views as fact, then interject it into the young earth views, neither make much sense.
    Or God using his righteous to administer judgement on the evil in the world, from a modern secular worldview, makes God appear to be an evil, murderous, killer. The secular worldview cannot make sense of this. It insistently excludes the concept that Love desires to conquer Evil. The secular world defines Love differently altogether.

Dude..... he did.
    Jesus read to the congregation from that book when he began His ministry.
    And the world has been full of false teachers since the book of Acts.

11. At least a hypocrite - or perhaps even Satan in disguise?

How can I worship - give myself totally and completely to anyone - any diety that has 42 children horribly torn apart by bears - For making fun of a bald man?

I can only be told that I have to read between the lines so many times.

J

12. What secular presupposition?
    |

Someone has already done that

Brief_Geological_Model
    |

That book wasn't the Bible

13. I did answer the questions about homosexuality but that's ok. The marriage union was created in the Garden, one man and one woman. Any sex outside of marriage is a sin be it heterosexuality or homosexuality. Any sin not repented of is punishable by death. No way around this one. I want to clarify something there is no sin that is better or worst than another. Telling white lies all the time is also living in a state of sin. What I mean by state of sin is accepting your sins and living with them with no effort to change. People like to think it is a little thing no biggy.

Working on Sunday? Sure why not? We should work every day except of course on the holy Sabbath which is from Friday sundown thru Saturday sundown. Now, now before you start. The Jews went nuts over the Sabbath making up rules and ways around those rules it was a mess when Jesus showed up. This Sabbath I am planning on answering the rest of your commits but that is work someone would say. It's God's work, the Sabbath is a blessing for man and not a burden. I will watch some sermons on the internet and mostly play with my grandson. I look forward to the Sabbath and I am sad with it ends. Here is a great website that offers all the information about the Sabbath: What day is the Sabbath and does it matter? | Sabbath Truth

14. So we can murder as long as we claim we have righteous justice on our side?

Who decides if it is righteous justice or demonic possession

15. I agree people need to know what they are getting into. I think people should check things out but how many people want to read scholarly papers and do a real look into what they are believing. People don't have the time and desire. That was one of my questions I needed to answer before I was baptized. I posted a paper in an earlier post about Alexander the Great going to Jerusalem. It is a good scholarly read regardless of where your stand is. I will add it to this post also. If you read it please tell me your thoughts on it.

Attached Files:

16. I found a really good website addressing this topic. (Disclaimer - not my denomination) If you read it I would like your thoughts on it.

Is the Old Testament God Evil?

• Like Like x 1
  17. I read through parts of it, though they were addressing New Atheists, which I am not an atheist so my arguments come from a different angle.

In the article

"First, Israel would not have been justified to attack the Canaanites without Yahweh’s explicit command. Yahweh issued His unique command in light of a morally sufficient reason — the intractable wickedness of Canaanite culture and the moral and spiritual danger it posed."

So Yahweh did specifically command Israel to break the Law, Gods Law. If it was God who dealy wanted the exceedingly sinful Canaanites to be obliterated, wouldn't a natural disaster or some other 'act of God" been a better choice then putting people in the position of "follow the law and your moral compass" or "obey me now". I would honestly assume any being that wanted people annihilated was some sort of evil entity.

When psychopaths nowadays say God told them to murder, do Christians defend them? No, because moral people (should) recognize any voice or compulsion to do evil is EVIL.

Read the passages about Yahweh, he is described as a "man of war" and "jealous" and liking the smell of flesh. I mean, if those are attributes of the Loving God...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. People really should, if you are going to devote your entire life to something, you should know a lot about it and keep learning it.

I was raised Christian and devoured information about it, watched countless lectures and debates, thought about it, read the Bible etc. I debated atheists all the time, I still do, but I can not defend Biblical Christianity.

I follow and listen to Jay Dyer on youtube, probably one of the most well educated Christians I have come across. I never believe I have it all figured out, I just honestly seek the truth, and I am prepared for Judgement day, I hope there is one!

I risk my life for my pursuit of truth.

19. Today Hindus, Buddhists and Christians live among each other and help rule some nations together. So everyone has access to the Bible and for one reason or another, they have rejected it and no they would not be able to enter into Heaven.

20. That is my wish also! And afterwards, smoke a bowl together as friends should!