Suspected Cal/Mag deficiency need help!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jackb1900, Apr 13, 2010.

1. I have some bagseed females that are kind of in later flower, about 50 days in, and another set of bagseed females that are staggered behind them by about 20 days, so they are around 30 days in. I suspect it is Cal/Mag deficiency because that is the only thing I can seem to find that matches up with the way the fan leaves look. A quick overview of what I did...I use MaxiGrow/MaxiBloom. I am in about 20 gallons of water for each container. I use epsomsalt at roughly 1/4 strength, and MaxiGrow/MaxiBloom at 1/4 strength, and slowly work my way up to 1/2 strength throughout the flowering process. I tend to add the epsomsalts in every water change, which is normally around every 2 or 3 weeks. I had mixed up 1/4 strength epsom salts with a mixture of MaxiGrow/MaxiBloom.

When they are coming from the vegetative state I keep some MaxiGrow/MaxiBloom in the reservoir and mix it 1:1. As the plants progress through flower I tend to add less MaxiGrow and more MaxiBloom. I have had this suspected cal/mag deficiencies for the past couple weeks, and the leaves now have lots of brown rust spots, and my smaller clones who are in the staggered container for a perpetual grow are beginning to get really crispy. I decided to try foilar feeding some magnesium, and that didn't work out very well. I thought it might of been a pH problem, so I did a water change two times, one with a normal 1/2 strength level of nutrients, and when the problem didn't seem to be clearing up, I did another water change with 1/4 strength nutrients to hopefully stop some of the lockout that I thought might of been going on. However the problem doesn't seem to be getting any better. I don't have pictures yet, but I will later tonight. I am kind of late in flower on one of the containers and the top colas are starting to get a lot of red hairs even though the remaining colas seem to be pretty far behind. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will be able to get pictures up later tonight when the lights go off. Thanks!

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Hydroponics
    What brand and type of soil? N/A
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Bagseed (It is from mexican brick, although it looks like a hybrid)
    How old are the plants? In one container they are about 3 -4 months old, and in another container only about 1 1/2 months old.
    What type of lights and how many watts? One 250W MH and one 400W HPS all in flowering chamber.
    How far from the lights? The 250W MH is around 18 inches, and the 400W HPS is pretty close, sitting at around 10 - 12 inches in a vented hood.
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? Tap water, not treated and I change the reservoir once every two to three weeks.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? MaxiBloom/MaxiGrow at 1/4 strength at the moment, gradually moved to 1/2 strength. MaxiGrow - 10-5-14 ; MaxiBloom - 5 - 15 - 14.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? I am using rockwool cubes, held in netpots surrounded by hydroton rocks. The pH since in hydro stays between 5.4 - 5.9, and I am unsure of the PPM.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? The temperatures are around 72 degrees Fahrenheit with the lights off and 79 degrees fahrenheit with the lights on. The humidity is around 35% to 45%.
    What size pots? 3 3/4" net pots.
    Any bugs? Look real close. I have inspected the underside of the leaves and the plants, but haven't found any bugs.
    Any other pertinent info? Refer to top of post.

2. Wow most people dont even say if they are doing hydro or soil, but..... a picture says a thousand words. All that info and pics and we can def help you figure out the problem.

3. Is your new growth showing signs of improvement after correction? That calico coloration and the burning is going to be permanent on affected leaves, so even if you get everything dialed back in, it's not just going to green up.

4. I will observe the new growth tomorrow and see if I can tell any difference, kind of hard to determine if I have been helping anything with the water change, but I figured it would be better to drop the concentration of nutrients and see if the plants even out. So the route I've taken is the correct one?

5. Yes, it's what I would do. But I'm a soil geek, so some hydro guru may come in and prove me wrong. . .

Give it a day or two. If you got it right, then you'll see the wilting go away, and vigorous new growth.

6. Hey man,

I had a magnesium deficiency earlier in my grow, straightened it out with some Epsom, and this definitely doesn't look like the same thing. My yellowing started at the bottom first and then spread upward. This looks like it could be Calcium, though I'm not 100% since I've never personally had the problem. I can say 100%, however, this is not a Magnesium deficiency.
    :wave:

7. i agree with ghost.right now i have mg deff,and i dont know ifts a ph lock out or a def, but it deffinitly starts on the bottom or in the middle.

8. Alright sweet, started checking the new growth and they don't seem to be burned, or have any of the deficiencies. I also moved the light a little bit farther away from the plant in case that was causing them to lose moisture at the leaf, and it seems they are softening up a bit and returning back some what to their natural state. Thanks for all the help! :-0