Surviving on minimum wage

Discussion in 'General' started by Rollin Cr00k3d, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Do any of you survive off of minimum wage? Or do any of you think its possible nowadays?

Im not talking about living comfortable, im talking about surviving...

Food, Water, small apartment, gas, etc.

Is it still possible?

2. Impossible. Just to rent would be a paycheck

3. I've done it before... Income based housing and food stamps ftw

4. You could survive i guess, but it would be just that. Minimum wage is what? $7.50 an hour? If you got a run down efficiency apartment with utilities included, took the bus and ate nothing but ramen and stared at the wall all day you could do it, personally i dont feel i can live off of anything under $12 an hour, and even at that i barely get by

5. maybe if you live in a small shitty ass apartment in the inner city in a bad neighborhood, ride a bike/walk to work, and don't have the munchies constantly.

6. well i make like 30 cents over it with a wife that works part time.

so its not that hard.

but part time on your own.

doubt it, you could pay rent, but would die of hunger and not having weed

7. Maybe if you lived in an efficiency with a significant other? Lol.

8. I mean working 40 hours a week at about $8 an hour is like $1300 a month.

food is what....a $80-100 maybe?
    rent....$600-700 or less with utilities
    phone-$25 with pre paid
    gas-$80
    insurance-$100

Then you got $400 for whatever else im forgettin.

9. no, the rent is to damn high!

10. Currently I have an apartment for 445 a month with utilities included and cable + internet. Then again, Its an apartment complex for college kids.

11. If you make minimum wage, you live a minimum life.

12. food is mor elike 200 a month maybe more

13. I don't think it's possible. To do it on your own I'd say you would have to atleast make 10 an hour, and that's not living very comfortably.

14. In many third world countries, half of the population are living on minimum wage and the other half are living with less.

15. that's why they're called third world countries.

16. Because everyone is poor?

17. I do something similar here. I;m lucky in some respects because in this country things like fresh food, alcohol, cigarettes (to a degree) and weed are compartively cheap. I rent a room rather than a flat, you can get rooms with inclusive bills which helps you budget. I have a longboard for my commute, sold my car last year, not taken a bus or train other than for leisure (to the beach or whatever) for just as long. I cook at home, lots of simple meals (home made pizza, pasta, egg fried rice, lots of veg, chorizo/fuet dried meat, cereal, bread).

At the moment I'm not working full time which has made it really hard - the winter is a very slow season here. But when I work full time almost half goes to my rent, and the rest is for food and weed ;D

I think the biggest killer is rent. I have friends who do 'private squats', one is two bedroom with 5 people staying and the rent works out at the equivilant of 200$ a month. Another option is to find a flat that needs work, I saw a 4 bedroom with no fittings (hooked to the mains for water and electric but no faucets or outlets) for the equivilant of 400$. If you know tradesmen (or find people who can do it who want to move in) you could score an awesome deal longterm.

Whats hard tho is buying those big bill items. I can't imagine being able to afford a car, fuck even a nice computer, on my current income. A big medical bill would floor me.

It's nice here you can grow your own green, too. Going to start growing when it gets warmer again, that should save me a lot of cash!

So IMO if you can: find cheap accomodation, a local job, are economical with your food and cook from fresh, and aren't too attached to your luxuries, you'll be fine.

18. And they don't survive

19. Actually they survive quite well. Almost too well.

Their population grow rate is the hightest in the world.

20. Survival is easy if you have a paycheck

Any other answers are false, when you have food in your stomach, thats all you need. Speaking as an unemployed, homeless 20 year old in the process of moving across the country, I'd say you are jaded as fuck and should stop to appreciate the small things in life. I'm lucky enough to have a car, and my insurance has been paid 6 months in advance, but gas is a hard one. I'm glad I can stay in my buddies addition to his house with a couch and heat and a bathroom.

When was the last time you slept on a bed? Or were able to take a shower right after waking up? Or had to find a public restroom to shave and brush your teeth? I don't complain about a single thing though, I have a brand new skateboard thanks to my friend, a place to stay and wash my clothes and shower sometimes thanks to my friend, I 'm usually able to get enough calories in a day from my friends to complement the amount of calories I provide for myself so that I maintain of level of malnutrition that isn't at the starving point.

I really just need to get my ass back in school. Fortunately I murdered the SAT and qualify for loads of scholarships, I'm waiting to move down to Memphis to meet up with my parents so I can have an address and actually get a damn job lol (don't even suggest I'm unemployed by choice and not trying to do anything about it).

But truthfully, I'm content as a cucumber. I don't give a damn about the usual material items, only a decent skateboard and a way to listen to music. I'm gonna be in school for a decade just to learn what I need to know to do what I love and actually make breakthroughs in my field.

Life is beautiful man, be glad you have 7.55 an hour to get you through to tomorrow