Survival Horror

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Mogwai, Apr 19, 2012.

1. I've been a big fan of these games for quite a while now. I feel like the genre is dying out and being replaced with more of a "survival action horror" type thing, if that makes sense. That's okay, because action can be fun.. but the action element seems to take the wheel, and the actual survival part is hardly in these games anymore.

Anybody else a little sad that this genre is going the way of the dinosaurs? It really does feel almost extinct, at least as far as console gaming goes (which is all I really play). Sure, the newer games that could be labeled as survival horror are fun and all, but like I said, they're not the same as they used to be and that's too bad.

What were your favorite survival horror games? I understand the whole survival action horror thing and straight up survival horror are super close to eachother in many was, so it can be hard to distinguish what some games lean more towards. I'm sure there are technical definitions I could say this thread should go by, but fuck it. If you loved a game and you considered it to be this genre, include it.

Of course I love Resident Evil games.. especially the old ones. 4 (though this one really was more action than survival) was great, and all the ones before it were a blast too.. especially 3. I also really loved Dino Crises 2. The first one was alright, but DC2 was just fucking amazing. There are others I enjoyed, but I'll let you guys speak first.

2. Killing floor, amazing survival horror game, used to play it for hours heh

3. I haven't really played many of them. I've played the first 4 Silent Hill games, Amnesia, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil, and Left 4 Dead (if that even counts).

4. I was playing Leon's Scenario B in RE2 just the other day. It's a miracle I still have my memory cards lol.
    I love all the RE games, but the new ones (4 & 5) just don't compare to the old ones. I mean the gameplay is awesome, but those old school fixed camera angles made the game in my opinion.
    And for the record, Silent Hill used to scare the shit out of me. Those little kid ghosts would fucking haunt me for years haha.

5. bring back the old resident evil and silent hill games. i miss the tank controls.

6. Survival horrors are my favorite. Just played through Silent Hill Downpour and Silent Hill HD Collection on the 360. I recommend the HD Collection. Playing Silent Hill 2 with updated graphics was amazing, as the original SH2 was imo the best survival horror yet. Right now I'm playing through Dead Space. I started playing it when it first came out, but I rented it from GameFly and had to return it. Awesome game.

7. Yeah I just found out there was a Silent Hill HD collection on 360, I need to get it. I haven't really played the early Silent Hill games very much. I rented the first two back in the day and they seemed pretty good, I just never got around to buying them haha.

And I've also been looking at Dead Space. I'd always heard it was good but never payed much attention for some reason. I'm guessing it can't be too much used.