Surrounded by Ignorance

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BlueTang, Mar 19, 2012.

1. #1 BlueTang, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    Does anyone ever feel like you're stranded on an island of dumb people? Unable to connect with people because you feel superior..? I feel really pretentious just typing this but its the truth. I feel empty because there is nobody here that can challenge my opinions or stimulate my mind. I recently moved to a new town, and had to abandon some friends I had a lot of respect and admiration for. This isolation has led to some social anxiety and some swift mood changes. I know Im not the only one..

2. Your not..i just challenge myself everyday instead of hoping others will, I read all the time and grow day by day.

My social anxiety is dissipating the more I accept that I am on a different level than most..it's ok to be different you'll find someone you will relate to sooner or later just be open

3. If you truly are that way you can learn to deal with it and use it to your advantage instead of acting all angry and anxious about it or whatever. Chances are you are not that way though. Maybe try therapy/psychiatry or something and see what they say about it all.

4. Narcissism does not make you superior.

5. Obviously not, but sometimes you try hard to relate to people but they just arent on the same intellectual level. I care about others, and Im not a narcissist, but in a world of people who only care about abercrombie, lady gaga, and project x, its tough to find people with even a hint of autonomy about them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I feel this when way I am driving. I feel like the best driver in the world (which I know I am not) and feel like everyone else is a fucking idiot (which I know they're not). I get really impatient with people - I get angry when people don't immediately start driving when the light turns green. I hate it when people take way too fucking long to turn. I hate it when people drive below the speed level, or are swerving around, or are pulling out in front of me without looking. I get really bad road rage because I feel like everyone fucking sucks at driving.

I am really patient with people in all other situations, but there's something about driving that makes me want to punch people. :/

7. Youre experiencing culture shock. When i moved to a big city from a small town and then back again, iwent through the same feelings. Drop the prestigious attitude, chill out, smoke at the park or something and youll find some cool ass people. Small town people are like big city people on a smaller scale. Theres at least one of every type of person youve met before everywhere all the time.

8. I feel like I can't truly connect with most people because, unfortunately, most people can't think for themselves and come across as very ignorant/brain washed. Who wants a friend like that? I don't.
    Sometimes, I feel like the majority of the population will believe anything they hear/see on TV or in the news, and it's repulsive.
    I sit here and watch people get fed heaping piles of steaming-fresh bs multiple times a day. The worst part is, they believe the propaganda and continue living their lives full of fear & ignorance.
    I don't know what to say about how stupid and naive some people can be. It baffles me how gullible most people truly are!
    I know how it feels to not really click with others because your thoughts/opinions are so "out there."
    It sucks. :-(

9. I kinda feel like that too, but I don't think I am "superior" to other people, I just think I am more open-minded and more of a free-thinker than most people I know are...

10. Wow, there are some real social butterflies around here.

Are you contemptuous because you don't fit in, or don't fit in because you're contemptuous?

Being part of a community of peers does not require consensus, only respect. Something you folks have given up on, apparently. That's sad, because it distances you from your goal. You isolate yourself to that end.

11. [quote name='"Inlakesh"']I kinda feel like that too, but I don't think I am "superior" to other people, I just think I am more open-minded and more of a free-thinker than most people I know are...[/quote]

Exactly.

12. [quote name='"Sam_Spade"']Wow, there are some real social butterflies around here.

Are you contemptuous because you don't fit in, or don't fit in because you're contemptuous?

Being part of a community of peers does not require consensus, only respect. Something you folks have given up on, apparently. That's sad, because it distances you from your goal. You isolate yourself to that end.[/quote]

The point is that I would rather not conform to societal norms if it means ill have a couple more friends. I want to surround myself with people whose company I enjoy, not just be with people just for the hell of it. There is a difference between having standards and self-isolation. I dont show contempt to anyone, I simply feel that I have the right to be around like-minded people who can take a step back and see the big picture.

13. #13 TheAtmansPath, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    by definition.
    Is it also true that superiority does not make you narcissistic?

If so, this is the first post i've ever seen of yours that lacked substance

14. Well I do feel that ever since I smoked copious amounts of marijuana, I do realize that stupidity and ignorance is actually an virus that spreads from generations to generations, when children grow up their at that stage where their curiosity makes them asking daily questions about life and they want answers but the Parents tell them lies instead of the actual truth which will result in the child actually believing that.

Most people believe everything they hear/see and don't actually question the moral of it and also most people fear others of what they cannot understand and others are too lazy to intake information rather than trivial stuff on TV so yes I do relate. However, I do feel like I'm on a higher level than most people can ever come close but they call a smart ass? why because I intake actual information no I'm not an smart ass but a smart alec that doesn't conform to being parts the of flock of sheep, I'm a wolf that leads my own destined path.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think tautology has a lot of substance.

5,449 out of 5,450 ain't a bad score.

16. Damn OP i feel your pain.

Some days i feel like I'm surrounded by epsilon, peasant serfs, lost somewhere between 14th century religious fallacy, gaping logical flaws, and sedated zombie like behavior. Even my own family is hard to relate to at this point. No one left in society cares about the state of the world, the universe, or even themselves for that matter.

Just rats in a cage...and as painful as it is to continuously experience the epiphany of being surrounded by this undeniable "durp," this profile and generalization describes 99% of the people i meet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Most people are extroverts. They don't need the intellectual stimulation that you seem to desire. They get their satisfaction from socializing...no deep conversation required. Different strokes for different folks.

18. If this is satire, it's beautiful.

If it's not... well... day-um.