Surgeon General Epistemology

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Et Cetera, Apr 30, 2009.

1. #1 Et Cetera, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
    I'm looking at a can of tobacco with a warning label that says, "This product contains/produces chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer." I find this not too surprising but strange nonetheless. Why is it that just one state is claiming to know this information -- let alone THE most populated state -- as if this information was made unavailable to the other states?

It's obvious that this wording was chosen in order to pinpoint where this evidence was gathered, or at the very least that the government representatives of that particular state chose to recognize such information to point out that other states haven't, making CA just soooo ahead of its sister states (that is to say, self-congratulations).

So I understand the politics behind it. However, my point is that they have deliberately chosen to discredit the word "know." So is it that California knows this, and others do not? California has physically collected this information, but other states have not? California knows this, but other states have not chosen to say so on a carcinogenic piece of highly-consumed merchandise?

I suppose my question is this: Why do you think that the label says that one particular state is certain of tobacco's cancer-causing potential?

[edit] There appears to be contradictions above. Take it or leave it.

2. California says that about almost all chemicals despite quantity, its a pretty stupid, pointless, and abused law.

3. yea i laugh everytime i see that. I'm like, "hey, we're not in california, so I think its safe!"