Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DivineVictoryX, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Really What happened to Obama Care yesterday?
    Should've been the decision of the states.
    Can You Rule the NDAA Unconstitutional now?
    WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 on Friday that it is legal for all Americans, no matter their gender or sexual orientation, to marry the people they love.
    The decision is a historic victory for gay rights activists who have fought for years in the lower courts. Thirty-seven states and the District of Columbia already recognize marriage equality. The remaining 13 states ban these unions, even as public support has reached record levels nationwide.
    The justices found that, under the 14th Amendment, states must issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples and recognize same-sex unions that have been legally performed in other states. Justice Anthony Kennedy delivered the majority opinion and was joined by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor. In a rare move, the four dissenting justices each wrote an opinion.
    The lead plaintiff in Obergefell v. Hodges is Ohio resident Jim Obergefell, who wanted to be listed as the surviving spouse on his husband's death certificate. In 2013, Obergefell married his partner of two decades, John Arthur, who suffered from ALS. Arthur passed away in October of that year, three months after the couple filed their lawsuit.
    Geez

2. #2 iAmBetty, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    Individuals rights> States rights> fed gov't

Gays should have been able to marry their partners the whole time

Was that the point of this thread? It's not entirely clear.

3. This is great..

one huge non issue that we don't have to hear about anymore..

maybe the republicans and democrats can start talking about the economy and foreign policy now.

I'm happy about the decision btw.. should never have been an issue at all.

4. The death of the family!

5. next supreme court 5-4 in favor of removing cannabis from schedule 1

6. I don't think that was the issue before the court. I think it was only about gay marriage. Plural marriages should be legal too and I don't know why they aren't but this ruling stopped short of totally sorting out the issue.

7. #7 iAmBetty, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    I think legalizing polygamy involves a lot more work than anyone wants to deal with. With gay marriage you can just alter some forms and all the usual benefits come with it to two people, no confusion over spouse 1, spouse 2, spouse 3, so on. Its not who you can marry, but how many you want to marry. Its a different question, and I'm sure its one fewer people care about.

If polygamy really is a religious thing then they could settle for their church weddings (or wherever) and leave the government out of it. Everyone else can stick with the two-person legal marriage.

Or they can just legalize polygamy. I don't care either way

8. Now the marriage equality issue is out of the way we gays can focus our evil powers towards legalizing weed. muaahahahahah!!!!

The fundamentalists are now going to lose their collective minds. Makes me giggle. I'm giggling right now. Like a school girl. A big ol' muscley school girl... with stubble.... and a penis....

9. Ha ha ha.... Scalia's dissent is becoming a meme, fabulous! ;)

10. Fred Phelp's head just exploded.

11. Huckabee and Santorum have just released clouds of conservative gas. A conservative line up is starting to form at the church pew!

12. Actually I'm sure his head decomposed. He's been dead for over a year. :p

13. #13 goober0331, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    It exploded in his grave.

Lol I didnt even know he died, I guess thats for the best.

14. But but but what about us non religious folks who love two people, where do we get married? Churches wouldn't marry two same sex people, do you really think they will marry three? How much trouble could adding another person to the paperwork be? All this time I supported gay marriage and you're telling me now that you've got yours, everyone else is own their own? So that's the way you roll.
    Government shouldn't even be in the business of marriage, civil unions would be their business. Tammi and Phoebe are going to be disappointed. They thought love was going to win and we'd live happily ever after, instead it was much to do about nothing. [​IMG]

15. #15 ImTheJoker4u2, Jun 27, 2015
    Can we focus on getting cannabis off schedule 1 now??

BTW - What government has to do with two or more consenting adults committing to each other IDK...

Im all for this but I have a problem with it too.
    Keeping gay marriage illegal is an inconvenience.
    Keeping weed illegal destroys lives.

But lets legalize gay marriage first, because thats so much more important....

16. [quote name="ImTheJoker4u2" post="21793641" timestamp="1435364141"]Can we focus on getting cannabis off schedule 1 now??[/quote]

No shit! Long overdue for that.

BTW - What government has to do with two or more consenting adults committing to each other IDK...
    [/quote]

It has to deal with the divorce issues and tax issues and legal records and property laws so i guess we made it the government's business. Maybe that's what needs fixed. Eliminate marriage from our taxes and laws and treat everyone exactly equal. Let churches deal with marriage if they want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. It has to deal with the divorce issues and tax issues and legal records and property laws so i guess we made it the government's business. Maybe that's what needs fixed. Eliminate marriage from our taxes and laws and treat everyone exactly equal. Let churches deal with marriage if they want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, now you got a point. Now that gays can marry they can do away with marriage for everyone. Make it a civil ceremony for legal purposes and call it a marriage and let the religions rename what they call unions made in the presence of God. Bam, everyone's happy. Or in the interest of fairness just let everyone marry who they love, in my case Tammi and Phoebe. (not to mention Fifi, our mutt)

18. This is wonderful news! 🏻🏻🏻

19. Mr Roberts's dissent was more restrained, akin to a resigned shake of the head. He cloaked his opinion in warm words for the gay rights activists he knew would cheer the court's action.

"Many people will rejoice at this decision, and I begrudge none their celebration," he writes. "But for those who believe in a government of laws, not of men, the majority's approach is deeply disheartening."

What does this even mean? Do laws write themselves?

20. #20 iAmBetty, Jun 27, 2015

I'm sure divorce lawyers would absolutely love polygamy in this country. People can barely stand being around one person the rest of their life [​IMG].

Hell, if there were an even number of partners in the family they could just pair off and get civil marriages for the benefits, and all be one big family in spirit. Extra wives can now marry each other in every state [​IMG]

Seriously though, I just don't care about it. I've heard people argue for it but I've never seen someone seriously upset that they couldn't married to five people at the same time. I don't see how banning polygamy harms anyone. You can have all the security you need married to one person.