Supreme Court Allows DMT use by Religious Group

Discussion in 'General' started by mr_mojorisin, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer Tue Feb 21, 3:13 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A small branch of a South American religious sect may use hallucinogenic tea as part of a ritual intended to connect with God, a unanimous Supreme Court ruled Tuesday.
    <table border=\"0\" cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\"><tbody><tr><td align=\"center\">
    <object classid=\"clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000\" codebase=\"http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0\" id=\"flash5clickTAG\" height=\"250\" width=\"300\"></object><noscript>[​IMG]</noscript> </td></tr></tbody></table><script type=\"text/javascript\"> if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write(\"<scr\" + \"ipt type=text/javascript src=\"\"http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.3.js></scr\" + \"ipt>\"); </script><script type=\"text/javascript\"> if (window.yzq_a) { yzq_a(\'p\', \'P=vRaalM6.I3pcFADSQ_Jg4hZURFDTikP7oBUAC5vC&T=1ao9f8psa%2fX%3d1140563989%2fE%3d83018560%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d2012004584%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJBbWVyaWNhbjtnb3Zlcm5tZW50O2RydWc7dHJpYWw7RnVuZDtXYXNoaW5ndG9uO3JldGlyZW1lbnQ7cmVmdXJsX3d3d195YWhvb19jb20iIHJlZnVybD0icmVmdXJsX3d3d195YWhvb19jb20iIHRvcGljcz0icmVmdXJsX3d3d195YWhvb19jb20i%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d5723BECE\'); yzq_a(\'a\', \'&U=1392s8lbs%2fN%3dPg.4Xs6.Isg-%2fC%3d388209.7735574.8591084.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3180653\'); } </script><noscript>[​IMG]</noscript>
    In its first religious freedom decision under Chief Justice John Roberts, the court said the government cannot hinder religious practices without proof of a \"compelling\" need to do so.
    \"This is a very important decision for minority religious freedom in this country,\" said lawyer John Boyd, who represents about 130 U.S. members of O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal who live in New Mexico, California and Colorado.
    The tea, which contains an illegal drug known as DMT, is considered sacred to members of the sect, which has a blend of Christian beliefs and South American traditions. Members believe they can understand God only by drinking the tea, which is consumed twice a month at four-hour ceremonies.
    A trial judge found the government\'s evidence that the drug is harmful was equal in weight to information provided by the sect that said its method of use in tea is not.
    Roberts, in writing the opinion for the court, said the government had failed to prove that federal drug laws should outweigh the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which Congress passed in 1993 to prohibit burdening a person\'s exercise of religion.
    The Bush administration had argued that the drug in the tea not only violates a federal narcotics law but a treaty in which the United States promised to block the importation of drugs including dimethyltryptamine, also known as DMT.
    Religious groups of various faiths, along with civil liberties organizations, filed friend-of-the-court briefs supporting the sect. \"This is just one step in the right direction in the fight for religious liberty,\" said Jared Leland, legal counsel for The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty in Washington.
    New Justice <form class=\"yqin\" action=\"http://yq.search.yahoo.com/search\" method=\"post\"> <input name=\"p\" value=\"\"Samuel Alito\"\" type=\"hidden\"> <input name=\"sourceOrder\" value=\"c1,i,yn,c3\" type=\"hidden\"> <input name=\"c1\" value=\"Samuel Alito
    \" type=\"hidden\"> <input name=\"c3\" value=\"SEARCH
    <a href=\"\"\"http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=%22Samuel+Alito%22&fr=yqovly1\">News</a> | News Photos | Images | Web
    \" type=\"hidden\"> </form> Samuel Alito did not take part in the case, which was argued last fall before Justice <form class=\"yqin\" action=\"http://yq.search.yahoo.com/search\" method=\"post\"> <input name=\"p\" value=\"\"Sandra Day O\'Connor\"\" type=\"hidden\"> <input name=\"sourceOrder\" value=\"c1,i,yn,c3\" type=\"hidden\"> <input name=\"c1\" value=\"Sandra Day O\'Connor
    \" type=\"hidden\"> <input name=\"c3\" value=\"SEARCH
    <a href=\"\"\"http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=%22Sandra+Day+O%27Connor%22&fr=yqovly1\">News</a> | News Photos | Images | Web
    \" type=\"hidden\"> </form> Sandra Day O\'Connor\'s retirement. Alito was on the bench for the first time on Tuesday.
    The justices sent the case back to a federal appeals court, which could consider more evidence.
    Roberts, writing his second opinion since joining the court, said that religious freedom cases can be difficult \"but Congress has determined that courts should strike sensible balances.\"
    The case is Gonzales v. O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao Do Vegetal, 04-1084.

2. Srsly, why does the govenment give fuck if a tiny group of people want to trip. *sigh*
    I guess its good it was allowed.

3. wow wtf, thats cool i guess... but why only the religious groups..? thats just stupid.. DMT is produced in your brain anyway and EVERYONE has tripped DMT before. ever had a dream when you were asleep? well thats basically a DMT trip.. so this drug being illegal is just pointless and proves how retarded the goverment actually is..

4. The government doesnt want people using DMT recreationally, so basically no inducing trips. A chemical very similar to LSD is also produced by our brain and does the same thing as LSD (exchanges messages between nerves).:smoking:

5. It\'s a giant step foreward in the war against the war on drugs?

Wow, talk about an oxymoron.

6. lmao! i was explaining to my grandmother rastifarism is a religion this morning.....and she showed me this article printed out like 3hours ago asking if this was what i was talking about:p

how can i obtain DMT? i read a book about tripping on it in study hall today, seems pretty cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.