SuperThrive and Feminized Seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Philly, Apr 14, 2011.

1. DO NOT DO IT!!!!

I have noticed more and more people are using a small bottle of hormone rich nutrient called SuperThrive. This stuff may be the best thing on earth for rooting clones but you should never ever use and hormone rich small bottle nutes on a feminized seed. Feminized seeds are already hermie prone and all carry a hermie trait that these small bottle nutes, which are very rich in hormones, can and will (most likely) bring out during flowering. So do yourselves a favor and dont risk it.

I used it on 3 Riot Seeds Grape Stompers and sure as hell all 3 hermied at week 6 of flower and they got so uncontrollable I had to chop early. The grow went great up to the hermie issue. No stress on these girls either. Perfect temps in the rezzy and air temps were great. I have no scientific proof but I wasgiven this info by a well known breeder (Matt Riot) and when a guy that does this for a living tells me something ... I listen.

I hope this info helps and if you wanna chat about it feel free to do so. You will get no argument from me on the issue. Like I said I am just going on info I received and after receiving this info my feminized Grape Stompers hermied right up so I am a believer.

Happy Growing!!!

2. I've used it on all my fem seeds w/ no hermies.

3. I was thinking of picking up a bottle but the stuffs expensive bro.

4. Really?? Thats interesting man... I used it only for the past year and a half and have had quite a few hermies. Not all but more than usual. Had only ever had 1 hermie in the previous 6 yrs of growing. At first I thought it was just something to do with the fact that i had started growing gear from another breeder and then I received this warning on my journal

so I contacted the breeder and he confirmed it. He said if you use any small bottle nute that is high in hormones you are asking for trouble.

5. Are you talking about using ST on seeds or plants? You shouldn't use it on seeds, feminized or not...

6. Ive never had any problems with it, and been using it for 3 years and not 1 hermie... Hmmm

7. I was told you should never use it on a feminized strain. Not just to pop the seeds but not at all.

BTW.... Stuff stinks to huh?? I use Floralicious Plus in my soup mixture and it smells pretty bad also. Another nasty smeller is Cal-Mag. Stinks like a dirty fart. Gross.

8. Is there a known reason that ST causes hermies in fem seeds? Or is it just a supported theory?
    The reason I'm wondering is I just got 3 WonderWoman clones from one of my bros that grows. WW is a femanized strain not just the seeds so is there still a chance for a hermie?

9. i used superthrive with my 4 plants from seed, all are feminized...i stopped using it once i hit week 2....about to start flowering in another week and a half so i guess ill find out if this is true or not pretty soon

10. I am (hopefully) growing 2 mothers, planted germinated seeds 9 days age. One is way ahead of each other, has about 6 leaves, but it seems soooo top heavy, still has spindly little stalk..also, is way ahead of the other little one, planted at the same time. At what point should i start feeding nutrients with water? I have them on 18/6 light cycle and trying to maintain humidity at around 65, temp 25c....sorry, such stupid basic questions but this is my FIRST shot at this, don't want to screw up right off the bat. Any/all advice is welcome!

11. Superthrive does nothing at all to seeds. I have used it EVERY grow, and it actually does not improve or decrease health in ANY plants.

IMO, I find it a waste of money, best no-one buys it as it's just a load of shit product like all the AN crap.

12. I used it more this last grow than usual and all 6 of my plants hermied at about week 6. Not going to chance it anymore.

13. I found seeds on all four of my plants after my first grow, only one of them had multiple seeds though, the other 3 just had 1-2....maybe rogue pollen from the main herm....I pulled out about 15-20 seeds from the plant, and it still yielded around 3oz.

I cant blame superthrive for this problem though, my growing conditions were horrible....temps and humidity were all over the place, temps as high as 103, humidity as high as 100%, temps as low as 54, on top of that I topped each of my plants and put them into flower like 3 days after....I think all that stress outweighs any possible effects superthrive could have made.

14. I never had a problem with Superthrive even when I used it in flowering but I dont use it in flowering anymore. I only use femenised seeds or clones.

15. It's more of a case of the grower being unskilled in keeping their plant/s free from stress... A product CANNOT MAKE HERMIE PLANTS. It's not biologically possible.

16. This is basically what I was trying to convey in my last post, its more user error than anything else. Or in my case, environmental issues I couldnt combat without spendings hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than I already had :rolleyes: