Supercomputers, nanotechnology, bioengineering, and biological immortality?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by SheenTheSage, Dec 21, 2011.

1. I am posting in the "Science and Nature" section not because I wish to discuss the ethical and social implications of future technology and science, but because I wish to discuss the possibilities of future technology and science.

No doubt, we have made great strides in science since the 1800s and 1900s, but these advances have been largely exploited for profits. Research institutions today are still churning out new inventions, but it is still true that most of them are exploited for money, and that subsequent inventions and improved workmanships are used less often than advertisement.

In any case, biology, computers, and circuitry will continue to advance exponentially, even under the control of the most illogical political leaders.

Some authorities say the singularity will occur within 15 years, and that we will have computers that outwit us within 30 years.

What do you gentlemen think about the future possibilities of science in these respects? What is the potential, and what is the time-frame?

2. I want to be immortal and Transhumanism is the only way in my opinion, after all, it is only inevitable. We will see, by mid century, humans that are not really humans. They will be enhanced biological machines. It is going to be a turning point in humanity. For good or bad, here it comes.

Better embrace it.

3. Some people think it's at least two to three centuries away. We will not see anything better than replacement organs and advanced prostheses, so they maintain.

4. I doubt it, that's too long for the way our technology and knowledge increases exponentially. 2050 seems like a turning point in my opinion.

5. Computers will keep advancing pretty fast under Moore's Law. Computers and supercomputers are the future. Pretty much known for a while though. It will happen in my lifetime.

6. Dunno bro, a few decades ago computers were as big as a fucking room... no one imagined we would be where we are now.
    Fuck...technology is growing exponentially, so radical changes are sure as hell to come..
    It's probably gonna be the type of trippy shit we think wont happen for a long ass time, nanocomputers, human-technology integration, maybe some I -Robot or Matrix type machine takeover shit :smoke:

this is, of course, assuming we dont fucking kill each other like dumbfucks.

7. We'll have more than just replacement parts. Nano robots that live in our blood won't be around for a while but drugs to extend the limits of human life will be available very soon and even are available already but aren't at all what's invisioned. And even then if you have enoug money you can get cryogenically frozen until this other tech comes around. We've already managed to successfully vitrify a rabbit kidney and then transplant it into another rabbit. Worked just fine.

With drugs and diet and exercise and thanks to my Ashkenazi genes I plan to be able to live to 110 no problem. Thats not including everything else mentioned tho so if I can be alive till 110 now then in 50 years that's 130 and by then there will be plenty of replacement parts available to keep me going.then even if all else fails cryogenics will do.

I don't think we'll all be hacked into machines or androids like a lot of people seem to think. There's too much humanity lost in it and that's what's been at the center of every disagreement and war throughout history. If we can manage to stay alive indefinitely through other means then that will be the option of choice for most.

8. ever heard of exponential growth? thats whats happening wtih technology.it will happen sooner than you think.

9. You're like that guy in the 1950's who kept saying, "We're totally gonna have flying cars by the year 2000. Nooooo doubt about it. Ayyyyyyy"

I still want my flying car. :(

Moore's law simply cannot sustain forever without serious changes in the way that we do computation. Sooner or later, we reach a very basic physical limitation, at the atomic level. From there, the only direction to go in is quantum computation, and that's still such a fledgling field that you'd be incredibly ill-advised to make any hard-and-fast predictions about it.

10. That's what is happening, but that doesn't mean that's what is going to happen forever...in fact, the chances of that are slim to none....and absolutely none on a long enough timeline...

11. haha, no man, we are undergoing a serious exponential growth in technology never seen before. If it took humanity 5000 years to accumulate 1 bag of knowledge, it only took 100 years to fill a second one, and 50 years for a third one and so on. We can only expect this trend to continue, and with it, our technology and knowledge. We have a very interesting future awaiting.

12. Think about this sentence for a second lmao. You are making (wholly uninformed) predictions about something we have "never seen before." Does that make much sense?

Well, see, there's this thing called physics and it doesn't always just stretch to fit the capacity of the human imagination. There is a real physical limit that we will reach with computation not too long from now. You can't just keep miniaturizing things forever without those things losing the essence of what makes them the things that they are, if that makes any sense.

Of course you could say, "Ehhhh, we'll figure it out by then." But that kind of misses the whole point of Moore's law. Moore's predictions describe the evolution of one very specific type of technology, and that type of technology has physical limits that will be reached not too long from now. I encourage you to read up more on what modern (respectable) physicists have to say about Moore's law. :smoke:

13. Isn't there a silicon crisis preventing us from advancing because silicon has a limit on how thin it can be before it's not able to conduct energy?

14. From what I've read, this can be surpassed using Hafnium instead of Silicon Dioxide....I have no idea what the price of Hafnium is though lmao....

Either way, "Though the technology of producing microchips is evolving at relatively high rates, there will be a point in which the minimization will no longer be feasible or practical. Scientists estimate that the mark would be around 16nm or 11nm."

The smallest that I've read about being at all "useful" in a practical application are 22nm (though I may be behind the times at this point) so we're not too far off.

15. I think all this nanotechnology, bioengineering and biotechnology stuff is a bad, BAD idea for humanity in general. Life is about living and dying, if you can't die, what's the point of life. I choose to embrace death, and when my time comes, I'll gladly except it, knowing of course, that I have been able to live my life to the fullest and the best that I could make of it.

However, with all this life prolonging technology, could come a new wave of disastrous consequences. What if nature builds up a tolerance for our genetically engineered foods? That's what's happening with Monsanto food I hear (in NZ so not really updated with U.S current affairs), but I heard somewhere that nature is developing stronger viruses and diseases that overcome genetically engineered foods, therefore biotech food companies make even more genetically engineered foods, then nature makes an even strroonnngeeerr counter. And in the end, nature will ALWAYS win. We might end up with something that destroys our whole food system.

100% safety can never be guaranteed in science. What if there's an accident with nanobots? and an outbreak of dangerous nanobots go around eating everything? plus, nanobots essentially are super tiny tiny computers, and computers always fuck up, someway or another. Would you be comfortable if you had these tiny nanobots in your brain and your bloodstream and they fucked up?

Plus, immortality brings in the whole class system. The rich will be able to live forever, while the poor die. Immortality could be a massive bargaining tool for the rich. i don't want some NWO one world government controlling every single part of my middle class life.

16. What? I meant the unprecedented exponential growth of our knowledge. We never had this explosion of knowledge before.

What claims am I making exactly? All I said was that by the middle of this century, we will see a lot of improvements, some in the way of human enhancement.

Okay... lol Where was this heading exactly?

17. #17 Meursault, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
    Yes....I understood what you were referring to. My point is that the very fact that it is unprecedented means that you have absolutely no ground on which to make predictions.

Prophesying a "turning point in humanity" is not a bold claim? What the fuck planet do you come from? If you mean simply that we will have machine parts in our bodies.....you'd be much better off dating your "turning point" at 1926, when the first pacemaker was invented...

Uhh....if you can't understand that post then honestly I see no point in discussing cutting-edge physics with you lmao.......

But yeah, we're all gonna be "transhumans" in 2050. Whatever you say sir. ;)

18. you should go watch the transcendent man by Ray Kurzweil, should help you to open your eyes to the world a bit.

19. Are you serious? Just because it doesn't exist, doesn't mean it won't ever. Ever heard of megatrends? Plus, a lot of what is coming is inevitable. Future technologies are around the corner.

I believe around that time we will have a lot of technology that would have seem impossible to us today. It could be the beginning of mass market human enhancement technology. I'm not saying it is written in stone either, but humans always want to make things better including themselves, so it is natural that we would develop this technologies.

It is not that I can't understand "cutting-edge" physics like you say but I was referring that what you said in that last part had nothing to do with what I was saying. I wasn't talking about making things smaller and smaller, or such. So your reply was basically pointless.

You'd think this is some weird technology heh? Well it is not that far fetched considering all we have done and all we will do in the future. Open up your mind man, read up on transhumanism and the technology it will use. Ypu seem to be scared of it, when in fact, you probably have many vaccines in your body helping your immune system fight off diseases. In a way, you are not what you were born as, and expect this trend to continue.