Supercloset secret society (s.s.s)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GRbudstar, Jul 13, 2011.

1. TDS has been constant. However, I think I need to buy a new TDS or EC reader.... if there is any water movement (IE bubbles from the airstone) there's huge fluctuations in numbers. If I get it into a relatively calm part of the water it will read consistent numbers.

This was literally like 10 bucks on Amazon and I did zero research before buying it - I just knew I'd need one lol...

• Like Like x 1
  2. If you have the cash, buy a Guardian Monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was hovering over "buy now" in Amazon's app last night. I really want it! Just wish I didn't have to learn about reading and interpreting EC, as I've been using PPM up to now.

But more importantly, I do "have the cash" but have also spent a fair amount. Ideally I wait for a little ROI to catch up before spending more big bucks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Woooooo Whoooooo for cocopops!

• Like Like x 1
  5. You can set the GM for ppms, ec, OR tds

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. #15566 Or_Gro, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Good, there are plenty of versions of that chart, i saw exact same one someehere, but with F instead of C

• Like Like x 2
  7. Re centigrade, it’s the same as celsius...the one typically used for extreme temps is Kelvin...

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. #15568 Or_Gro, Feb 20, 2019
    key point on these lights is the diode they use...current version of most hlg qbs is samsung 301b, the diff versions are about the number and spacing of diodes on a particular board...96elite is a lumiled diode, don’t remember exact model....

We’ll see what happens in my smackdown grow, but my current opinion is that you can’t go wrong with either type, AND, you can make yheir flowering spectrum better and almost identical by adding the appropriate supplemental reds...so choice comes down to other factors than ablitu to produce great yield and quality....

• Like Like x 1
  9. ya make me jelly..lol! i got the truncheon..luv it!

• Like Like x 3
  10. ya make me jelly..lol! i got the truncheon..luv it!

• Like Like x 2
  11. My hypothesis is the 288s w/ reds will slightly outperform the 96s for flowering. Will it be a big enough diff to justify having separate lights? Probably not - still interesting though!

• Like Like x 1
  12. The truncheons you have are awesome - and they work well with you having a few different reservoirs going at once. The bluelab is good for one res and ESPECIALLY good for me being a lazy S O B lol

• Like Like x 2
  13. #15573 Or_Gro, Feb 20, 2019
    Most likely:

Plants selectively sucking water vs nutes, leaving higher concentration of solution containing acidic nutes

RO water is not buffered well, small changes in pH are magnified

Oxygen being freed from h2o by bubbling action..,leaves excess h+ ions, which are the basis for acidity

Microbes

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I think it's either 1 or 3. I'm not using h2o2 beyond cleaning with it.

Microbes would have to be the GFF doing something. There's such a high concentration of that bacteria in there relative to when I was using HG, I'd be shocked if it was bad bacteria...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Guardian reads in either ec (the actual basis for all such meters, tds (500 unit scale, every 0.1 change in ec is 50 tds units), and calculated ppm (700 unit scale, every 0.1 change in ec is 70 ppm units)...

16. See edit for another common issue

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Why?

18. The guardians are also great for multiple separate buckets in same location..,i have one in each tent, bigass timesaver, for accurate and durable monitoring... especially when you adjust daily...

A product where paying for quality pays off...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I been having problems with drainage in my hydro system and have to increase my pH every day. Numbers drop to 4.5ish; I raise it to 6.2. I only use a small res. The EC doesn't change. I've switched to using tap water, so this can affect the EC and give me false numbers, but it helps to buffer the pH back up. You may want to consider adding a buffering agent (CaCO3 or similar).

• Like Like x 2
  20. #15580 Steakbomb, Feb 20, 2019
    3500k (ish) for 96s vs 3000k (ish) for 288s. The 288s are slightly more red slanted (esp w 18s or 35s) and I suspect that will be better for bloom.
    Like any good scientist I am waiting on evidence and will adjust my thinking if my hypothesis proves wrong haha