Supercloset secret society (s.s.s)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GRbudstar, Jul 13, 2011.

1. #10481 Or_Gro, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Just like with soil; res size controls root size, root size controls plant size.

Fyi, standard round plastic buckets (5,6,7 gal) have same top and bottom diameter, as volume increases, ht increases.

2. So out of the blue I have some pretty significant "canoeing" on the leaves of a couple of my outdoor plants. I know the most common cause is heat stress, from either being too close to the lights or the overall temp being too hot. That is just not possible here, as the temperature has not gone over 72 degrees since they were planted. I water them every few days (and the soil is fairly dry by then), 2 gallons split among 8 plants so about a liter each (seems just right as I get a bit of run off). The PPM is 380 (net of 310 as the water is 70) and the pH is 6.2 on the dot. Have not checked the pH of the soil in a couple of weeks but it was at 6.0 last time I checked.

Canoeing.jpg

3. Combo of at least 2: Sunny, Low RH, Breezy?

4. It has been very breezy here, I live only 2 blocks from the ocean and we get our fair share of wind! All of my outdoor plants get staked quite early on, and when the winds get bad (over 25 mph) I take them inside the garage at night. The humidity is right around 45% so not really low, and while its been sunny it has not been hot and the sunshine is more hazy that super bright.

If indeed its the wind then it should resolve soon, but the area I live in does get breezier than most. Other than the upturned leaves the plants are very healthy......

5. #10485 Or_Gro, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    The parts of your plants that you can see are basically carbomaking photo-receptor pumps.. When the sunlight (even if diffuse) hits the photoreceptor, energy is converted into work. Sunny days, even w/o heat can work plants to verge of stress.

As the wind kicks up, rate of evap at stomates increases, eventually so stressed that stomates close (think: radiator hose just got plugged).

I would put 45% as near the high-end of “low humidity” (for plants; tomatoes can wilt below 45%).

They probably needed a drink...and a break

6. #10486 Or_Gro, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Love this grow cycle, only two plants per space is working just fine. Getting my plant frame, light, and canopy mgt down! Cant wait to see how this works out.

Cindys:
    FF5108D8-8FF6-4980-AA36-C30FF0D313C7.jpeg

Widows:
    9A80805A-87A1-4170-8DDC-7FCC136EBC95.jpeg

All gettin their swirl on

7. The Cindy's look like they are just about ready for a defoliation, when was the last one done? The Widows have massive pistil formations that I have absolutely no doubt are going to evolve into monster colas, I have said for some time now this is going to be your best grow yet!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah I knew that with increased wind comes increased evaporation from the leaves, but it is often windy around here and I don't recall seeing this much of a reaction with my last couple of grows. Of course these are different strains, but still the extent of the canoeing surprised me. I was watering them more often (every other day) because based on the "one knuckle test" the soil felt dry, but they started showing some signs of over watering so I cut back to every third day and the signs went away. So, not sure if its time to increase the watering again and see if they need it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. CF outdr plnts use lots of wtr..a surprising amount..my plnts get three wtrngs a day 1.5-2gals ea time..i use a lot of perilite so they don't drown..wit heat daily reaching 100plus comin off the deck..i'd wtr your plnts more often imo

• Like Like x 1
  10. Believe it or not, the one on the right has had all fan leaves (except 2or3 at bud tips) removed today, before pic! You are looking at 50-60 separate tips (probably 1-2x just below top layer) not yet fully pistil’d out.

Left one was done a couple days ago.

I’m hesitant to do more than selective removal until they reach equiv of wk 3 end. They have had 3 major defols already.

Very bushy girls...

11. Yep, soil structure has major impact

12. ya i nd to do defo too..this will be the fourth and last i hope..this strain is very leafy not like the orginal strain

• Like Like x 1
  13. #10493 Or_Gro, Jun 13, 2018
    For reference: Those white caps on the res lids are 1.25” OD.

14. #10494 CFTheNatural, Jun 13, 2018
    You may pull up to an ounce per cola at harvest time! I am still laughing at that clown on the other forum saying this entire plant would only yield around 2 ounces.......

• Like Like x 1
  15. For sure if they were defoliated that recently then you should wait. They look like its been a couple of weeks for sure.......

• Like Like x 1
  16. I took a longer more detailed RH reading around my plants today, and it was more like 36% so its definitely low. Obviously I can't change the humidity of the air in my backyard or put a humidifier out there, do you think misting the leaves with some water a couple of times a day would help a bit to combat the low humidity? If not, any other thoughts?

17. Ounce per main is target, beyond that would be gravy. I woulda liked long wide cola’s, but the widows, at least, won’t give the height, so had to go for lots of lateral tips. (My experience, cubic inch of bud ~3g). We’ll see.

18. At that rh, reasonable misting shouldn’t hurt, but doc would be better source. A little shade 3-5p might help, as well.

19. twice a day i wtr under and around my jugs and the side of the jugs wit a hose..that helps and my crew gets wheeled into the shade daily at 2pm..out again at 5am..i'm flwrng so only 6 hrs direct sun needed..think air temp was around 100 deck surface at least 141 today...i do mist my plnts but only when they first get whl'd out..to mist during high sun will burn your plnts..droplets on leaves will act like a magnifying glass burn them right up..indr you can spray anytime under leds but not HIDs

20. #10500 Or_Gro, Jun 13, 2018
    You’re right about droplets and sun, i forgot that part, same thing happens under my lights.

When they get too leafy, condensation occurs on top of leaf covered by another; if the wet one gets exposed without getting wiped it burns.

Sorry. shoulda mentioned that. Glad you caught it.

• Agree Agree x 1