Supercloset secret society (s.s.s)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GRbudstar, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Found an EcoPlus Supreme 2-port (71 GPH, 270 LPH) air pump on eBay for $13 out the door (no sales tax, free shipping) so I bought it. That will definitely fully power two 12" air diffusers from 6 inches away and the price is so low (saw it for up to $32 on other sites) its a no brainer!

2. think you're gonna be disappointed with that pump..those eco's just don't last..better to chk into a pondmaster..they are pricy but the real thing with lots of muscel..and dead silent which is a biggie for me

• Like Like x 1
  3. #10143 CFTheNatural, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    There are definitely better, but my single reservoir is less than 3 gallons, so its just a complete waste to buy a really powerful $150 pump for such a small set-up (be like sticking a turbocharged 400 hp engine into a Hyundai). Even the smallest Pondmaster (AP-20 at $105) can handle up to 2,500 gallon set-ups, I am going to put that on my 3 gallon reservoir with two air diffusers??? I have been scoping out my house for possible room, and if I like indoor hydroponic growing vs the outdoor growing I have been doing I can just fit a 4' x 4' grow tent in the corner of my office (other side of the room from where my cabinet sits). That will nicely hold 4 large plants (each getting a 2' x 2' space) plus 2 plants in my cabinet puts me at the legal limit in my state of 6 plants (and WAY more product than I use). When I set that up I will get a high-end commercial air pump like a Pondmaster, but on my small cabinet its just overkill. If the EcoPlus Supreme dies after awhile that is fine, it was only $13 after all.......

4. I may have to investigate the pondmasters if/when I get a tent. I have a General Hydroponics pump on my cab now that works really well, is pretty quiet, and has four ports. Was about $60 but is great with my big stones. Also has replace-able parts should a diaphragm fail or something.

My eco plus ones still work pretty well though - no failures. Just not enough power to get the 6" dome stones going full blast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. i like how the connection nipple comes out the top not the side..i wasted my money on a ''weighted'' air stone with nipple on the side..it wanted to stnd on its side defeating the placement..let us know how it wrks..its kinda pricy for the short life the stones hv imo

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've been using these for about a year w/o issue. They get a little gunky after a full grow cycle, but clean up pretty easy w/ some H2O2 and a light brushing. I suspect they should last at least a few years with proper care.

I bought these because the flat ones seem to like to move around - these stay put unless you're tilting your res or something.

I think the only (minor) annoyance is since the air tube comes out the top, the tube gets stuck in the root ball eventually.

7. no matter what stone i use mine get get stuck too

• Like Like x 1
  8. My cabinet has what they call the "Superponics" system, which is a combination of DWC and Top Feed. The water pump goes on for 15 minutes four times a day and top feeds the plants while the DWC is always on, the idea is supposedly that if one system is not quite getting it done the other one does. Not sure if this is just a marketing gimic, helps the beginner who does not monitor his reservoir & air system well, or really is just overkill that adds little to your plants growth.
    If you have a strong well monitored DWC (and I have upgraded my pump & added good air diffusers) is the top feed really going to give you any noticeable benefit? I'm trying to decide if I should run the top feed system, or save myself potential hassle & power by disconnecting the water pump and just going with my upgraded DWC?

9. at the strt you need it but once the roots hit the soup you don't nd it..certainly not 4 times a day i do use a baster to moisten the cups while indrs at lites on and give them a spritz..i don't do it when they go outdrs by then they hv tuff'n up

• Like Like x 1
  10. Agree w/ doc - it helps before the roots escape the net cups but once they're in the water it's not adding anything. I took the top feed out of my res and covered the holes w/ white duct tape.

Honestly you could remove it now and do the top feed manually with a turkey baster once or twice a day until you have rooting.

Edit - realized after reading the *rest* of docs post that he literally said exactly the same. I must have stole that from him in the first place!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. these hv been gettin the baster frm day 1 of being tp'd to cups 000_7558.JPG 000_7508.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  12. CF I also suspect with the size net cups you're using the roots should escape pretty quick - especially if you're running that root66 blend.

13. #10156 Or_Gro, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    As i said earlier, it’s a gmmic. I’ll go further than doc & steak, there is no need for it at all, not even between transplant and roots hitting water. I never used it, took it out after my first grow, designed it out of my buckets.

If you have a good enuf airstone and have your water level 1/2” below cup, and you’re using RRs, the net cup will be wet enuff, may even be better environment for new root.

Give em 20-30 mLs water if they look like they need a drink.

14. #10158 Or_Gro, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    A few pages back we talked about differences in growth rates indoor vs outdoor.

The following pics are of original C99 clones, all rooted the same time, all pics taken today.

Indoor: topped may 8 for 8 mains/plant
    1B2C6DFC-CB0E-434F-B84E-993AC91D7D6A.jpeg

Outdoor: before topping today for 8 mains/plant
    FC062EFD-2D4B-4BE9-9371-5FB3C545CF42.jpeg

15. Outdoor C99 topping for 8 mains.

Before bends
    CB11F497-89E3-4431-AF4D-3054672CA25B.jpeg

After bends
    A980D101-6C22-4548-8F7B-7D33C76F8C83.jpeg

After topping
    FC483DFF-8696-4C51-A639-DC343BB44040.jpeg

16. my outdr soil screen this morn..only bends..3 plnts 000_7568.JPG wit S hooks

• Like Like x 1