Supercloset secret society (s.s.s)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by GRbudstar, Jul 13, 2011.

1. finding the right place to put germing dish is tricky usually what i want to use takes no more than 3 days to germ..longer than that its probally not gonna happen

• Like Like x 1
  2. I agree, but when you google it you get a huge variation in answers and people divided right down the middle between using light from the get go and not using light until the seeds sprouts. Just surprising to me that there is such disagreement..........

3. I do the same, but do you put the RR's under light while waiting for the plants to push out?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep. Although I don't use a heat mat so its partially helping with warmth in addition to giving light once they break the surface. Plugging the hole definitely does a good enough job blocking light for the seed to get going.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blocking light doesn’t do didley, preventing seed from drying out does wonders.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It’s what happens when people make shit up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Light doesn’t matter until roots pop (they don’t like it) and leaves pop (they love it).

• Like Like x 1
  8. OK, a final question. Once the seed sprouts but is not ready to be transplanted yet, do you guys use a small fan to start the air circulation going? I have a very small fan that can blow some air just above the top of the sprouts, should I use it? I know air circulation is super important once the plants get into the grow room, but how about right before that?

9. The initial tap root is probably why you want to at least plug the hole, no? Kinda wondered if the open hole into the 3rd rockwool cube is why that one germinated then failed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10110 Steakbomb, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    I like gentle air circ early. So long as you aren't completely drying out your rooters, it's probably beneficial. Getting breezed around will help strengthen the stems (and later the branches).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tap root is signaled by gravity not light.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #10112 Or_Gro, May 14, 2018
    For indoor growing, I wouldn’t blow on them until you have 5-6 nodes established. But, especially not before they hit the res. Blowin them only risks damaging them, by drying them out or stressing them, absolutely no benefit.

Let them have a couple weeks as the newborns they are.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Right but you said yourself roots don't like light. On the off-chance the seed cracks in such a way that the tap root is initially exposed to light before it orients itself properly, I feel like plugging the hole is good insurance.

• Like Like x 2
  14. #10114 Or_Gro, May 14, 2018
    If the rr hole is so big that light can get in, the plug won’t hurt.

I usually turn my rr’s flatside (top) down, slit the top 1/4-1/2 inch deep, push in my seed, slap on the dome and wait for cotyledon/tap root. If the slit doesn't close tightly, i plug it, mainly to preserve humidity.

Roots have evolved without light, so they don’t use it. So why expose them, when the light will dramatically increase bad microbe populations in nute soup? But the little received by new seedlings does nada,

15. I usually turn my rr’s flatside (top) down, slit the top 1/4-1/2 inch deep, push in my seed, slap on the dome and wait for cotyledon/tap root. If the slit doesn't close tightly, i plug it, mainly to preserve humidity.

I have read about others using this method, the RR sits more stable with the large portion at the bottom and apparently does it's job just as well. I think next time I will try that.

My cabinet has 8 pots and I will only be using 2 or 3 of them for plants. Will the 200 watt CFL shine through the 5 empty pots and negatively affect the roots of the plants in the other 3 pots, since roots do not like light? If so, what would I need to do to effectively block light in the 5 unused pots?

• Like Like x 1
  16. You can either get neoprene net cup covers, or just cover the tops of the pots with aluminum foil

• Like Like x 2
  17. Just bought the neoprene covers (25 of them) on Amazon for less than $15, thanks!!

• Like Like x 3
  18. I f*ing love amazon. Growers' best friend!

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. #10120 Or_Gro, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    White Widows: Close to 12”, 12:12 by end of week.

D41558E2-E0AD-41FD-B953-60B69BE71174.jpeg
    C43ED33E-5544-4AC0-8A33-62F9D2EED7D2.jpeg

Left plant undercarriage:
    B3B6DEE2-D039-40E7-8F00-C2DEA99BDA58.jpeg

Right plant undercarriage:
    43253412-6E1F-41CA-8A8B-18304984222D.jpeg

Mains staying even without any tying, gonna hold off on tomato cages for as long as possible.

• Like Like x 2