Super coco questions.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Smokexbreak, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Medium
    Coco coir
    Perlite
    Gaia green dry organic nutes (veg/flower)

I was looking at my seedlings that were in straight coco and they were beginning to lose their greeness so I decided to transplant into my amended coco.

I let my coco cook for about 3 weeks when I opened it it had a nice top layer of mold so I know it's alive and kicking.

I sprouted 9 GSC in straight coco and transplanted 5 into 3 gallon and in the middle of it I realized my soil was still very damp. So now I have seedlings in pots that are way too big am I screwed here? Should I try and re transplant? Or should I just leave it alone until it's light enough to water again?

Two of the other ones I put into 1 gallon pots and the last 2 I'm running in straight coco with remo nutes. I'll have a journal up prettt soon. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Hey smokexbreak,

I like to start seeds/seedlings as follows for container size:
    7-10 days -16oz solo cup
    7-10 days - 4 inch pot
    7-10 days - 1 gallon pot
    7-10 days - 2.5-3.0 gallon pot
    Then either flip lighting to flower, or transpalnt up one more time, into your final size container.
    If transplanting this one last time, I recommend letting the plant/s root another 1.5-2.0 weeks, before flipping to flowering.

Hope that helps.

Congratulations on the babies!

3. Thank you! Am I going to be okay with the 3 gallons they're in now if I'm careful on the watering? It was already damp my fear is it's too much medium with too much water for such a small plant which in soil has caused over watering symptoms. Do you think that will happen here?

4. You bet :)

How long have they been in those big pots?
    If not more than a cpl/few days, you could certainly remove them and re-transplant them back into something smaller and more manageable between waterings. It would be like surgery, but it wouldn't take more than a few minutes each and wouldn't be a big deal. Obviously, you would want to be very, very careful as to not disturb or break the 'tap root'.

I have heard of others germinating and starting seedlings in big pots like yours, with success. I have never done it. I too would be concerned with over-watering and leaving soil 'saturated' for too long. When you have soil/medium that is 'soaked' for days, there is a lacking of oxygen in the medium. This too can lead to unhealthy plants.

I will be following along.

5. I literally transplanted them tonight. I'm afraid to disturb them. idk what to do I'm gonna sleep on it and see what they look like tomorrow.

6. No problem with sleeping on it, but if you just transplanted tonight, you will want to re-pot them asap.
    Super easy to do at this point, because the roots havent even had time to explore the bigger pots medium.
    Easy as pie!
    If I were you, I'd do it now.

peace~

7. If you are careful it will be ok IMO.
    The main challenge with small plants in big pots is that it’s hard to gage when they need watering IF you only goby looking at the soil, which will tend to look drier faster then it actually is because the top layer dries up but the little amount of moisture deeper is enough to sustain the plants. Watch the seedlings and water when they look like they need it, not when the top layer is dry. At this stage they shouldn’t need to be watered more then once every two or three days (or even more depending on temps and humidity). When in doubt wait another day. FYI, plants can handle going into wilt mode for a few hours so it’s always better to error on the dry side then to overwater. Also, when you water just apply a small amount around the seedlings and not the whole soil area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Awesome thank you!! You've helped lower my anxiety level.

• Like Like x 1
  9. He’s in coco which can be tricky with small plants in big pots. I think with enough added aeration and the addition of the granular amendments, he may be ok if he can keep the moisture consistent. I would repot to one gallon pots if it were me, but my coco is inert so I have to feed daily.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah coco may be a bit tricker since it dries out faster but with a close eye it can be managed. Also don’t forget he has seedlings and they won’t need nutrients until at least fourth set of true leaves.

11. Not in coco, they need fed daily. Not sure how the amendments will affect this though.

These are a week old in Tupur. 30 ml of 1/4 strength nutes twice daily. Two starting their third node this morning

8D26BCE7-6C4C-4ECD-A645-C79A048B3C97.jpeg

12. I respectfully disagree, why would they need nutrients at seedling stage in coco if they wouldn’t need it in any other medium?

13. Coco is inert. It’s different than soil. We provide all necessary nutrients to our plants, and I do it 2-3 times a day

14. My point is that seedlings carry enough nutrients in their cotyledon so nutrients are not needed until they are a couple of weeks old, this includes any medium including inert ones like coco, perlite, peat or even plain ol rock wool.

15. “The cotyledon encourages leaf growth in a plant's early stages of life. These leaves are important because they serve as the chief way for plants to get the nutrients they need to continue growing and thriving. When cotyledons become new green leaves, the cotyledons raise over ground level. In another process that involves plants such as peas, however, cotyledons remain underground and solely serve the function of a food source.

Cotyledons transmit the food stored in the embryo to new sprouting plants. Plants such as beans and peas -- which are dicotyldons -- have thick cotyledons that drew nutrients from the seeds prior to sprouting. Meanwhile, grass -- an example of a monocotyledonous -- has a single thin cotyledon that absorbs nutrients from the seeds as they are sprouting.”

Source:
    What Is the Function of the Cotyledon in the Seed? | Hunker

• Like Like x 1
  16. Unfortunately no, that’s not the case in coco. They’ll shrivel up and die pretty quickly. Might get a few days without nutes but that’s it. I help new growers with coco daily. Many feed with water only thinking the same thing, that cotyledons will carry them. They’re seedlings don’t grow. We feed light nutrients, often, and get fast growth. My Grandaddy Blacks are already popping 3rd set of leaves at 7 days old

• Like Like x 1
  17. I see, well you have more experience with coco then I do so I’ll take your word for it.

• Like Like x 1