sunshine/promix organic?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Boggieman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I use fox farm happy frog with some added perlite for my outdoor grows, HF is thick and can compact over time. I want to add a peat based meium to the mix to lighten the soil and hopefully avoid compaction of the soil.

2 products that have my eye is sunshine aggavated mix#4, and pro mix bx. I plan on using about 50% fappy frog, 25$ peat base(with added ammendments bat guano, kelp, ewc), and 25%perlite to lighen up my soil and avoid compaction (i grow in 30gal smart pots outdoors)

Im not sure which one if any is organic? I have read that they both add wetting agents and macro-micro nutrients that are not organic. Will adding either of these peat based products to lighten up my happy frog up kill the beneficial bacteria and fungi in my soil?

2. Boggieman

Sun Gro Horticulture (Sunshine Mixes, Black Gold, et al.) revamped their entire professional and consumer lines last fall so some of this information may not be current as of today but most of it still applies.

Sunshine Mixes (#1 thru #4) are now available in organic forms. The wetting agent on the organic lines is simply dried Yucca extract. In addition to the Organic Sunshine Mixes, they have 2 organic mixes that have been available for several years - Sunshine Organic Growers Mix and their Sunshine Organic Seedling Mix

The only difference between the Growers Mix vs. Seedling Mix is the size of the aeration amendments used in these mixes (1/8") - which consists of equal amounts of perlite, pumice and vermiculite.

The breakdown on these 2 mixes is 40% organic coir, 30% organic Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss and 10% each of pumice, perlite and vermiculite. Again the wetting agent used is powdered Yucca.

I used these mixes for 4+ years and would use them again. For me personally I'm not all that impressed with the re-formulated Sunshine Mixes (#1 thru #4) in the organic forms.

YMMV

LD