Sunlight VS light bulb

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by AH020387, Apr 10, 2012.

1. A Jamaican guy told me that, ses weed, or outdoor weed, is much healthier since it grows under the sun's lihgt as opposed to hydro which grows under light bulbs. He said the plant does not get all the nutrients it needs from light bulbs and that hydro is hazardous to our health.

Is this all true? Please don't just say "no/yes", please also explain/elaborate...

Tank you:)

2. #2 the_tokerman, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
    Light, natural or artificial, contains NO nutrients. Light isn't even technically a THING; it's merely photons. As long as enough photons reach the plant for it to perform photosynthesis properly, you're golden.
    Again:, photons, are photons, are photons, are photons, etc

Nutrients come from the soil/medium you're growing in. No "health" difference between hydro (or indoors, which is the proper term for growing indoors; as hydro refers to the METHOD, not the "place") and outdoors.
    Quality difference: YES, indoors will be better (more potent, denser) by far. Which is not to say you can't grow a mean mean plant outdoors, just WAY more likely to happen inside!

I really think this qualifies under the "highest thing I've ever heard".... "Naaah myaaan, the sun gives our plants nutrients...and shit" Hahahahaha!

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

Edit: Colon added

3. yea sounds like that dude that told u that smoke to much

4. There have been a wide variety of nutes pulled off the shelves for product mislabeling, some of which contain known carcinogens, so yes, indoor can sometimes be bad, but that same shit could be poured outside to. It has nothing to do with the lights.

5. I'm pretty sure there is some truth to what the guy was saying.

I saw this quote in a user's signature which was pretty interesting and made me want to read more about this ( which is how found this thread):

Why we all should be growing outdoors: "... it is scientifically proven the best marijuana is grown under the sun. There is no indoor light that can replicate the sun light, the range of cannabinoids and terpene that can develope in the marijuana resin thanks to the sunlight is never achievable on a indoor setting ..."

This makes some sense to me, I can't imagine grow lights to be able to provide everything the Sun can, but I don't know. THC production isn't everything...

It's also interesting when you think about how humans can synthesise vitamin D when skin is exposed to sunlight...

IIRC cannabis produces trichomes to protect itself from uv rays, so maybe there is direct relationship between what the plant produces and the type / quality of light it receives.

Would be interesting to hear if there are any smokers that feel any difference or not in the high from each.

6. Sounds like a load of hippy bullshit to me :cool:

7. If you don't already have your own opinions on this subject, you should spend more time with your plants, indoor and out, and less time posting. Seriously, I'm looking at pure conjecture and no harvest. Get to the part where the buds go into the jars, then think about it some more.

8. [quote name='"rokit"']I'm pretty sure there is some truth to what the guy was saying.

I saw this quote in a user's signature which was pretty interesting and made me want to read more about this ( which is how found this thread):

Why we all should be growing outdoors: "... it is scientifically proven the best marijuana is grown under the sun. There is no indoor light that can replicate the sun light, the range of cannabinoids and terpene that can develope in the marijuana resin thanks to the sunlight is never achievable on a indoor setting ..."

This makes some sense to me, I can't imagine grow lights to be able to provide everything the Sun can, but I don't know. THC production isn't everything...

It's also interesting when you think about how humans can synthesise vitamin D when skin is exposed to sunlight...

IIRC cannabis produces trichomes to protect itself from uv rays, so maybe there is direct relationship between what the plant produces and the type / quality of light it receives.

Would be interesting to hear if there are any smokers that feel any difference or not in the high from each.[/quote]

No one said that indoors was a better light spectrum, simply that you can control all the factors indoors.
    Yes, the sun will always be better than any HPS, but that's like comparing apples to... Gigantic masses of burning hydrogen...
    You'll never be able to replicate the intensity and spectrum of our sun, but again, indoors you control everything; and I for one, know that I can consistently grow better mess indoors than outdoors, however, if all goes right outside, you may luck out into that "perfect harvest" once or twice.

As for the whole vitamin D thing, that's a photosynthetic reaction, which is what the plant needs; if HID lighting didn't work for photosynthesis, nothing would ever grow inside... Different organisms have different processes and needs, and in the case of plants, they're relatively simple ones.

As for resin production: it is a natural mechanism of the plant that accomplishes a variety of functions; the first of which is to attract pollen, the second of which is to prevent moisture loss (drier grows produce more resin), and it also serves as protection from predators, among others (including UV protection to some degree).

Good Growing and Happy Toking!