Sunlight vs Fluorescent light

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by FenixInferno, May 2, 2009.

1. Alright, I'm a brand new grower and I've been dealing with everything by myself, using guides I've read online to get me through so far to this step. So far I've already germinated my seeds until they've sprouted about a half inch and placed it 2 or 3 inches down into the soil and sprinkled it over the top, blah, blah. Whatever. Nothing is really wrong, it hasn't sprouted up out of the soil yet and right now I'm currently keeping the pot I'm growing it in underneath my bed and with no plastic over the top of it simply because I don't have any. I water it a few times daily and stick my finger into the soil to check if it's dry underneath. Anyways, I guess the reason for this post is my primary concern that I don't have any florescent lightbulbs or heating lamps in my household... So I'm just gonna probably try and grow it out on my window ledge in front of the sun until it gets large enough and then I'll simply have to find a better place. What I'm wondering is that if I don't use florescent lights or heating lamps, is it alright if I just use good ole beautiful sunlight to make my little baby grow into a fat bush will it be enough?

2. #2 toastybiz, May 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
    If by "sunlight" you mean just the amount of light you can get from placing the plant on an indoor window sill, then no. Place it outside where it can get a solid 12+ hours of unfiltered direct sunlight a day, that's a different story.

P.S. Why is it under your bed?

3. So go and BUY some fluoros. Forget ' heating lamps', whatever you mean by that.

4. I'm a hippy, man. Come on. :p If there's a way to grow weed in your own home without paying a single dollar, then I'll do it. xD

Alright, thanks for the reply. So even if I did decide to move the plant outside to get the proper amount of sunlight, how long should I wait until I move it outside? After it sporuts up out of the soil?

5. There isn't a way to grow weed in your own home without having to pay for anything. Indoors you need lights, timers, ventilation, soil, pots, nutes, odor control, temp control, pH control, RH control, light-leak control, and more.

And why again is it under your bed? Seems an odd place to keep a pot.

6. Well, that's the problem. I don't really have the pleasure of privacy in the home I live in. The house is currently filled with 7 occupants. Two of which are extreme hypocrites. They'll smoke but if they see someone else besides them smoking they blow their top. So a well-hidden place is a must for me. Underneath my bed was just the most private place I could find to keep it without it being seen.

7. Yo. My seeds are finished germinating and the one I have planted in the pot with the soil is under my bed. Should I keep the pot under my bed until the seed actually sprouts up out of the soil or should I give it as much light as possible right now?

8. Let me take a wild guess -- the two hypocrites are your parents?

In any event, not good to grow with anyone in the house who disapproves. Growing MJ involves noises, smells, and strange activities, you will be noticed.

9. Yar. I used to live with a roomie and his girlfriend which were cool about it but you know how life can treat ya sometimes... Shit between me and my roomie has just been bad and I evantually just moved out and back with my parents for the time being. So...yeah.

10. LOL.. Thats understandable. If its so important to smoke and have it at hand(also, understandable), and you dont want to just deal with the ease and quickness of just purchasing it from someone(If ur a hippie i would hope you know some fellow hippies that smoke, or know some more fellow hippies... ) Than JUST GO OUT TO A BEAUTIFUL LANDSCAPE IN RURAL [wherever tha fuk u live] and plant a few plants in the mountains/woods/forrest/etc. where it will get enough light and water.. <-- that can cause a problem to, having to drive a long time just to water it..? I've never done this but I see it would probably be a big hassle. But it is an option that can potentially yield ya some smokage:smoking:. If ur willing to spend at least some money.

yo good luck :wave:

11. Hey, man. Thanks for the needed advice. :) I've actually already tried with the trying to get my fellow hippies to help me out but we just laugh about it and then go off and smoke. Heh. The current area I'm living in right now is USA, country-wise and I live in central Indiana near the city. The summers and springs here are nice and long and it can get well up to ABOVE 90 degrees like it did last summer. So, I know I have the conditions to go out and grow my own if I wanted. The problem is, I'd most likely have to plant it somewhere private where no one would know. I can't just take it outside the house either. I have neighbors on either side of us AND neighbors across the street. I live in a housing complex so that makes it more difficult too.

12. If you were reading the guides you would know that 3 inches is too deep to plant a seed - sprouted or not. Heat lamp or any incandescent is a no no.

There are computer case grows all over this forum. It will get you through till you can find a nice corn field ( that the farmer doesn't use herbicides or pesticides in ) to put your plants in. Or any other suitable place.

Good luck and I have my fingers crossed for ya. :)

13. Thanks again, man for the advice. Much appreciated. I guess I'm just going to have a remote private area to keep my baby in. Best for it, I suppose. I'll see what I can do and thanks for the luck, I'm sure I'll need it.