sun system 150w growers?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by organic riffs, Feb 28, 2010.

1. I came across a good deal on a sun system 150w hps ballast/light. I know most people would recommend the 250 at least but, this is only for two plants. It should be more than enough for me to enjoy myself and learn the art slowly. I was wondering if anyone else here has used this setup? If so tell me some details! Also, I heard i can put a 150 watt MH in the ballast too. Can anyone give me some more info on this? Thanks for any info you guys have! Cant wait to get things started! Ill have a nice grow journal going too...

2. #2 dragonsfire1988, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010

I've got that setup.

I don't believe you can install a MH bulb into it, as it's meant solely for HPS, but you'll have to double check the directions - you could have a different model than mine. But, unless the box or the machine itself mentions a MH bulb, you'll probably have to stick with the HPS. It would be dangerous to experiment with the bulbs if you are unsure...maybe even contact the manufacturer to be sure.

Being that it houses the ballast as well as the bulb, the whole thing gets pretty damn hot. If you are using a small box, you'll have to gather some good exhaust/intake fans to compensate for the heat. Mostly, you must be sure to keep the light about 6" from the canopy, and also maintain a steady flow of air above the canopy to diminish any chance of burning.

Along with that, since it has the ballast attached, it makes a lot of noise...it litterally hums/vibrates the whole box, and it can be heard rather distinctly when it turns on.

It's a good investment for a small grow, and should support two small plants sufficiently. The main thing you'll have to worry about is the heat, but good venilation can take care of that.

Oh, if you do end up with the same model as myself, you'll find that there is a "vent" in the hood on the bulb-end of the whole thing...it'll probably be a good idea to position an exhaust fan directly in front of or near this "vent" so you can get rid of that hot air immediately.

3. hey check out my grow i did it will a 150 hps and 6 clfls. if its the sun system all in one. it does not have a big coverage area i would one do it with one plant. trust me. and you wiill have to make like a box of something like a 2x2x4 or x6 box to help the light. paint the walls white. because those 150 are not the strong but they do work. but u should do everthing to keep that light u do have. good luck man

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/557386-done-what-do-u-guys-think.html

4. i have that 150 w all in sun system and it is so quiet it does not make any noise at all. and does not shake my box.

5. I find it hard to believe that yours makes no noise at all...maybe it's just how mine is setup...the fans certainly do not drown the noise out, maybe yours do. The box doesn't actually "shake," it just feels like it vibrates a bit when lightly touched.

You're right it doesn't have a large coverage area, it's 2x2 at best...one plant would be ideal so it gets all the benefits of the light, but I think two small plants would do well enough

Nice buds, by the way. Congratulations!

6. Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! Im going to have about 8 cfls on the sides and anywhere else they can be the most useful. The room is going to be lined with white poly. Can you guys tell me a little more info about ventilation with these? I have a pretty powerful oscillating fan right now, will that still be ok? You guys have some great results! Good stuff.

7. Ventilation, in any grow, requires an exhuast and an accompanying intake system. The light itself has no ventilation system other than "vents," or holes, made in the hood.

Ideally, the intake should be positioned at the bottom of the box, while the exhaust is up top - this will not only get rid of heat from the light, but the rest of the box as well (heat rises, after all). It also provides a flow of air that moves around/over your plants rather than just across the bottom.

The exhaust should also be a bit stronger than the intake - this way the air does not have as long to sit around and heat up, and your box is provided with a more constant flow of fresh air.

Of course, your ventilation setup will all depend on how your grow room/box is setup...just do the best with what you've got/can acquire.

Good luck!

8. Ok some people on are saying some outrageous things. The sun system 150 watt hps makes practicly no noise at all for me and cover 4 plants with ease. They are al healthy and there longer wingspan wize than heigth and the heat is amazing for the plants, but when i shut the door it can get up to 85 but when i get home from work i open up the door and it goes down to 78 and this is all when fan is on

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. i saw one on ebay for 89 bucks free shipping and i was so considering getting it but its not necessary my babes are doing fine

10. It's not "outrageous" if it's true for some people. I know my setup makes a bit of noise, it hums rather noticeably...I just want this dude to be prepared for it if he runs into the same issue.

The more watts/lumens you have per plant, the better off that particular plant will be...that's why I've suggested just one or two plants under the 150w. I've no doubt you can get 4 plants under there, but would you deny that they would be even happier with one light per plant?

$89/no shipping is a good deal...I got mine here:

Sun System® HPS 150 Grow Light Fixture from Growco Indoor Garden Supply

it was the cheapest I could find (did not look at eBay though), but shipping would be attached to that.

11. thanks for the feedback guys. i don't mind a little hum as long as the improvements in my garden outweigh the hum haha. i'm also going to have 8 cfls in there with white poly lining the room. how does this sound for two plants? will a normal oscillating fan work or should I look I to something bigger? also, what is this 150 watt hps going to do to my electric bill? thanks for the help and discussion everyone!

12. The light setup you describe should be great for two plants. Keep an eye on the temperatures, with all those lights the temps might get pretty high (the CFLs alone don't add a lot of heat, but altogether they might make a difference).

A "normal" oscillating fan should be fine, just make sure it isn't too strong to knock down the seedlings when they emerge. You might want to look into some kind of exhaust system as well, which I mentioned a few posts up.

The impact on your elec. bill will depend on your rates. The instruction manual that comes with the setup includes some handy charts that can help you guesstimate your additional charges.
    According to the chart I have here for the SunSystem 4 150w, @ 6cents/kwh, running 12/12 will add $3.56/per 30days. Again, it all depends on your rates and how long you run the light.

13. cool, thanks a lot for the info! you guys are getting me stoked for this. I have pretty much everything I need. I hope it goes well! oh and you said 3.56 per 30 days. does that mean 3.56 every day or every thirty? sorry I guess I'm a bonehead haha.

14. I have that system also, it only hums for about 5 min then silent, also no shaking. On the directions it said if you use metal halide lamps you must have glass covering your reflector.

I am using the sun system and 2 42wcfl daylight spectrum, and a 23w 2700 spectrum. growing three plants right now and they are growing nicely. Hope this helps

15. ebay is cheapest got it for 69 dollars

16. 3.56 every thirty days, total.

17. #17 organic riffs, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2010
    I just put some white polly in my room. what a crazy difference this stuff makes! anyone else using this? I think once that light gets here and with the polly stuff, Ill finally have my small closet I've been lookin for!