Sun pulse splitter

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by L.H.Budz, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Has anyone used sun pulse splitter with 600 watt 3k bulbs and if so how did they compare too 600 watt hps

Sent from my Clear using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I take it no one I will let u guys know

3. #3 bananamber, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    I've never used it, but looking at the numbers, something ain't right with that.

The splitter requires a 1kW ballast. Putting 1.2kW on a transformer with a 1kW max load will melt the coils due to increased resistance (More current on a current-limiting transformer = More resistance = More heat).

I'd surmise that the Sun Pulse 600W bulbs are really only 500W bulbs. Considering they say to only use Sun Pulse bulbs on the splitter, I don't think it's just a marketing ploy to sell their own bulbs. That, or the splitter is dimming the bulbs to require only 500W.

2 600W bulbs requires 10 amps. A 1kW transformer on 120v is designed to handle up to 8.3amps. Any draw over 8.3 amps will be converted into thermal energy by the transformer (The current-limiting bit).

Maybe someone with better knowledge of the Sun Pulse splitter, ballast and bulb would know for sure what the deal is.

4. #4 dangerous1, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    \nThe spec sheet of my ballast (not solis tek) has a rated input current of 9.2@120v and a maximum current at 12.3. To me, this indicates that the ballast can draw and covert the amperage efficiently until that draw is met. 8.3 @ 120v only comes out to 996w which is not accurate for draw of a bulb and ballast considering it takes energy to convert the voltage.  Additionally, the Solis Tek has a boost setting that supposedly gives 5% increase in output which will naturally increase the draw normally required for a 1000w bulb/ballast on a 120v circuit.
    \nI was considering using the splitter and I still am but the $$$ to buy the splitter and the 600 bulbs is enough to buy an independent ballast and bulb.

5. Thanks I can get pretty good deal on them from a friend how owns a grow store so I will let u know I am mainly doing this for the coverage and the fact that one 1000 is less amp draw then 2 600 and the spec on the bulbs say it creates more usable light then hps

6. quick update sorry its took so long have had them running for a week and a half my plants have not slowed down any if not picked up I am growing in a 8x8 tent I have one 600 Watt with hps in the center and one 1000 Watt split with a 3 k on one side and a 10 k on other side of room I run a 8 plant progressive harvest and rotate plants from one side of room to other as they finish I definitely seen a difference with the 10 k bulb on resin production