Sun Exposure

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by trueshoe, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Which direction (North,East,South,West) is the best to have the most exposed to the Sun?...

I have a clearing and am wondering if which treeline I should plant closer too

2. Well that post of yours was quite counterproductive now wasn't it?...

3. #3 krippy, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
    i wanna say east. the sun rises from the east sets on the west.

so if your on the east coast, you want the east sun in the morning because its perfect, warm and bright with a ton of dew(in S.Fl anyway) and i know the plants love it

4. #4 cantharis, Apr 10, 2009
    OK, this is obviously going to have to be spelt out. You want maximum sun exposure for your plants, you want to receive the geatest number of lumens for as long as possible.

This will be achieved by choosing a SOUTH facing exposure, the sun at noon is due south, the sun will be in view for the longest time, and will achieve the maximum elevation above the plant for the longest possible time.

Whimsical thoughts about morning dew are irrelevant, we want LIGHT.

NB, if you are in Oz, then it is north.

5. I disagree. This is a big mistake you can make if you're growing guerilla, like most people here. If it's south, make sure it's shaded by some trees and bushes. Or they'll die of thirst real quick, and/or be too visible. It's possible but you'll need a water source and a discrete way in to water. Greed isn't good when growing guerilla.
    North: no. A few hours in the morning is not enough to grow decent buds. Can be good in 1st month though.
    East: Morning and mid day/afternoon sun.
    West: Mid day and afternoon/evening sun.

Choose your spot with a compass. You'll be thankful they're not facing South when the Summer heat hits your plants without mercy.

6. Agree with Cantharis.

The sun strikes an arc from east to west along the southern horizon (in the norther hemisphere)

For maximum sun exposure choose a spot with a clear view to the south.

7. Corto's point is well taken. While the plants will get MAX sun with a southern exposure, that may be too much during the heat of summer.

I line my plants up so they are exposed to the south, but protected on the west. This gives them all of the morning sun and protects them from the heat of the afternoon.

8. #8 cantharis, Apr 10, 2009

Trueshoe, in his opening post, specifically asked which direction would have MOST exposure to the sun.

That remains the SOUTH.

Agree with your comments Corto, but you are answering a different question.

9. It is South, for sure.

For the first time I woke up on the right side of the bed, and it seems many other members did not. It almost makes me feel a tiny bit better than I initially did. C'mon guys, it's Friday.

10. Haha yeah, cmmooon guys, cant we just be a happy family of guerillas?:)