Sun burn or tap water?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by skibestoner, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Ok so here it goes, i started a green crack clone inside under a 300 watt equivalent cfl. howerev due to complications i had to put it outside :confused: Anyways its not to bad because here in socal its really nice out hig 70's in the day low 40's at night. So I put my clone in a spot that got about 6 hours of direct sunlight and went back the next day to find the fan leaves white and some curling, like the chloroplast just got burned out of them. So i put it in the shade where its only getting about 2-3 hrs of direct light. The first day i put it oustide i also gave it about a gallon of tap water with a weak nute soultion. What do you guys think, my moneys on sun burn but not quite sure. Also sense it was on an 24 hr light cycle inside its gonna bud now so i'm wondering if the burnt leaves will effect the flowere? Thanks for any help. Oh also inside i had it in a 2/3 prlite 1/3 peat mixture and added a few handfuls of top soil when i put it outside.

2. I don't think either is the problem. I've found when leaves turn white that it is a definite indicator that something is too cold(water or air). My brother just did the same thing with his plants by using cold water. With it being winter here in Indiana he left his water on the floor of his grow building and the water probably got down to the 40's during the night. The next morning he got up and used the water without thinking about it. The stress showed about 8 hours later. 2 days later the plants had recovered and no problems after. The leaves that turned white did die though.;)

3. Hmm thanks Simple that helps so should i put it back in the sun? Do you think the soil mixture is to airy and making the roots more cold at night? Would a transplant into one with more soil help?

4. #4 SimpleHoosier, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
    Your problem is that it's getting down in the 40's. Not much you can do about that besides getting them inside. If that's not an option, just hope for warmer temps at night. I used to live in Barstow, CA, so I know how cold it can get at night. I don't really know what else to tell you, besides growing outdoors in the winter is not optimal, even in SoCal.:(

I've found that 50 is like the Mendoza line for growing cannabis. Anything below that line and you take a definite risk of problems resulting from the low temps. Most people use 60 as their absolute lowest temp that they are willing to subject their plants to.

5. Dang so if the weather doesnt improve the frost will contiue to freeze my leave? Well its not supposed to drop below 50 for the rest of the week. My seeds are fine but the clone is just so fragile. Thank you Simple that helped a lot i'll try getting her inside at night. So that means i should stick her back into the spot with the most sunlight right?

6. Yes, the sun won't hurt it.