Summer Solstice two days away! Anyone else excited about this ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by msguerilla, Jun 19, 2016.

1. One day away from the longest day of the year, and two days away from the daylight hours descent. Any comments on strains and how many hours of darkness starts them flowering ?

2. Iirc, most strains flower at about 12 hours dark / 12 hours light, some can go a little longer, but when you push 13 it will mess with them { autoflowering strains obviously excluded }

Unless of course you go with the gas lantern method, which is a rather brilliant way to trick plants

I'd love to hear from others who have experience with strains that flower differently than the norm, always cool to hear about, probably some old land race genes, I would imagine, maybe some long season equatorial sativas

And as far as solstice, yes, I knew, it's something I've studied as part of my interest in ancient mathematical astronomy and the problem of quadrature in the three-body system

• Like Like x 1
  3. 14.5 is the trigger point for most photoperiod cannabis plants that's why just June and July are dependable veg months outside.. June 21 means I'm half way through my dependable veg time as come mid Aug I'll have plants showing flower for sure..
    I'm So Cal and can play flower games all year long outside but I only get 2 free veg months a year..
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  4. I had some White Widow years ago and the third week of July it was flowering.. I was a noob and kept telling my buddy no way it could be flowering cuz 12 hours wasn't until September. I got that seed from Marc Emerys old seen bank in B.C

5. Interesting, I can't really go past 13ish with any of my strains { some start to attempt to reveg }, but I'm not doing my thing outdoors and have no experience there

6. My opinion only here but I think in an outdoor environment it's more that just dark hours. Like other factors that determine just how much darkness is needed.

7. Well, you could probably work out some BOTE calcs to get an idea of the amount of PAR it takes to activate hormones via something like a Yield Photon Flux (YPF) curve, as that is what was developed by taking low-light level measurements on single leaves to determine the effect on photosynthesis

Then you might compare the DLI { Daily Light Integral } for various latitudes to genetic fingerprints in Cannabis that have been charted according to their original genetic land races to access the effects of light as they pertain to genetics

I don't think it would be hard, but I do think cannabis strains should start being genetically sequenced just as a matter of science

• Like Like x 1
  8. I do all my flower work outside under the sun and mostly run a garden shed with T5 high outputs to do my vegging under.. Dusk till dawn Solar lights can be also be used here all but the 2 shortest months.. Not enough charge time and I had flower issues
    The best results I've had are starting seeds under 15-9 or 16-8 and setting them out June 1st.. For here in So Cal that seems to be the best match and I have the fewest early flowering issues running like that..
    As you move further north that day will advance slightly..
    While the moon is not enough light to hold a plant in veg or mess with it's flowering nor is the back scatter light from the city in general but the street light that shines in just this one spot into the yard IS enough to mess up a plant and that zone is useless to me..
    [​IMG]
    This is a 70 lumen 6 hour burn time light on it's half power 35 lumen 10 hour setting and each one will hold about 5 plants in veg except Dec and Jan..
    Tried this same thing on a single smaller clone and a 5 lumen light and it wasn't enough light..
    So there you go some hard learned empirical date to work with..
    10 different strains so the numbers work across a wide range of strains
    [​IMG]
    This set was vegged up without disturbing the plants just 30 feet away finishing flower for my spring run..
    I'm in a zero frost area and flower 4 sets a year outside by taking cuts, making clones, vegging up and tossing a new set out every 90 days like clockwork..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. That's a nice set up brass. I see you have wood shading the sides of those containers. I'm just wondering why you don't put em in the ground ?

10. San Diego CO